• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on spine ticks

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

What is the acceptable amount of spine ticks for NM, NM- and VF/NM? I get confused with this, as the Overstreet Grading Guide says you can not have any color breaking in these grades, but I see books that have the color breaking spine creases with grades above 9.0.

Overstreet is not CGC

That's true, that's why I'm wondering what one would consider standard for grades about 9.0 as far as spine stress/ticks go.

I have seen CGC 9.0's with up to 5 color breaking spine ticks

Thank you, that's very helpful. I was thinking it was in this range. (thumbs u

Overstreet is not CGC

That's true, that's why I'm wondering what one would consider standard for grades about 9.0 as far as spine stress/ticks go.

I have seen CGC 9.0's with up to 5 color breaking spine ticks

Plus edge wear. And corner wear. With a miswrap and poor centering a date stamp and printer creases just below a arrival date in grease pencil. No, I'm not kidding.

whatever CGC gives you. don't question it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is the right answer.

It could be that "up to 5 ticks" that the above poster mentioned seeing on a 9.0, could also get you an 8.5, or some other grade, on a different book..

I wish there was a definitive answer to this too. Sorry, but I don't think there is, at least certainly not from CGC.

Perhaps some seasoned veterans (collectors/dealers) out there have established their own methods though, I'd be interested to hear about those.

whatever CGC gives you. don't question it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is the right answer.

It could be that "up to 5 ticks" that the above poster mentioned seeing on a 9.0, could also get you an 8.5, or some other grade, on a different book..

I wish there was a definitive answer to this too. Sorry, but I don't think there is, at least certainly not from CGC.

Perhaps some seasoned veterans (collectors/dealers) out there have established their own methods though, I'd be interested to hear about those.

For me anyway, any more than 3 color-breaking spine ticks or dings eliminates it from any sort of 'NM' designation instantly, unless the rest of the book is pretty much flawless. Not sure if that makes me picky, but that's my thought.

Edited by Passport Comics

I have a lot of defects logged that I have been going over to try and learn more over the last 6 or so months. If I look at 10 books of each the average color breaking creases for my scanned 8.5 = 6.7. 9.0 = 2.2, and 9.2 was the same 2.2. I think the corners being sharp come into play quit a bit with the 9.0 and ups.

Remember overall grading of a book is subjective as in everybody has a opinion and with spine ticks its just part of the grading process.Spine ticks,the worse part is we dont really have a criteria from CGC,that is what makes them special!Personally having 5 spine ticks that break color would not be called 9.0 or above by me.

David

Davidking623

I have a lot of defects logged that I have been going over to try and learn more over the last 6 or so months. If I look at 10 books of each the average color breaking creases for my scanned 8.5 = 6.7. 9.0 = 2.2, and 9.2 was the same 2.2. I think the corners being sharp come into play quit a bit with the 9.0 and ups.

This is really helpful. I was thinking about that range. The first thing I always do is look at the corners. I guess when I am looking at books that are 9.0 or 9.2 that have sharp corners, the only thing I can think is that there must be some soiling or spine wear.

Sorry to revive this thread again, but I want to mention the slabbed comics that I bought from eBay and I am pretty upset with those purchases.

The first book was ASM # 300 graded by CBCS with a score of 9.2. This comic has 8 color break spine stresses.

The second book was Avenger Annual # 10 graded by CGC with a score of 9.6. This comic has 3 color break spine stresses. 

So to answer Comicsarefun's comment posted above, I think CGC and CBCS don't consider multiple color break spine stresses as multiple  defects. I believe they group the spine stresses # in a range and label the comic accordingly. For example, 4-6 spine stress will be labeled 9.4 while 7-8 spines stresses will be labeled 9.2. 

Edited by danchoi03

8 minutes ago, danchoi03 said:

Sorry to revive this thread again, but I want to mention the slabbed comics that I bought from eBay and I am pretty upset with those purchases.

The first book was ASM # 300 graded by CBCS with a score of 9.2. This comic has 8 color break spine stresses.

The second book was Avenger Annual # 10 graded by CGC with a score of 9.6. This comic has 3 color break spine stresses. 

So to answer Comicsarefun's comment posted above, I think CGC and CBCS don't consider multiple color break spine stresses as multiple  defects. I believe they group the spine stresses # in a range and label the comic accordingly. For example, 4-6 spine stress will be labeled 9.4 while 7-8 spines stresses will be labeled 9.2. 

5 year old thread. 

Dan, I'd imagine they do consider each color break spine stress.  They'll also consider the size of each spine stress and they'll also look at every other flaw in a book.  3 spine breaks and rounded corners might grade lower than another book with perfect corners and 7 spine breaks.

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

5 year old thread. 

Dan, I'd imagine they do consider each color break spine stress.  They'll also consider the size of each spine stress and they'll also look at every other flaw in a book.  3 spine breaks and rounded corners might grade lower than another book with perfect corners and 7 spine breaks.

I agree, but the way CBCS and CGC grading is so mysterious to me. I always thought a 9.6 cannot have more than 2 color break spine stresses or a 9.2 with more than 5 color break spine stresses. Both companies have their own system of grading and they don't follow the Street Grading guide. 

11 minutes ago, danchoi03 said:

The way the book looks now, as opposed to the way it looked when the grader's saw it, needs to be considered. Creases removed by a press, sometimes have a tendency to return. The graders see it hot off the press. You see it after it has had time to morph into an original state. Trust me, it happens. That's why grader's notes are important. You should be able to see the notes for free on your CBCS book. Unfortunately, the notes rarely give a specific number, just saying 'spine creases'.

1 minute ago, danchoi03 said:

I agree, but the way CBCS and CGC grading is so mysterious to me. I always thought a 9.6 cannot have more than 2 color break spine stresses or a 9.2 with more than 5 color break spine stresses. Both companies have their own system of grading and they don't follow the Street Grading guide. 

They definitely follow their own grading standards and it's not known to the public.  I've seen a lot of graded books that I didn't agree with the grade and I try to learn from them.