• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting discussion about exclusive deals

347 posts in this topic

There's a local Ice Cream shop in Duniden, FL (next to Cleawater) that has the BEST Carrot Cake Ice Cream.. HOME MADE

Yea there is a Home Made Ice Cream place just down the road. They mix it every morning. Apparently I have had to much though because I was informed by wife on the way home today that we could not stop for Milk Shakes. Like wtf just out of the blue I didnt even ask she just knew what I was thinking.

So DWC is facilitating a Stan signing at a show. I want to get 5 books signed by Stan and put under my account. Please let me know my options if I do not want to go through WDC or pay a fee to put books under my own account?

:popcorn:

Would you not buy the signature tickets, go to the CGC booth grab witness have them wait in the Stan line with you with your books.

Oh of course you need to give the witness pie (key lime or carrot) or 5 hour energy drink or maybe reader trade paperbacks while you are in the Stan line to pass the time.

Then back to the CGC booth of course extra CGC fees if you want extra signatures on the book (& more lines, $5 if you want to get a Campbell sig) & another CGC fee if all your books do not fit on one invoice or span multiple tiers.

At the end of the day you skip lunch again & want to know where that microbrewery is

And, again, you're missing my point entirely.

I have plenty of experience with all facets of the Signature Series program, from both sides of the fence. So, please, if you'd refrain from any more "you don't know what it's like" and "you don't understand the hard work involved" replies, it would be much appreciated - I do know what it's like and am fully aware of the hard work involved, thank you.

If you want to employ DWC in a business capacity to handle all your SS stuff, that is your prerogative; I've used them in the past as well and have no complaints. These days I'd rather handle the books myself and, fortunately, that's my prerogative as well. Your continued insistence that the "best" way of doing things is to simply hand a stack of cash & your books over to DWC is rather insulting, though - that may be the best way for you, but it's certainly not the best way for everyone.

Ultimately it all boils down to this: a facilitator, through a seemingly exclusive non-exclusive agreement with a specific creator, has set themselves up to receive a piece of the monetary pie every time the creator signs a book going to CGC - whether they're actually providing a service or not. If you don't realize how much of a slippery slope that is, then, yes, there really isn't much more to discuss.

Ok, Glad you have something else to whine about but don't put words in my mouth. I never said "you don't know what it's like" or "you don't understand the hard work involved". How could I when from the first time you responded to my post you had a holier than thou attitude with the "I have to be kidding" and how I "seem to be laboring under a serious misapprehension".

I guess your just projecting though since it was you with the all knowing, condescending attitude that had to let me know how you "facilitate shows from time to time" and then asked the question, "You want to know what the established and approved system for SS is?" And of course you didn't need to wait for an answer before dropping some knowledge, as if I had no clue.

I know, I know your right and I'm wrong. If people don't see it your way then they are " :screwy:" as you say. But the funny thing is as it stands you are wrong because it is not conducted in the way you speak of. Sure some boardies may agree with you but what does that get you?

Stan does many public signings at conventions that DWC is nowhere near like with Marvel or Viz Media so why not just go to those and get FREE Stan Lee sigs for your signature series collection and not even bother with DWC.

Or even better, you keep talking about having some choice or options so stop complaining and just use whatever options or choices you have to go get your Stan Lee sigs the exact way you want.

To me you keep coming off like a whiny baby. Something not working for you? Then suck it up big boy, formulate another plan that does and do it better than the other guy. Now what's so hard about that?

I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but you don't seem to have much of a clue, though.

You started out by saying I was trying to "circumvent the established and approved system" because I didn't feel like paying a fee to DWC for doing nothing. Then it was on to DWC suddenly being the "official" facilitator and we shouldn't waste CGC's time by trying to facilitate books ourselves. And then there was a lot of nonsense about how people undervalue DCW's service, don't understand the possibilities (whatever that means) and how you're so happy that you can pay other people to handle your books for you & how you just can't understand why everyone doesn't want to do the same thing.

Did I miss anything?

Nothing holds a candle to this gem, though:

But the funny thing is as it stands you are wrong because it is not conducted in the way you speak of. Sure some boardies may agree with you but what does that get you?

So ... I'm not wrong because I think charging the same fee whether you're performing a service or not is ridiculous - I'm wrong because they're currently able to do so & CGC hasn't cracked down on it yet? Congratulations - that is without a doubt the dumbest thing posted in this thread (yet) :applause:

Keep drinking that Kool Aid, big guy - I'm sure it is real yummy!

So DWC is facilitating a Stan signing at a show. I want to get 5 books signed by Stan and put under my account. Please let me know my options if I do not want to go through WDC or pay a fee to put books under my own account?

:popcorn:

Would you not buy the signature tickets, go to the CGC booth grab witness have them wait in the Stan line with you with your books.

Oh of course you need to give the witness pie (key lime or carrot) or 5 hour energy drink or maybe reader trade paperbacks while you are in the Stan line to pass the time.

Then back to the CGC booth of course extra CGC fees if you want extra signatures on the book (& more lines, $5 if you want to get a Campbell sig) & another CGC fee if all your books do not fit on one invoice or span multiple tiers.

At the end of the day you skip lunch again & want to know where that microbrewery is

You can't do that with Stan Lee or DWC. CGC will not allow it.

So ... I'm not wrong because I think charging the same fee whether you're performing a service or not is ridiculous - I'm wrong because they're currently able to do so & CGC hasn't cracked down on it yet? Congratulations - that is without a doubt the dumbest thing posted in this thread (yet) :applause:

Oh awesome, I posted the dumbest thing in this thread and all because you said so. :acclaim: and so it is written lol GTFO! :roflmao:

I have plenty of experience with all facets of the Signature Series program, from both sides of the fence. So, please, if you'd refrain from any more "you don't know what it's like" and "you don't understand the hard work involved" replies, it would be much appreciated - I do know what it's like and am fully aware of the hard work involved, thank you.

If you want to employ DWC in a business capacity to handle all your SS stuff, that is your prerogative; I've used them in the past as well and have no complaints. These days I'd rather handle the books myself and, fortunately, that's my prerogative as well. Your continued insistence that the "best" way of doing things is to simply hand a stack of cash & your books over to DWC is rather insulting, though - that may be the best way for you, but it's certainly not the best way for everyone.

Ultimately it all boils down to this: a facilitator, through a seemingly exclusive non-exclusive agreement with a specific creator, has set themselves up to receive a piece of the monetary pie every time the creator signs a book going to CGC - whether they're actually providing a service or not. If you don't realize how much of a slippery slope that is, then, yes, there really isn't much more to discuss.

Ok, Glad you have something else to whine about but don't put words in my mouth. I never said "you don't know what it's like" or "you don't understand the hard work involved". How could I when from the first time you responded to my post you had a holier than thou attitude with the "I have to be kidding" and how I "seem to be laboring under a serious misapprehension".

I guess your just projecting though since it was you with the all knowing, condescending attitude that had to let me know how you "facilitate shows from time to time" and then asked the question, "You want to know what the established and approved system for SS is?" And of course you didn't need to wait for an answer before dropping some knowledge, as if I had no clue.

I know, I know your right and I'm wrong. If people don't see it your way then they are " :screwy:" as you say. But the funny thing is as it stands you are wrong because it is not conducted in the way you speak of. Sure some boardies may agree with you but what does that get you?

Stan does many public signings at conventions that DWC is nowhere near like with Marvel or Viz Media so why not just go to those and get FREE Stan Lee sigs for your signature series collection and not even bother with DWC.

Or even better, you keep talking about having some choice or options so stop complaining and just use whatever options or choices you have to go get your Stan Lee sigs the exact way you want.

To me you keep coming off like a whiny baby. Something not working for you? Then suck it up big boy, formulate another plan that does and do it better than the other guy. Now what's so hard about that?

I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but you don't seem to have much of a clue, though.

You started out by saying I was trying to "circumvent the established and approved system" because I didn't feel like paying a fee to DWC for doing nothing. Then it was on to DWC suddenly being the "official" facilitator and we shouldn't waste CGC's time by trying to facilitate books ourselves. And then there was a lot of nonsense about how people undervalue DCW's service, don't understand the possibilities (whatever that means) and how you're so happy that you can pay other people to handle your books for you & how you just can't understand why everyone doesn't want to do the same thing.

Did I miss anything?

But the funny thing is as it stands you are wrong because it is not conducted in the way you speak of. Sure some boardies may agree with you but what does that get you?

There's no way CGC doesn't know the details of how signings by one of the biggest names in comics are being run.

Did I miss anything?

There's no way CGC doesn't know the details of how signings by one of the biggest names in comics are being run.

you really think that CGC has their fingers in that many different pies?

No, no, according to him they are doing something wrong and it's just a matter of time before they are caught and it is stopped. Which I think is also an insult to the fine folks at CGC who work with DWC hand in hand since it would suggest that they are either too dumb to stop being taken advantage of or are in cahoots with DWC to somehow rip you off. :facepalm:

Posted this in the original thread... felt I should copy it over here as well...

And Transplant like I said before, if you would care to step up and set up your own signing opportunities with any of these creators I am NOT stopping you. Thank you for your opinion and input.

Been reading this thread from the beginning, and then I come across this post from DWC.

I am not a big poster here on the boards, I use it mainly as a information resource, but after seeing this post by DWC, I had to say something.

DWC, how can you possibly say this with a clear conscience?

If you set the wayback machine to last summer, just prior to the Baltimore Comic Con (where you had another "exclusive" DWC Stan Lee signing) myself, and several other local comic fans/collectors/lovers had taken the opportunity to take advantage of a local, Baltimore area comic store's previously arranged private signing with Stan the night before the Con. This private event had been arranged with Stan's people long before the show and had no conflict with your (DWC) signing at the Con on Saturday and Sunday.

Imagine how shocked I was to learn, just prior to "our" private signing opportunity with Stan, that you had found out about "our" private signing with Stan, and how you called the owner of the local shop (you called him personally I might add) who had arranged this, through proper channels with Stan's people, as well as CGC, and informed him that you were in charge of all Stan's signing events, and that "our"signing would not be permitted to happen.

Myself, and most of the other participants in this signing, were trying to support a local business, and were hoping that we might be able to see Stan himself at the signing, as well as seeing our books signed by the man himself. But, because this was a private signing, that you had no control of (or financial interest in) you just couldn't let it happen.

The local owner had to jump through every hoop imaginable to get our signing back on track after you selfishly tried to get our signing cancelled, just so your "exclusive public" signing at the Con would be the ONLY opportunity for local Baltimore comic fans to get their books done at.

How dare you try to come across as the good guy who is being persecuted when you tried to step on a small, local business, who had already arranged their event through the proper channels, just because you weren't getting your "exclusive".

Stop hiding behind your bs, because there are a lot of us who just aren't buying it anymore.

And for the record, I am a small collector who would love to get a Todd McFarlane sig on several of my books, but if the only way I can do it is to go through you in ANY way, I will just never bother, because I will never put a dime of my money in your pocket...

And to be clear, this is just in response to what you (DWC) said yourself... not meaning to on JRJR's Charity work....

-carry on-