• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.9 Signature Series Cerebus #4

14 posts in this topic

I don't know about anybody else, but why in the world did Sim scrawl over the Cerebus character (thus totally ruining the aesthetics), rather than doing a white/silver ink sig on the black part? foreheadslap.gif

This isn't th efirst 9.9 SS done but they are very rare.

I have done probably over 2000 SS books and have only received about 8 9.9's. I am willing to bet however there will be more with Dave Sim's copies. They are truly the nicest books I have ever had the privilege of going through.

If anyone wants to see the #4, the 10.0 #7 and the rest of the books come on by the Toronto Comicon and have a look. They will all be on display.

Thanks

Peter Dixon

the silver ink doesn't really seem to be stable over time. I'm sure you've seen books signed in the 80s/early 90s? A lot of signed spidey 300s look like absolute [!@#%^&^] now with gold or silver ink that has turned or become runny or stained flamed.gif

I suppose if he really took the time he could have found a stable white ink.. but.. I'm guessing he wasn't going to spend that kind of time. He had a whole lot of comics to sign.

I do agree it hurts the aesthetics a little bit, but a 9.9 black cover 70s book is still pretty damn crazy 893whatthe.gif

I wouldn't necessarily fault Sim... was it even his idea? Does he even collect slabs books or have a knowledgeable of the marketplace?

I agree with you, but think that it's possible he just got bad advice.

I wouldn't necessarily fault Sim... was it even his idea? Does he even collect slabs books or have a knowledgeable of the marketplace?

I agree with you, but think that it's possible he just got bad advice.

It was Dave's idea to sell the file copies, yes. He was referred to Peter at Paradise, who discussed CGC'ing the issues.

Dave did his own research on CGC - and he is quoted in the press release about his feeling about "slabbing" comics. He doesn't really collect much of anything these days, although he does have a few golden age comics. The two previous models that Dave and Peter looked at were the Gaines File Copies (unsigned) and the Stan Lee File Copies (signed and verified).

Dave has always preferred to legitimize the #1's, by signing them, as he feels without his verification there will always be doubt as to whether or not the comic is an authentic #1. Since the book would be in a slab he preferred to follow the model of the Stan Lee File Copies and sign on the cover (so the fans can actually see his signature). He wasn't about to sell them unsigned, so Signature Series was always the way they were going to end up if they were sent to CGC as everyone involved would rather they were witnessed by a CGC rep before encapsulation.

As for the other issues:

The hope is that the later issues in the batch that were sent for certification will benefit from the signature authentication. A Cerebus 115, for example, even if slabbed at say 9.8 and part of the file copy pedigree collection may not mean that much, but with Dave's and Gerhard's verified signatures on them there is an added personal touch.

The other issue, of course, is that with other collections, let's say Nic Cage's (even though it isn't a pedigree collection)... people have cracked the slabs and resubmitted the books for higher grades, and the books have lost their previous distinctions. How would a high grade Cerebus 79 bought off the rack differ from a high grade Cerebus 79 file copy? Without the signatures there is no way to tell them apart. By signing them Dave and Gerhard are adding a permanent and personal stamp on each book to say that this is from our company files.

----

Please note that years of discussions did go into this. This has been in the works for almost two years. The goal was to present these books in the most interesting and collectible way possible, to sell them in a condition that would be interesting not to just high grade CGC collectors but to Cerebus fans and other interested parties.

Kev

I don't know if he has never signed a cover before.

However, all of my acquired signed Cerebus comics have his signature on one of the interior pages.

Another note: Dave spent some time researching inks as he was very concerned about the signature fading or being smudged, or causing any long term damage to the book itself. He ended up selecting a more traditional black ink pen over a sharpie or any other kind of black marker.

Kev