• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you accept returns for comic books you sell on eBay

32 posts in this topic

I would like to achieve Top Seller status but I am leery of accepting returns due to the fraud that could take place. Does anyone have a 14-day money back return policy and how has that worked out for you?

Thanks for your input.

I have been a victim of fraud many times in my early days of eBay, and hence the stoppage of all things fraud-related.

However, if eBay is gonna take my Power Seller and 20% discount away, I will start allowing returns, BUT THEY BETTER LET ME ASSESS MY 25% RESTOCK/RETURN FEE or eBay can demote me.

CAL been there done that

I have been a victim of fraud many times in my early days of eBay, and hence the stoppage of all things fraud-related.

However, if eBay is gonna take my Power Seller and 20% discount away, I will start allowing returns, BUT THEY BETTER LET ME ASSESS MY 25% RESTOCK/RETURN FEE or eBay can demote me.

CAL been there done that

....I'm getting ready to pretty much stop using eBay as a sales venue. They sent me a 1099K even though my sales were FAR less than 20K and now I heard rumblings about forcing me to extend the amount of time I must allow to pass for which I will accept returns....which basically freezes up my cash. Let's face it, if you can't decide whether you want to keep a comic within a few days....that shouldn't become MY problem. I offered returns on everything....even CGC, but I'm not trying to have someone buy a book from me and then 30 days later decide they want their. money back so they can get something else that popped up. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm trying to decide what to do in this regard as well. I would like to retain my Top Sellerness but that return window seems awfully excessive. I have been a victim of fraud/buyer idiocy way too many times. I consider myself a fair and reasonable seller. I think this just means that it is too easy for a fraudster to take advantage of me. :cry:

I don't think you have a choice on whether or not to accept returns, even if eBay wants you to feel like you have the option not to. All a buyer has to do is open a "significantly not as described" case, in which case you are forced to take the book back (and hope the same book is returned in the same grade). If you don't, eBay (through Paypal) will forcefully withdraw the money from your account and return it to the buyer. I don't see a lot of choice there.

I also saw that they will be extending the return window, which just means that you will be held hostage longer by buyers. eBay is very strongly slanted to buyers now, and sellers have no choice but to live by eBay's rules or decide not to do business there.

I don't think you have a choice on whether or not to accept returns, even if eBay wants you to feel like you have the option not to. All a buyer has to do is open a "significantly not as described" case, in which case you are forced to take the book back (and hope the same book is returned in the same grade). If you don't, eBay (through Paypal) will forcefully withdraw the money from your account and return it to the buyer. I don't see a lot of choice there.

Well, yes, there's that too.

I would like to achieve Top Seller status but I am leery of accepting returns due to the fraud that could take place. Does anyone have a 14-day money back return policy and how has that worked out for you?

Thanks for your input.

You should say you accept returns because even if you say you don`t accept returns you will have to if some buyers want a return,even CGC books.

An example is I could sell sombody on Ebay a cgc book and say no returns,but buyer may not like the glare of the cgc case for some reason and demand I give him a return. I then can do either two things like gladly take back the cgc comic book and give his refund or tell him no. If I tell him no,then buyer will file a complaint with Ebay and Paypal. Ebay and Paypal 99.9 percent of the time will side with buyer,so buyer will get back refund and then leave negative.

The best bet is acccept 14 days for returns,and yes even for CGC comics.

Think about it if people return 1000 dollar hdtvs and get their refunds back,so why would a $100 cgc refund be an exception?

If a buyer wants a refund he will get it,and it doesn`t matter if you accept returns or not.

.....eBay has certainly gotten rather presumptuous(sp?) lately. I don't like how my position as a seller is taken for granted by them. I don't even sell much there....about all I get is the ocassional low ball ( often rude) offer for my items. I've got an idea....how's about they refund my store fee each month that I fail to sell anything ? It's a shame, because eBay was a real boost to the hobby in the beginning.....but I do ( and always have) had an issue with being racketeered by Big Business. GOD BLESS....

For a small seller, a refund of Shipping Fee is a BIG thing, $4.90 priority flat rate mail for raw book or $10.85 for priority medium flat rate box is a LOT. If you get a few of these returns, you are basically selling/giving a raw book or CGC book for free or in some cases, take a negative $ hit. Ebay's return policy is out of wack.

.....eBay has certainly gotten rather presumptuous(sp?) lately. I don't like how my position as a seller is taken for granted by them. I don't even sell much there....about all I get is the ocassional low ball ( often rude) offer for my items. I've got an idea....how's about they refund my store fee each month that I fail to sell anything ? It's a shame, because eBay was a real boost to the hobby in the beginning.....but I do ( and always have) had an issue with being racketeered by Big Business. GOD BLESS....

Back in the days when eBay was really good (late 90s) they served basically as a middleman to connect buyers and sellers, and sellers had a lot of leeway to set their own terms. That worked out well. Lately it seems to me that eBay feels like THEY are the seller, and can thus set all the terms that the real sellers have to live by. I started to have a problem when they set maximum shipping amounts that could be charged for items like books and CDs. You can't ship a book for $4 without cutting into your very slim profit margins, even with media mail. And now that they are charging FVFs on that maximum shipping amount it is even more out of whack.

eBay does have its strengths (like breadth of market), but it has gotten to the point where you have to cross your fingers every time you sell something there. You always have to fear that one guy that doesn't think that a 99 cent comic that actually cost you money to sell to him was a good enough deal and decides to make your life hell. For the small sellers it just isn't worth the hassle most of the time.

I operate an eBay store (tabcom). Specializing in HP printer parts for 12 years now. :preach:

eBay has a simple policy regarding returns. The buyer can return anything for any reason and get their money back 100% of the time.

So as a marketing teaser, you should state returns accepted. Cuz you are going to lose if the buyer opens a dispute against you.

In addition, but unrelated, if you sell to some eBay neophyte that doesn't understand the feedback machinations behind the scenes, and they leaves you a negative feedback because their stupidity -- you guess it, eBay will not remove it. You get to wear that scarlet letter for a whole 12 months! AND eBay removes your seller discounts.

The game is fixed.

eBay now has set policy that if you're a Top Rated Seller you won't get any of the discounts unless you :

1. Have a 14-day return policy on ALL items.

2. List your handling time as 1 day.

3. Upload tracking information within your stated handling time.

Peace,

Chip

eBay now has set policy that if you're a Top Rated Seller you won't get any of the discounts unless you :

1. Have a 14-day return policy on ALL items.

2. List your handling time as 1 day.

3. Upload tracking information within your stated handling time.

Peace,

Chip

......Number 2 is unreasonable. Back before my spiritual awakening I probably would have said something to the effect of "I've got something they can handle..." , but I would NEVER do that now. GOD BLESS...

With over 70,000 line orders for comic books in over a decade, I do not recall ever having a problem with taking a return. It happens less than a handfull of times a year, 1-5 times. Last fall I moved to taking returns on CGC books also when Sparkle City did. I also have been adding back cover scans of CGC graded books this year to help buyers make good purchasing decisions.

I don't think anyone looks at TRS status - just the total amount of feedback and percentage, and maybe number of stars.

That being said I've probably sold around 500 items on ebay over the years, and always offer 7 day return on everything. I have yet to have anything returned, though I've returned a couple things myself. And I've never received a negative from a buyer, though I did get a neutral from one that was unhappy that I didn't charge exact shipping.

As a side note I'd estimate that roughly a quarter of all buyers don't leave feedback at all, usually low feedback bidders themselves.

I don't think anyone looks at TRS status

eBay does. I like saving 25% on all final value fees.

maybe number of stars.

eBay does. This is the most important thing to have up there as far as selling. You get two or three low ratings in a year and the limitations start raining down on your account.

just the total amount of feedback and percentage

According to eBay, this is the least important thing you "own" as a seller.

Peace,

Chip