• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'American Pickers' in my home town!

72 posts in this topic

I'm a fan of the show, and also Pawn Stars. These shows broke ground and changed people's awareness and perceptions towards pawn shops and pickers. All in all, these are really fascinating people who are a different breed from your average 9-5 office worker or tradesmen. I'm not sure we're all cut out to earn our pay this way, but you have to give mad props to guys that sharpen their wisdom and knowledge on deals the average person wouldn't touch. I personally have a newfound respect for the depth of knowledge guys like Mike, Frank and Rick and the Old Man from Pawn Stars have on so many different categories of collectibles, antiques, ephemera and pretty much anything people collect or use for displaying.

Agreed they made pawn shops and picking cool, while these guys of Comicbook men did the opposite about comics.

cbm1-ep6-bryan-ming-michael-1.jpg

I'm a fan of the show, and also Pawn Stars. These shows broke ground and changed people's awareness and perceptions towards pawn shops and pickers. All in all, these are really fascinating people who are a different breed from your average 9-5 office worker or tradesmen. I'm not sure we're all cut out to earn our pay this way, but you have to give mad props to guys that sharpen their wisdom and knowledge on deals the average person wouldn't touch. I personally have a newfound respect for the depth of knowledge guys like Mike, Frank and Rick and the Old Man from Pawn Stars have on so many different categories of collectibles, antiques, ephemera and pretty much anything people collect or use for displaying.

Agreed they made pawn shops and picking cool, while these guys of Comicbook men did the opposite about comics.

Actually I would argue that the collecting television shows have hurt the perception of the collecting fields to everyone outside of the business. It started with Antiques Roadshow to be exact. While people like myself who make money within the antiques and collectibles business praise these shows for raising awareness of antiques and collectibles; it is a 'double edged sword'.

Now everyone thinks that their Barbies from 1983 are a collector's items. Not only that, but people refuse to believe that the antique business is down 30% since its high of 2005-2006. Is has become all about the 'look' now. Soon no one is going to care about pieces of furniture made by hand from the 1800's. And why should they? We now have found a way to mass produce 'smart' cheaply made items for your home that LOOK just like antiques. Reproductions fool even the pros (even I get fooled at times).

I love seeing all the 'new pickers' out every weekend fighting over items that aren't even real. I have to sometimes sit back and think is it really this bad? Is this what television has done to this business? Nobody loves this stuff any more it is all about the money. I am no different. Want proof? How many darn 'investment' threads do you now see? Fifty years ago very few if anybody 'invested' in antiques and collectibles. Now there are whole sites devoted to investing in Lego sets, comic books, video games, toys, art, vintage marbles, and I could go on and on...

See what I mean? Thanks to these shows everyone thinks the 'party' will last forever. Then when a downturn in the market occurs these people are calling someone like me to buy their items. These people call themselves 'investors?' What kind of investor buys at high prices and sells at low prices?

This is a speculator market at best for some of these items and a wake up call for most others. Even I know that this cannot continue forever. Still, some collecting fileds are better bets than others. You have to wonder what people are thinking when they value a 'Beanie Babie' for more than a rare piece of antique glass or a rare piece of weaponry from the Civil War. I fear to see what next mass-produced item becomes the latest fad to fall out of flavor.

Still, I have hope and that is why I love this stuff.

Edited to include: And I also do INVEST in this stuff for the long term!

Respectfully,

'mint'

Actually I would argue that the collecting television shows have hurt the perception of the collecting fields to everyone outside of the business. It started with Antiques Roadshow to be exact. While people like myself who make money within the antiques and collectibles business praise these shows for raising awareness of antiques and collectibles; it is a 'double edged sword'.

Now everyone thinks that their Barbies from 1983 are a collector's items. Not only that, but people refuse to believe that the antique business is down 30% since its high of 2005-2006. Is has become all about the 'look' now. Soon no one is going to care about pieces of furniture made by hand from the 1800's. And why should they? We now have found a way to mass produce 'smart' cheaply made items for your home that LOOK just like antiques. Reproductions fool even the pros (even I get fooled at times).

I love seeing all the 'new pickers' out every weekend fighting over items that aren't even real. I have to sometimes sit back and think is it really this bad? Is this what television has done to this business? Nobody loves this stuff any more it is all about the money. I am no different. Want proof? How many darn 'investment' threads do you now see? Fifty years ago very few if anybody 'invested' in antiques and collectibles. Now there are whole sites devoted to investing in Lego sets, comic books, video games, toys, art, vintage marbles, and I could go on and on...

See what I mean? Thanks to these shows everyone thinks the 'party' will last forever. Then when a downturn in the market occurs these people are calling someone like me to buy their items. These people call themselves 'investors?' What kind of investor buys at high prices and sells at low prices?

This is a speculator market at best for some of these items and a wake up call for most others. Even I know that this cannot continue forever. Still, some collecting fileds are better bets than others. You have to wonder what people are thinking when they value a 'Beanie Babie' for more than a rare piece of antique glass or a rare piece of weaponry from the Civil War. I fear to see what next mass-produced item becomes the latest fad to fall out of flavor.

Respectfully,

'mint'

The "gold syndrome" existed well before any of these shows, and before the people in them were even born. Delusional people didn't need the assistance of TV programming to make them think they struck it rich when they find an antique or relic.

And they would have gotten away with thinking that much if it weren't for shows like this putting them straight on what they really have. I know how frustrating it is to see more people attending storage auctions, and guys pricing their stuff out of whack, but to pin it on the excitement and interest these shows have generated isn't entirely fair.

Most of these shows make it perfectly clear that there are no guarantees - and many risks - associated to the way they make a living. I can think of plenty of examples for each of the shows (Antiques Roadshow alone has showcased many examples and situations over the years where people are informed for the first time their items are fakes/reproductions).

I would go one further, and suggest that the main people in each of these programs constantly promote the idea of researching markets on items properly and accurately, especially with items people may be unfamiliar with (i.e. Pawn Stars constantly get experts to come in and appraise; Mike and Frank call people they know before they buy, and/or bring their stuff to get appraised, etc).

It's pretty clear to me that people who suffer from "gold syndrome" do none of these things and are likely using a dartboard method or have seen one too many documentaries on the Klondike gold rush.

Agreed. Doltish and uninformed speculators/collectors who have more money than sense have been in the game for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, I recall adults buying Upper Deck by the case, rookie cards in 100 count lots, and variant covers by the pile. No love for the underlying hobby, just riding the next craze until the inevitable crash.

If anything, I think it was MUCH worse 15-20 years ago. I believe these shows have done a decent job promoting the truly rare, significant or unique items that will stand the test of time....while either ignoring the actual junk or showcasing fakes/repros.

Respectfully,

'mint'

The "gold syndrome" existed well before any of these shows, and before the people in them were even born. Delusional people didn't need the assistance of TV programming to make them think they struck it rich when they find an antique or relic.

And they would have gotten away with thinking that much if it weren't for shows like this putting them straight on what they really have. I know how frustrating it is to see more people attending storage auctions, and guys pricing their stuff out of whack, but to pin it on the excitement and interest these shows have generated isn't entirely fair.

Most of these shows make it perfectly clear that there are no guarantees - and many risks - associated to the way they make a living. I can think of plenty of examples for each of the shows (Antiques Roadshow alone has showcased many examples and situations over the years where people are informed for the first time their items are fakes/reproductions).

I would go one further, and suggest that the main people in each of these programs constantly promote the idea of researching markets on items properly and accurately, especially with items people may be unfamiliar with (i.e. Pawn Stars constantly get experts to come in and appraise; Mike and Frank call people they know before they buy, and/or bring their stuff to get appraised, etc).

It's pretty clear to me that people who suffer from "gold syndrome" do none of these things and are likely using a dartboard method or have seen one too many documentaries on the Klondike gold rush.

I wanted to take the time to respond; as I believe that the quotes I am about to give sums up how most of us in the business feel about this issue. If you remember, I PM'd you about the following book (ComicWiz):

From the book 'Killer Stuff and Tons of Money' by Maureen Stanton (a book EVERYONE should read):

"People are buying with their wallets now, not with their hearts. They used to collect for the love of it. Now they are doing it for an investment. It has all changed."

'Antiques have become popular, but NOT in a way that people will go out and buy them. They are popular in that everybody thinks that everything they have is worth a lot of money."

"They (meaning these shows) have unrealistically raised expectations."

(note this reference is NOT in APA format (lol); but it is on page 180 of the book in the chapter called 'Roadshow Rage.' (referring to Antiques Roadshow).

Many in the business agree. Very few ever bother to understand that Auction Hunters starts each show with this statement..."these are some of their most rare and valuable finds..." (summarized and paraphrased).

Again, people expect all dealers to phone a friend and tell them the history of their object, what is it truly worth, and why I am offering what I am. These shows have done very little to get people to do their own darn research. Worse yet, every appraisal on most of these shows is insurance replacement value. Try explaining to an seventy year old widow the difference between actual value and insurance replacement value. They look at you and state, but I saw it on Pawn Stars...or it's like the one on...

When I speak to groups of people about the industry I am always amazed about what questions I get. People actually do believe that they can go buy a storage unit and gold coins SHOULD be in there. I always answer by asking, and how many people here store gold coins in storage units?

Ironically, as always NO hands go up...

Now I often do NOT get the chance to speak to large groups of people (that one instance was done for a friend awhile ago). That being said, I do write articles and my now infamous eBay guides and get a TON of emails from individuals who all think the business is so easy. Yet, every weekend I am one of the few dealers who tries to help educate a 'newbie.' I wish more could be done, but they really don't want to be helped.

I get what you are saying, ComicWiz, I really do. However, do me a favor. Look at the sales of books entitled 'Making money in (storage units, eBay, flea markets, etc.) then look at sales of books on how to identify American Glass, or how to identify true works of art. Tell me what is selling better? I know of NO ONE who ever got into this business by buying and reading a 'making money in...' book.

I do know people who studied art history or learned how to research valuable art and are high up in the antiques business though...

Do you see my point?

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

Respectfully,

'mint'

I wanted to take the time to respond; as I believe that the quotes I am about to give sums up how most of us in the business feel about this issue. If you remember, I PM'd you about the following book (ComicWiz):

From the book 'Killer Stuff and Tons of Money' by Maureen Stanton (a book EVERYONE should read):

"People are buying with their wallets now, not with their hearts. They used to collect for the love of it. Now they are doing it for an investment. It has all changed."

'Antiques have become popular, but NOT in a way that people will go out and buy them. They are popular in that everybody thinks that everything they have is worth a lot of money."

"They (meaning these shows) have unrealistically raised expectations."

(note this reference is NOT in APA format (lol); but it is on page 180 of the book in the chapter called 'Roadshow Rage.' (referring to Antiques Roadshow).

Many in the business agree. Very few ever bother to understand that Auction Hunters starts each show with this statement..."these are some of their most rare and valuable finds..." (summarized and paraphrased).

Again, people expect all dealers to phone a friend and tell them the history of their object, what is it truly worth, and why I am offering what I am. These shows have done very little to get people to do their own darn research. Worse yet, every appraisal on most of these shows is insurance replacement value. Try explaining to an seventy year old widow the difference between actual value and insurance replacement value. They look at you and state, but I saw it on Pawn Stars...or it's like the one on...

When I speak to groups of people about the industry I am always amazed about what questions I get. People actually do believe that they can go buy a storage unit and gold coins SHOULD be in there. I always answer by asking, and how many people here store gold coins in storage units?

Ironically, as always NO hands go up...

Now I often do NOT get the chance to speak to large groups of people (that one instance was done for a friend awhile ago). That being said, I do write articles and my now infamous eBay guides and get a TON of emails from individuals who all think the business is so easy. Yet, every weekend I am one of the few dealers who tries to help educate a 'newbie.' I wish more could be done, but they really don't want to be helped.

I get what you are saying, ComicWiz, I really do. However, do me a favor. Look at the sales of books entitled 'Making money in (storage units, eBay, flea markets, etc.) then look at sales of books on how to identify American Glass, or how to identify true works of art. Tell me what is selling better? I know of NO ONE who ever got into this business by buying and reading a 'making money in...' book.

I do know people who studied art history or learned how to research valuable art and are high up in the antiques business though...

Do you see my point?

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I get it mint. You also have to understand that when these guys pitched the show to History, they needed to work the entertainment factor full hilt to keep the show running.

That means there will always be segments and situations that unfairly generalize and commodify items, which are sure to rub purists and people in the know the wrong way.

These shows to some degree are meant to show a glimpse or snapshot of that market or hobby whenever an example is featured, walks in their store, gets appraised, is left behind in a storage locker, and/or is picked.

Ask yourself how many people would duck at the chance of bragging or describe their item as being worthless if asked? One of the first things people ask when they are introduced to something new is "how much is it worth." I have yet to meet anyone who isn't so caught up in something they collect that they'll refrain from throwing out a number when asked.

It should also be noted that the UK Antiques Roadshows was very much in line with the sentiment of "collecting what you love" and only when the U.S. version began to air in North America did they start promoting values, and breaking down the insurance/auction/retail estimates.

"It should also be noted that the UK Antiques Roadshows was very much in line with the sentiment of "collecting what you love" and only when the U.S. version began to air in North America did they start promoting values, and breaking down the insurance/auction/retail estimates."

(ComicWiz)

Sorry, but I wanted to cut down on the quoting due to how much space it is taking. Yes, I fully agree with this. Especially about the UK antique scene (it is MUCH different than the US; but similar-if that makes any sense).

That being said, you also have the so called 'armchair experts' to contend with who now think they know it all. This is secondary factor that this 'frenzy' has created. This is NOT fun. I would venture to say the average person retains less than 10% of the knowledge portrayed on these shows and that does not even matter as the market is constantly changing!

There are some items that were featured on the first season of Pawn Stars that I would gladly pay what was offered and more. There are others that are worth very little their appraised value now.

Storage Wars and Auction Hunters are TOTALLY wrong when it comes to appraising in a lot of cases.

They set unreralistic standards. This is why I tried to always post about my experiences in the business because it is REAL. Now some people have told me that they like my posts and others have told me they could do without my 'ramblings' of what goes on in related and unrelated collecting fields. I respect both opinions and try to be fair and not monopolize 'Comics General' with boring posts about the collectibles indutry in general. That being said, I do not think a person armed with only the knowlege of these shows is anywhere near ready to enter the business and a lot are trying and failing.

When I get time I will attempt to see if I can post some excellent articles written by Harry Rinker on the subject (among others). Most people can appreciate his views as he is considered an expert in the field.

In conclusion, I do see what you are saying; and I do not want you to think I fully disagree with you. I also want to show the other side of things; as I truly wish some of these people would stay in bed on Sunday mornings (so do their wallets). For more information on that see my latest post in the 'flea market finds thread.'

Respectfully,

'mint'

From a vintage pinball machine owner I can tell you that they overpay and over value very pinball machine they encounter.

WAY overpay. They should take lessons from Pawn Stars and the mint condition KISS pinball they stole from that guy. :cry:

From a vintage pinball machine owner I can tell you that they overpay and over value very pinball machine they encounter.

WAY overpay. They should take lessons from Pawn Stars and the mint condition KISS pinball they stole from that guy. :cry:

These are actually somewhat hard to price. I have sold some of these for a lot less than I should have and others have went for a ton of money. Normally, both full stand up arcade games and pinball machines can be hard to price. The classics are easier to price than the 'oddities.' For instance I'll take a good Pinbot machine any day of the week!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Respectfully,

'mint'

Good post Mint

^^

The thing I have liked about "American Pickers" is that I so often hear "we know a guy who would love to have one of these." So they're in touch with collectors, but they get the finders' fees, so to speak. They love what they find, and they don't mess with "perishables" such as comics, magazines, etc. which would be dust in most of the places they do their picking. :)

i enjoy american pickers and auction hunters above all the others. the camaraderie between mike and frank and ton and allen is what makes those shows great. pawn stars is also good too.

and for the record, i'd say that danielle is wayyy hotter than brandi, though both are great to look at.

Auction Hunters is way too scripted. They don't capture the free-wheeling spirit that Mike and Frank embody during their conversations in the van.

yeah, but pickers have an hour show. their van talk is great though

I assumed that Danielle was just cast for the part and that you wouldn't actually find her at the shop? She's just a little eye-candy.

The Von Dutch motorcycle on last week's episode was my favorite pick yet. I think they got a heck of a steal on it too.

I assumed that Danielle was just cast for the part and that you wouldn't actually find her at the shop? She's just a little eye-candy.

The Von Dutch motorcycle on last week's episode was my favorite pick yet. I think they got a heck of a steal on it too.

no, i believe she's at the iowa/idaho (?) store, and someone else runs the other store they have.

no, i believe she's at the iowa/idaho (?) store, and someone else runs the other store they have.

I read an article online that said she does actually work for them but they had only hired her on for the purpose of rounding out the show.