• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Cal Comic Con 2012 - Nov 18, Special Guest: Marc Silvestri!

35 posts in this topic

We're happy to announce a few more artists coming to the show:

Brian Buccellato

Keu Cha

Ale Garza

We'll be announcing the Aspen lineup later this week, but it's safe to say you can expect to get your Lady Mechanikas double signed. :)

Lineup of artists now include:

Marc Silvestri - Guest of Honor

Eric Basaldua - Grimm Fairy Tales, Magdalena

Joe Benitez - Lady Mechanika, Wraithborn

Brian Buccellato - Flash, Foster

Keu Cha - Hex the Lost Tribe, Witchblade

Tony Fleecs - In My Lifetime, Wonderlost

Richard Friend - Batman the Dark Knight, Detective Comics

Joel Gomez - Detective Comics

Sina Grace - Lil Depressed Boy

Mike McKone - FF4, Amazing Spider-Man

Chris Moreno - Sidekick, Toy Story, Grimm Fairy Tales

Marat Mychaels - Deadpool, Blindside

Tone Rodriguez - Violent Messiahs, Simpsons, Mayhem

Joe Weems - Darkness

(Unfortunately, Mark dos Santos is unable to attend.)

We wanted to announce our first show exclusive comic for this show:

Darkness #108 So Cal Comic Con variant, featuring a classic Marc Silvestri/Joe Weems Darkness cover.

It's limited to a very scarce 250 copies and will be available at the show.

There will be a Sales Thread posted in Copper/Modern later this week where you can secure copies, CGC 9.8 and CGC SS 9.8 double signed copies as well, along with other 'show exclusive' goodies.

131918.jpg.be7d62a3c0c33f2e086d7e8a2e044bc9.jpg

131919.jpg.8c6e8fefb7de2e3f7add780815628793.jpg

Even though these guys incorporated the name ( CalComicCon ) of my established show into the name of their show ( So CalComicCon ), I still plan to exhibit. I have had a great time the past two years. No hard feelings. but my show is also in So Cal. so we will just have to work it out with a Vulcan death match or over some pints. whichever hurts less. tc_logo.jpg

Hey Everyone,

1 more day left till our show. Hope to see some of you there. You don't want to miss the "Vulcan Death Match!" J/k.... lol

Alot of great prizes and free grab bags to the 1st 100.

See you tomorrow (thumbs u

PRO - Good show. Got there at 10:15am and left at 1pm. Picked up some stuff. One SC43 for $50, glad I didn't get it and opened it up. The spine split was barely holding on to the book. Should have been sold cover less. Picked up stuff for the girl as well since one dealer was not helpful. I didn't see many people I knew or they didn't say hello to me. Great show.

CON - One dealer - located in the corner, would not even negotiate with my 4 yr. old for a doll she saw and wanted. He wanted $7. She only had $5 and really wanted it. He said no to her because it was a collectible. So we walked away and she was upset. I told her he was a bad man and wants $ more than seeing a smile on a child. I can't understand why a dealer wouldn't give a break to a small kid. That dealer will never see a dime from me ever.

Over all good dealers and a real comic book show. Class Acts everywhere there except 1 dealer.

I was wearing the THOR hat.

CON - One dealer - located in the corner, would not even negotiate with my 4 yr. old for a doll she saw and wanted. He wanted $7. She only had $5 and really wanted it. He said no to her because it was a collectible. So we walked away and she was upset. I told her he was a bad man and wants $ more than seeing a smile on a child. I can't understand why a dealer wouldn't give a break to a small kid. That dealer will never see a dime from me ever.

I think I know who you talking about. Same dealer called my friend a cheap for checking our the booth's cheaper items.

Review and sketches later!

PRO - Pretty much everything! Like what I've been telling Joel and Rey, this is the best show for it's size and price considering the big names in attendance. The raffles were fun (although I didn't win anything) and kept the majority of the crowd towards the end. The prizes for the last drawing were cool! An hour drive was no biggie. Venue was a major improvement from last year. The crowd that attended knows why they're there. Overall, two thumbs way up for this show. Excited to see what you guys got in store for next year.

CON - Ok so actually I just have one but nuthin to do with the show itself. Last week, Marvel came out with 4 blanks, and for some reason none of the exhibitors carried them. Boooo!

Now to the sketches. Only got 4 which is still cool considering the number of artists present.

Marat Mychaels

Dead Pooh vs. Dead Pool. In honor of the one-shot parody:

F461F955-1865-4F20-8F67-1BCB5E90BA6D-55014-000017A5238281F9.jpg

Marat Mychaels

Wolverine vs. The Avengers. This is a revised version of Marat's Hero Initiative sketch from last year. As soon as I saw that, I knew I just gotta get Marat to do this sketch. Had the option to get this colored, but I think it's fine as it is:

15E7DD8B-7488-4352-8EFD-12C8C0179982-55014-000017A51C8F7A81.jpg

Peter Steigerwald

Peter did a Wolverine #1 (Limited Series) homage before using Lady Mechanika characters. Once I got a hold of him and told him my theme, he was quick to agree on my specifics and came out with this. Peter's one and only sketch at SCCC. Lady Mechanika vs. Commander Winter:

8166EE7A-6CC1-4534-9507-5B1C798F4166-55014-000017A52A5F95A7.jpg

Marc Silvestri

Story of the show. The first 5 attendees in the Top Cow booth gets a free sketch from Marc. I was #6, doh! Throughout the day, 10 lucky winners were drawn from a raffle. Bought 5 tickets and didn't even come close. Before the last raffle drawing at 3pm, this guy came up to me and tried selling me his winning ticket for $20. I told him, I'm gonna see first if I win one in the last drawing. I didn't, but the guy disappeared. So towards the end of the show, I stood in line to get Silvestri's sig. The same guy came up to me and handed me the ticket. I told him I don't have $20. He said he's giving it to me for free, since he wants the sketch to go to someone who would appreciate it more. He said he's not really into comics and was just there for his cousin.The kindness of strangers! So here's the sketch. I know it's not Marc's best sketch out there. But this is still a great catch considering he only spent 15 minutes on this (he still has 2 sketches after me and 30 minutes to go) and the page is so glossy. To cap the coolness of this sketch, Marc did this on the back page of my Incredible Hulk #1 1:200 Sketch Variant.

1AA11A77-323D-4453-9649-F903929556CD-55014-000017A513A4C017.jpg

B767293 -

sorry we missed we at the show

JayCompany had ALL the recent Marvel Blank Sketch covers in stock, At/Near cover price, as well as a HUGE selection of previous Marvel Blanks, and the more recent DC ones too like Batman, JL, GL, Swampthing. We try to bring a stack everywhere we go...

As for the toy dealer that wouldn't go less on his prices-

While this situation is unfortunate, and I was not witness to the near transaction, it's not necessarily duty to meet the [prices that the buyer wants to pay. I don't go into a Banana Republic or a TRU, let alone a market and haggle over shirts or toys for my kid, or price of a monster energy drink. While i realize the perception of a convention dealer is different than a B&M, the reality that this guy is business for himself, without a big corporation behind him.

Again I was not witness to personalities involved, or the situation. But there's a ton of people exhibiting that do this for a living. $2 should not have been a big deal for any party to cave in- whether it was a dealer ultimately or the father making up the difference.

First off wanted to thank Joel and Rey for putting on a great show it was a small and intimate with a good number of pros and vendors I had a good time just leisurely perusing. This was my first time getting anything CGC'd so I want to give an extra thanks to Joel for helping a newbie out on the process, it is much appreciated sir!!!

Also it was good to meet a couple of boardies there B767293 I am glad to see you got a Silvestri sketch :D and another boardie but can't remember his handle doh! sorry :( I hope that Angelus sketch came out great :) .

Anyways looking forward to this show again next year :grin:

or the father making up the difference.

That was my reaction when reading it. Especially a father who apparently considered paying $50 for a comic, toss in the $2 for your girl! Or teach her about the cost of collectibles. But to say it was the dealer who wanted money more than seeing a child smile neglects the fact that the father apparently was more concerned with bashing said dealer to his kid than seeing the child smile as well. And I would think the dad has more responsibility here than the dealer, a total stranger.