• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Shop Odyssey

42 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am moving here tomorrow all the way from California to Ohio. My Dad is flying in later to day to help me move. Along our way across the country we wanted to do something fun, kinda make a road trip of it. He told me "any comic book stores you want to stop by just say the word and well stop by." I think im starting to get him into the hobby slowly but steadily.

So thats what im here to ask. What are the best comic book stores in the Nation in between So Cal and Ohio? Our main route is 1-40 and route 66 but dont mind making small detours. I will also be in St, Petersburg, Florida in couple weeks too visiting my sister so any recommendations there would be much appreciated. I will be on the road tomorrow morning so i will try and reply if and when i can. O and please include store name and address. Thanks in advance to all ideas! :grin:

maybe list which cities you expect to go thru?

There are lots of routes between the generic "southern california" and "ohio"

Im guessing you will go thru:

Flaggstaff, AZ

Albuquerque, NM

Amarillo, TX

Tusla, OK

Springfield, MO

Indianapolis, IN

did I guess right?

If you make it as far south as Austin Texas: Austin Books & Comics is a great store...

If you are headed to Columbus OH then The Laughing Ogre is a huge and well thought of shop...

Flaggstaff, AZ

Albuquerque, NM

Amarillo, TX

Tusla, OK

Springfield, MO

Indianapolis, IN

did I guess right?

If you make it as far south as Austin Texas: Austin Books & Comics is a great store...

If you are headed to Columbus OH then The Laughing Ogre is a huge and well thought of shop...

Yes sorry, pretty much dead on. Our main route is I 40 and Route 66 but nothing is set in stone just yet.

Flaggstaff, AZ

Albuquerque, NM

Amarillo, TX

Tusla, OK

Springfield, MO

Indianapolis, IN

did I guess right?

I second that.

We have no good comic shops i'n San Antonio. : (

Austin actually has key books for sale.

First stop in our journey was to my personal LCS in Vista, Ca named Invincible Ink. Great store with an amazing selection of graphic novels. The owner is extremely nice and will always help you find anything you need, although I personally like to hunt and dig until Im about leave before i ask for assistance. The only downfall to this shop is its a modern only store (which helped me to pull 6 Thief of Thieves #1 a couple weeks ago). Im not a huge SA or GA collector but i always enjoi a variety. Definitely worth the visit especially with the latest image comics craze. While there i purchased only a few comics

Chew #24

Fatale #2 (1st print)

Detective Comics #8

Photobucket

Our next stop brought us all the way to Flagstaff, AZ. There was absolutely nothing, as far as comic shops go, in between them. We finally stopped at Cab Comics just off Route 66 after a couple hours of mundane driving in the Mojave Desert. Once again another great store for modern comics and they even had a small assortment of SA comics. This shop however splits part of its real estate with magic the gathering. Totally fine by me im just not a fan. The owner Cory was awesome, He helped me find a couple comics that somehow eluded my meticulous search and even gave me a free bumper sticker(they're free anyways lol) . Made a couple purchases there, all moderns again.

A vs X 0 2nd print variant

Thief of Thieves 1-3 (#1 2nd print)

Chew #21

Popeye #1 Action comics cover swap. Amazing cover!

Danger Club #1

Photobucket

Also stopped by Hastings, a chain store, which was across the street from Cab Comics. They do not take care of there comics at all and I saw multiple people dent the hell out of the new comics when they picked them up. But still i was able to find a couple good comics.

Suicide Squad 2 & 3

Chew 14 & 22, I buy most any chew i can get my hands on. Great series.

Walking Dead 92 & 93

Sorry since it wasnt an actual comic store and a "chain" i didnt snap a picture. Kind of a slow start for now but im really hoping the best is yet to come.

Modern only stores, ick. I'm of the impression that Modern comics will be available in high grade in large numbers forever, and collectability wise won't be worth a darn (or thanks to Hastings maybe there won't be as many!)

Nice idea for the comic 'tour' though, I look forward to reading more.

Wasnt able to go by any comic shops today :( . We decided to stop and see the Grand Canyon and the Meteor crater on our way through Arizona. Breathtaking to say the least. But by the time we made it into Albuquerque it was already past 7 and all the comic shops were closed up for the night. However there is about 7 comic shops within a 10 mile radius of us so we are going to try and hit them all bright and early tomorrow so stay tuned.

Photobucket