• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magazines do not lay perfectly flat in CGC holders...

7 posts in this topic

I posted a thread about this some time back in comics general, and it is still something that is bugging me. Many of my CGC magazines seem to be slightly bent in the holder. It is as if the inner well is not perfectly flat and the magazine takes the shape of the well. The consequence of this is that the magazines noticeably bend so that the spines are slightly arched (imagine getting hold of both ends of spine and bending them downwards en route to cracking the spine). The bend is even more severe on the right hand side edge of the magazines.

I always keep my raw books perfectly flat like I think you're supposed to, and can't understand why there is no way that flatness cannot be consistently achieved in the CGC holder. I'm not talking about one-offs here - this seems to be the norm. Could this cause any damage to the books (when I get a 9.4 with a couple of spine stress marks in the middle area of the spine, I begin to wonder) or maybe influence the way the book will sit when eventually released from its holder. There were not many replies to my last thread about this, but now that there is a comic magazine forum...

"There were not many replies to my last thread about this, but now that there is a comic magazine forum... "

I don't have any CGC mags yet.

I'm just posting so you don't have to feel alone again. hi.gif

This is the kind of question you might try posting in the 'Ask CGC' forum. I am sure they must have tested the magazines with different holder types before settling on a suitably safe design. Maybe they are unaware of this problem? Is it possibly a 'damaged during shipping' issue?

Also, do you have a scan of the book so that we can see more clearly what you are talking about?

Anonymous posters aren't suppose to be able to start threads I thought...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Must be this new forum isn't up to snuff! sumo.gif

ARCH!