• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's you favorite?

45 posts in this topic

Dealer excuse why the book that he has and wants to sell you is worth more than any other on the planet.

I will start with a few of mine

1. I don't own the book. It's on consignment and I have to pay a lot to get it

2. I already have seventeen offers on it.

3. XYZ has one on his site for 10% more (which, coincidently has been there for over a year)

Just curious to hear from you fellow collectors as what I collect is tough to just get somewhere else. hi.gif

I wanted to CGC this book, but dont have the time, or money.

This book is RARE.. and OLD.

27_laughing.gif

It had a low distribution.

This book is in VG condition, but in NM its worth $5,000!!!

The Stan Lee signed sticker on the front cover REALLY adds to the value!

My all time favorite:

"I would send it to CGC and make an extra $40,000 by selling it certified, but they hate me there and say my books are restored. They only like giving good grades to the big players who also happen to own CGC"

27_laughing.gif

What a knuckle head foreheadslap.gif

"I don't make deals on books unless you buy a whole lot more than just that."

"Overstreet only reports prices from last year -- this isn't last year."

"I'm really having to pay to get books in this condition" -- said a/b a SS#4 VF except for the 1" back cover spine split he "forgot" to mention.

My all time favorite:

"I would send it to CGC and make an extra $40,000 by selling it certified, but they hate me there and say my books are restored. They only like giving good grades to the big players who also happen to own CGC"

27_laughing.gif

What a knuckle head foreheadslap.gif

You mean Jay Parrino and/or Steve Geppi don't own CGC and/or manipulate the certified market? shocked.gifforeheadslap.gifLIKELY STORY!!! devil.gif

Every once in awhile I get some humor flipping on the Coin Vault show on QVC. This topic reminds me of all the crazy pitches they use to try to sell people way over-priced coin "collectibles". Sometimes I wonder what a comic book show would be like on QVC --

"Top of the census!" (even though another 140 are graded at the same level)

"Graded a perfect Gem Mint 10!" (in a non-CGC holder)

"Only one-tenth of one percent have achieved this level of purrrfection!" (even though the comic was just published a few months ago thousands are available in NM and higher condition)

"Once these last ten sell out, that's it, we'll never be able to offer more" (until they unpack the next case in their warehouse)

"Just three months ago this comic retailed for twice as much!" (and it didn't sell then, either)

"A Gem Mint 10 just sold for over ten thousand dollars; if you can't spend money like that, your only chance at this comic is to get this 9.8 RIGHT NOW for a fraction of that cost - $1000!" (or, I could get an uncertified copy for $2.50)

"It's not every day that you can get your hands on a gem like this that is over a QUARTER CENTURY old!" (yes it is)

That's my break even price.

Oh man, I love that one.

I guess if the dealer sells at his break-even price, he makes it up on volume? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yea, what they really mean is "That's my break even price after I pay all of my operational costs and make a profit."

thumbsup2.gif