• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do unattractive female comic book characters exist?

115 posts in this topic

Since comic books have been traditionally marketed towards pre-pubescent males, and therefore, extremely biased, does anyone have any examples of "unattractive" female comic book characters (other than some weird mutants that Liefeld may have drawn without feet, arms, legs, etc).

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder so this is a purely subjective topic and not meant to offend. There are plenty of "unattractive" male comic book characters..blob, toad, two-face, etc. And I'm probably a good example of a real-life unattractive male if that makes everyone feel better.

But honestly, how often do we encounter "unattractive" comic book females? Based on the comic book demographic, I would say it is a rarity? I want a villain to be ugly regardless of gender; I'm an equal-opportunity judger-ist (is that really a word?).

If you have examples to prove me wrong, please post them. (Yes, that is a double-dog dare).

Cheers,

Gotez

I was hoping someone would call me on the Morlocks. That counts in my book.

Brood Queen?
He said no aliens or monsters :makepoint:

To describe Liefelds drawings as aliens and monsters is harsh.... Yet true..

lol

I got one for you:

357194-79253-callisto_large.gif

Callisto :sick:

Pretty brutal unless you're into the whole genderless pirate thing.

+1

Brood Queen?

lol

I got one for you:

+1

lol

But,she's ugly as sin :sick:

The first that comes to mind is Amanda Waller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Waller

Two things, first I am not saying that she is ugly, just a normal looking woman.

Second I know they changed here in the reboot.

For male I would go with Harvey Bullock.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Harvey+Bullock&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=JbKcT-OQCPTH6AHehaDfDg&biw=1152&bih=688&sei=KLKcT9DNKtCp0AH8yajtDg

Not sure if he has been changed in the reboot.

Of course the question is, do you want to see either of these characters in spandex and a cape?

Brood Queen?

Pretty harsh and I have to admit that I'm a hypocrite here. I started collecting when Liefeld was "the man" so I have a love/hate thing going on. I'm one those poor fools that still have multiple copies of X-Force #1 in polybags...which I still cherish in the fact that they ground me to my comic book beginnings. But when I went back and realized that he had a hard time drawing feet, faces, etc, I don't give him the same props that I did back in the day.

Brood Queen?

lol

I got one for you:

+1

lol

Agreed.

How about the lady that used to run the suicide squad from DC in the late 80's?

Also, I think wonder woman had a female sidekick in the golden age that wouldnt be thought of as good looking

Amanda Waller :gossip:

Brood Queen?

lol

I got one for you:

+1

lol

Agreed.

Hell yeah I'm right :headbang:

(:

How about the lady that used to run the suicide squad from DC in the late 80's?

Also, I think wonder woman had a female sidekick in the golden age that wouldnt be thought of as good looking

Amanda Waller :gossip:

Etta Candy is the sidekick.

The first that comes to mind is Amanda Waller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Waller

Two things, first I am not saying that she is ugly, just a normal looking woman.

Second I know they changed here in the reboot.

For male I would go with Harvey Bullock.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Harvey+Bullock&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=JbKcT-OQCPTH6AHehaDfDg&biw=1152&bih=688&sei=KLKcT9DNKtCp0AH8yajtDg

Not sure if he has been changed in the reboot.

Of course the question is, do you want to see either of these characters in spandex and a cape?

And that's the thing about comic books. It is a very stereotyped image of females that is portrayed. And that is nothing new; sex sells, right? But I also collect Zenescope titles like they're going out of style. Horrible addiction to those books.