• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT (sort of) Self Publishing Advice Sought...

6 posts in this topic

I have been 'toying' with the idea of writing a generalized 'guide' or 'book' on antiques and collectibles; to help 'newbies.' Believe it or not, I was even asked once before if I would consider doing this and always 'scoffed' at the idea. I was always willing to provide 'free' advice to those who showed a general interest and asked. That being said, this weekend another dealer who I look up to asked me again if I have given any thought to it. Truth be told, I do write a lot about the business and offer advice when I can. I have a TON of notes, articles, and guides I have written on the subject as well. This being the case; does anyone know anything about 'self-publishing' and how a not so super computer literate person can go about doing it? I am a mac-user and I can't even upload pictures to the forum (lol!). I can sell on eBay though!

If anyone could offer any advice or help, let me know. While I know a book like this would NOT be a bestseller; I would be willing to work out a deal with anyone who wanted to work on a project like this with me.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Just write your book. When you're ready to Self-Publish, look at Amazon. Easy as pie. (thumbs u

This requires it to be formatted a certain way; am I correct? You also have to have cover art and illustration ready to go, if I remember correctly? Again, I am NOT computer 'savvy.' This is why I asked about this.

I do know that a lot of books are being self-published by Amazon (you can tell from the quality; as most of these authors do not write very well).

Has anyone used this service or have experience with it?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Look here.

Kindle Self Publishing Formats

I met Phil Regli, author of "The Collector's Guide to Sports Publications & Sports Illustrated". He is self publishing a new price guide. He used Word, but Amazon wanted Adobe pdf format. So check carefully, so that your time is used efficiently and your effort is not wasted.

Word can save in PDF format. :gossip:

Look. The hard part is actually writing and FINISHING your book/work. Once that's done, everything else is easy... (Including the cover or any other formatting needed.)

There are any number of people on this board or available on the net on a project by project basis who can help you with that...

Word can save in PDF format. :gossip:

Young whipper snapper :preach:, unfortunately, I have Word 2002, which will not allow exporting in pdf format. I retired two years ago and no longer have to update my software. You are correct; newer versions of Word allow you to save in multiple formats, or you can use a third party converter.