• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you accept returns for comic books you sell on eBay

32 posts in this topic

My biggest gripe in the new TRS rules is the tracking number requirement. I sell a lot of items that require just a stamp and cannot bear the added cost of tracking. I am currently a TRS but will definitely lose it on the next go-round just for this. Oh well.

We have a VERY lenient return policy on eBay.

Although it doesn't happen often we do get the occasional bidder who wants to return a book. Almost always it is for a reason we find a bit unusual such as not liking the plastic CGC case or being upset that they can see the edge of the paper CGC places inside of the book.

Ultimately, the buyer has a right to be satisfied with their purchase and returns don't happen often enough for us to reconsider our lenient policy.

While the 14-day return policy is annoying, as a practical matter as several others have pointed out, buyers have that anyway.

My biggest problem with the new requirements is the one day shipping. I sell comics on the side and not as my main business. To think that I would be able to ship within one business day at least 90% of the time AND upload the shipping information within that time period is ludicrous. And I'm not even quite sure what one business day is in some cases. If I have an auction end at 8 p.m. central on Tuesday and the buyer pays me at 10:50 p.m. central the same day, does that mean I have to notice that the buyer has paid me when I get up in the morning, package the book, print the label, drop it off at the post office and upload the shipping information (which would be automatic if I use PayPal shipping, but I don't always do that) by the end of the day on Wednesday? I don't know about you, but if the book's not ready to ship the night before, it's probably not going out the next day.

The ironic thing is, once the new rules go into effect, my shipping time might actually go up, and I may not communicate with my buyers as much. Right now, in order to get the 20% discount, I have to state that I will ship within two business days of payment, and I keep my buyers informed of when I ship and when to expect receipt so that I can keep my "communication" ratings high. If I no longer have an incentive, I might as well push back the shipping time and save myself the hassle of keeping the buyers informed. Most will give me five stars anyway, and if they don't, it really won't matter anymore.

eBay is trying to use a one size fits all approach so that from a buyer's perspective, buying something on eBay is no different than buying something online from Wal-Mart. But even retailers recognize that a uniform return policy doesn't make sense, so the return periods often vary from item to item.

Right now, in order to get the 20% discount, I have to state that I will ship within two business days of payment, and I keep my buyers informed of when I ship and when to expect receipt so that I can keep my "communication" ratings high.

You don't have to do that. I've had a 3-day handling time over my last 300+ transactions, with no communication to the sellers of when I'm shipping things out. As long as the tracking number is uploaded within the specified handling time I still get the 20% discount. The new policy that alters that doesn't come into play until June 1st.

Peace,

Chip

I've sold on eBay for more than 12 years, always liked it, it was a great hobby in addition to my FT job...I was able to help my daughter stay debt free when she was in college and grad school thanks to eBay...but it's changed.

I always allowed returns, did the 3 day (notify me ) window because it was a collectible.

I've changed to 14 days, but I sell very infrequently there now, I'd rather sell books here for less than I'd get there for most of the time...

It's obvious, that eBay no longer cares about small sellers, they are looking for sellers like MyComicshop, Macy's, etc...it's just not what it was. It's not that I get so many returns, I think maybe once every few years, but it's the pressure...I always mailed the next day, but now I feel that I HAVE to, it's just not a fun hobby kind of thing anymore...

I've sold on eBay for more than 12 years, always liked it, it was a great hobby in addition to my FT job...I was able to help my daughter stay debt free when she was in college and grad school thanks to eBay...but it's changed.

I always allowed returns, did the 3 day (notify me ) window because it was a collectible.

I've changed to 14 days, but I sell very infrequently there now, I'd rather sell books here for less than I'd get there for most of the time...

It's obvious, that eBay no longer cares about small sellers, they are looking for sellers like MyComicshop, Macy's, etc...it's just not what it was. It's not that I get so many returns, I think maybe once every few years, but it's the pressure...I always mailed the next day, but now I feel that I HAVE to, it's just not a fun hobby kind of thing anymore...

....I always liked the idea that it was my thing. Now, It's no longer MY policies, but rather eBays policies....and that's getting to be too much like a second job. I sought out eBay to use their services....not to become their employee. I'll always have a soft spot for them, however. I'm sure this tightening up is justified....I probably can't imagine the type of B.S. they have to deal with. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....I always liked the idea that it was my thing. Now, It's no longer MY policies, but rather eBays policies....and that's getting to be too much like a second job. I sought out eBay to use their services....not to become their employee. I'll always have a soft spot for them, however. I'm sure this tightening up is justified....I probably can't imagine the type of B.S. they have to deal with. GOD BLESS...

Well, said, Jimbo! Thanks for clarifying what I was TRYING to say. :foryou:

With the 24 hour shipping rule, say someone pays Sunday evening or any time on Sunday. You have until 11:59 P.M. Monday evening to get the tracking number entered into the checkout. If you use the Ebay checkout page to print shipping labels, it automatically adds the tracking number. You could technically not drop off the package until Tuesday, but the label would have to be purchased to aquire the tracking number.

With the 24 hour shipping rule, say someone pays Sunday evening or any time on Sunday. You have until 11:59 P.M. Monday evening to get the tracking number entered into the checkout. If you use the Ebay checkout page to print shipping labels, it automatically adds the tracking number. You could technically not drop off the package until Tuesday, but the label would have to be purchased to aquire the tracking number.

I doubt I ever missed a next day mailing...I might not have slept much, and I might have been dozing at my desk the next day...but I mailed right after someone paid...

It's the fact that they are pushing for it...same with returns. It's not that I've had so many returns, but they are pushing you to accept 14 days. Then again I was less happy with eBay the minute they started hiding user IDs...it because a less friendly place for me.

I doubt I ever missed a next day mailing...I might not have slept much, and I might have been dozing at my desk the next day...but I mailed right after someone paid...

It's the fact that they are pushing for it...same with returns. It's not that I've had so many returns, but they are pushing you to accept 14 days. Then again I was less happy with eBay the minute they started hiding user IDs...it because a less friendly place for me.

...as a child of the 60's, I always relished the illusion of freedom. eBay isn't really catering to that anymore :sorry: GOD BLESS...

I wasn't aware of the discount on fees ebay offered to TRS sellers, and if I made a business of selling on ebay I suppose I'd look into it, but paying for and entering tracking info, and having to do so by the end of the next day isn't worth it for the casual seller. I ship out within three days of payment, often the following day, but seeing as buyers don't always pay right away, I'll be damned if I'm going to make a trip to the post office three or four days running as payments come in following the close of a dozen or so auctions. I can see why large volume sellers demand instant payment.

I usually ship the same day payment is made. This is made much easier since I bought a small digital postal scale and print the labels through eBay/Paypal. So the one day handling requirement isn't that big of deal to me.

The thing that bugs me is the 14 day return policy. As someone else said that is way to long to allow buyer remorse to kick in.

I really miss the eBay of old when they actually seemed to respect sellers but all that went out the window a few years ago. They realize now that sellers need eBay due to their huge popularity.

FHS