• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experience with cracking existing 9.8 for SS

20 posts in this topic

If I'm able to actually make it into Heroes this year, I have a couple of books I'd like signed... I already have them 9.8 slabbed and am wondering if I should go look for raw candidates or just deslab what I already have. I assume books get regraded after SS and not just reholdered with the same grade...

If you've done this, has your experience been that the books typically come back as 9.8's still or is it more likely to drop a grade?

(I'm thinking Destroyer Duck 1 with Aragones and E-Man 1 with Staton)

Yes, if the book is signed it will have to be regraded.

I've cracked a ton of books for SS and the vast majority of them have stayed the same grade, with a couple going up and a couple going down. If you actually inspect the book before cracking it - eg. don't blindly trust that all CGC 9.8s are the same - your chances of the book retaining its grade drastically improves.

don't blindly trust that all CGC 9.8s are the same
+1. I have some 9.8s that I would never crack because there is no way they would come back a 9.8. I have cracked about 10 blue labels now for SS opps and so far all have stayed a 9.8 after the signing and regrading.

+1. I have some 9.8s that I would never crack because there is no way they would come back a 9.8. I have cracked about 10 blue labels now for SS opps and so far all have stayed a 9.8 after the signing and regrading.

I know you were shaking like a chicken eating poop through a barb wire fence when you cracked that Platinum 492.

Ditto. I have a 9.8 that if I cracked could come back 9.4. Make sure to give the book a really good look over to see if you think it's a 9.8 before thinking about cracking anything.

I know you were shaking like a chicken eating poop through a barb wire fence when you cracked that Platinum 492.

:roflmao:

You need to spend less time on the farm.

Little bit yea. I cracked 3 before it just to get the practice. Two of my modern JSA books were cracked just because I did not care about them and then I cracked the 2nd print 492 before moving to the platinum. As you can see though it all worked out

Batman492Plat-F.jpg

:whee:

If your nervous you can go through an experianced facilitator like DesertWind or one of the boardies (Joel Elad is excelent...and I'm sure there are many others). Usually you can pay a small fee like $3-$5 they will crack it / prep it for you. It would be best if you could provide them with your own Mylar when you ship your slab so they have something to place your book in once they crack the case for you.

I recently sent two slabbed books to DesertWind for the NYC con for Romita signatures. Marvel Authentix Spiderman 1 sent in as a 9.8 came back as a 9.8.

Wolverine 1 (1982) sent for Romita and Trimpe...sent to DesertWind as an old label 9.4 came back signed twice with a 9.6...Really pleased with that one!

I've also cracked a couple myself with no issues...Its not hard, just nerve racking if its a book that's real important to you. Once cracked a box cutter knife works excelent for removing the book from the inner sleave.

I also agree with all the other boardies that you have to make your own judgement on the condition of the book before deciding to crack the case.

The good news is...that in my humble opinion, some of the older slabs may have been graded more conservatively and might have a tendancy to come back to you with a +2 bump, assuming they are handled properly during the signing oportunity, and shipping process.

Good luck, have fun, signature series rocks. :)

I've not only cracked about 15 universals. I've had 9.8 SS books cracked out to add signatures, so far, with 100% success. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, there are facilitators on here I would trust with my most prized book ::coughRichHenn::cough::

I've not only cracked about 15 universals. I've had 9.8 SS books cracked out to add signatures, so far, with 100% success. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, there are facilitators on here I would trust with my most prized book ::coughRichHenn::cough::
lol

Do you include the old label for the census' sake? Or do you email/mail it in afterward?