• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow Up to: How Have These boards Changed: The End Of The Boards

11 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the stories of how the CGC boards have changed over the years.

Here is a follow up question/scenario:

You wake up one bright Saturday morning and go check how "the boys" are doing in the CGC Forum. HUH!!! They are gone. Not temporarily down, but GONE! Even the link to the forum on the CGC website has disappeared. Now I'm not talking CGC has disappeared, just the message boards. You see a note on the CGC website declaring that due to high maintenance fees, etc., the company has decided to end this free service. No more CGC boards. Your PMs are gone. All your contact info, everything, GONE! What do you do? Where do you go? Is there anyplace we all know to congregate in a situation like this? Oh, the terror!

Alternate ending:

Same scenario as above except that Arch leaves us a notice on the boards that there is a one week notice until the boards are shutting down for good. OK, that leaves us time to finish some business and establish a new home, etc. Would we all gather at the exact stated "shutdown time" for one final united lights out?

Just a "What If" --------Sid

You wake up one bright Saturday morning and go check how "the boys" are doing in the CGC Forum. HUH!!! They are gone. Not temporarily down, but GONE! Even the link to the forum on the CGC website has disappeared. Now I'm not talking CGC has disappeared, just the message boards. You see a note on the CGC website declaring that due to high maintenance fees, etc., the company has decided to end this free service. No more CGC boards. Your PMs are gone. All your contact info, everything, GONE! What do you do? Where do you go? Is there anyplace we all know to congregate in a situation like this? Oh, the terror!

Alternate ending:

Same scenario as above except that Arch leaves us a notice on the boards that there is a one week notice until the boards are shutting down for good. OK, that leaves us time to finish some business and establish a new home, etc. Would we all gather at the exact stated "shutdown time" for one final united lights out?

I know how this one ends up. Deathlok starts a "save CGC with your donations" email fund drive, an "anonymous" member offers to match all contributions, and we are back in business -- but not until several members have liquidated large portions of their collections to attract more donations. acclaim.gif

I would hpoe a one week (if not 30 day) notice would be posted.

It would ruin many relationships and deals that happen daily here if all the contact info in PMs were suddenly unavailable. frown.gif

Sid, what the heck are you thinking?

Telling CGC that we would pay money for these boards!

Man alive... Don't you know better than to buy a cow when you're getting the milk for free???

Some people... foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Realistically I can't see a single deal getting left behind if the boards were suddenly gone. I have email addresses and snail mail addresses for at least 2/3 of the regular posters, and I am sure that drbanner and bronzebruce13 (among others) do as well . There are sixteen board members' phone numbers programmed into my cell phone, and given that I actually have BUGABOO's home address and phone number I can't imagine that there is more than three degrees of separation between any forumites.

I don't see any realistic scenario where the boards disappeared, but even if they did, there are very, very few people who would be completely out of the loop...

Alternate ending:

I actually thought this happened!!

It wasnt a bright Sat. morning (more like a crappy Monday) and I tried to get onto the boards but I kept getting a "Cant find address" message. 893frustrated.gif I panicked until I saw that I was using the wrong link to the boards (I had done some computer housekeeping and rearranging the prior night!) foreheadslap.gif

Man alive... Don't you know better than to buy a cow when you're getting the milk for free???

Some people... foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Hey, I'm not the one that said anything about us paying for these boards. ----Sid tongue.gif

What do you do? Where do you go? Alternate ending:

I more then likely would shake me haed.. stare at the Monitor.... awake from my Comic Forum stupor.. then laugh and realize I have lots of Glass work to do.. a baby to play with, a yard to mow, books to read, family to see, and a life to live.

And turn of the computer.. and walk away.

But the board is still here.... so I am forced to keep typing....

27_laughing.gif

Cant break away from it's spell.

That CGC voodoo has me in it's grip.

Lesson I just learned from my post... go outside.. it's loverly.

What? Are you insane? Ok, I know the answer to that last question. Do you have any idea how easy it would be to host this board somewhere else? The only down-side would be trying to archive everything before the admins figured out what you were doing. devil.gif

What do you do? Where do you go? Alternate ending:

I more then likely would shake me haed.. stare at the Monitor.... awake from my Comic Forum stupor.. then laugh and realize I have lots of Glass work to do.. a baby to play with, a yard to mow, books to read, family to see, and a life to live.

And turn of the computer.. and walk away.

But the board is still here.... so I am forced to keep typing....

27_laughing.gif

Cant break away from it's spell.

That CGC voodoo has me in it's grip.

Lesson I just learned from my post... go outside.. it's loverly.

Ze-, that's kind of what I was getting at. Our lives would go back to normal. Or wait..... maybe our addiction to these boards is the "new" normal for us. Just wondering if we'd walk away or try to somehow reunite. confused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid