• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why can't Warner Bros make a good superhero movie.....

79 posts in this topic

why Warner brothers can't make a decent comic movie

remember this line:

Jon Peters also wanted Superman to fight a giant spider for the climactic showdown. Peters later produced the 1999 steampunk western Wild Wild West, the finale of which features a giant mechanical spider.

This is from Kevin Smith, who was asked to do a rewrite of the superman reborn screenplay.

and Jon peters was the executive producer of superman returns..... Jon Peters is kryptonite.

GL was considered to be a stepping stone to a sequel, much like dark knight was. we can only see how that turns out.

Dc needs to take a page out of the mid nighties marvel team, and let someone else make a movie with a lesser character a la blade.

Also before anyone thinks that what ever marvel touches "turns to gold" let us all remember a 200 million dollar sink hole called John Carter. In a way, the opening weekend of The Avengers paid for the debt created by that fiasco.

why Warner brothers can't make a decent comic movie

remember this line:

Jon Peters also wanted Superman to fight a giant spider for the climactic showdown. Peters later produced the 1999 steampunk western Wild Wild West, the finale of which features a giant mechanical spider.

This is from Kevin Smith, who was asked to do a rewrite of the superman reborn screenplay.

and Jon peters was the executive producer of superman returns..... Jon Peters is kryptonite.

GL was considered to be a stepping stone to a sequel, much like dark knight was. we can only see how that turns out.

Dc needs to take a page out of the mid nighties marvel team, and let someone else make a movie with a lesser character a la blade.

Also before anyone thinks that what ever marvel touches "turns to gold" let us all remember a 200 million dollar sink hole called John Carter. In a way, the opening weekend of The Avengers paid for the debt created by that fiasco.

Well,with the $$$ The Avengers is making,they can greenlight a John Carter sequel :insane:

lol

John Carter got the green light to be a movie before Disney even bought Marvel.

Marvel doesn't own the rights to John Carter.

Thus, Disney gets the blame, not Marvel or Marvel Studios.

Good points

Marvel is like Pixar to Disney. Both companies are cutting edge and profitable.

:cloud9:

Good points

:headbang:

I'm still waiting for a Marvel/Pixar movie :wishluck:

Good points

Agreed! :wishluck:

I liked V, Watchmen, both of the new Batman movies, and Constantine.

I haven't really cared for a Superman movie at all, not even the first one. I always hated the goofy crystals in the fortress, etc, the way Krypton looked, and the way they handled Lex Luthor, and even Clark and Lois. Green Lantern was okay, but more along the lines of the first Spider-man movie, or the first X-Men movie. Okay, nice visually, but not a very good movie.

If they would make a Superman movie just like the animated series, but in live action, it could be really good.

Good points

The Fantastic Four would be perfect for it.

Good points

That's what I've always said. FF would be much better as an animated movie.

I haven't really cared for a Superman movie at all, not even the first one. I always hated the goofy crystals in the fortress, etc, the way Krypton looked, and the way they handled Lex Luthor, and even Clark and Lois. Green Lantern was okay, but more along the lines of the first Spider-man movie, or the first X-Men movie. Okay, nice visually, but not a very good movie.

If they would make a Superman movie just like the animated series, but in live action, it could be really good.

+1, all of the above.

Sometimes I think the film industry really dislikes Superman, including his owners. I also suspect Superman Animated was pigeonholed as "only a cartoon" , luckily avoiding all the sociopolitical tweaking "to make the character relevant". :eyeroll:

Here's hoping Avengers raises the bar so high Superman finally gets a chance. :wishluck:

Good points

That's what I've always said. FF would be much better as an animated movie.

That's a good idea, and a fair comparison, albeit satirical, would be "The Incredibles" :golfclap:

There are some great potential for some great comic movies if Warner Bros would open their eyes.

You got Adam Strange, Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown, Cave Carson, Rip Hunter Time Master, Atomic Knights, and Sea Devils. All would make great movies. More interesting characters then a lot of the regular DC superheroes. The problem I see with a lot of the DC superheroes are they are too cartoony and don't translate to movie well. Batman is the exception. Great character if done well on screen. All those I mentioned above could be great films too if the powers that be would just wake up and smell the coffee. I don't see Flash or Aquaman or Womder Woman being any great kind of movie. Give me one I mentioned above, done well, and you have a great film.

There are some great potential for some great comic movies if Warner Bros would open their eyes.

You got Adam Strange, Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown, Cave Carson, Rip Hunter Time Master, Atomic Knights, and Sea Devils. All would make great movies. More interesting characters then a lot of the regular DC superheroes. The problem I see with a lot of the DC superheroes are they are too cartoony and don't translate to movie well. Batman is the exception. Great character if done well on screen. All those I mentioned above could be great films too if the powers that be would just wake up and smell the coffee. I don't see Flash or Aquaman or Womder Woman being any great kind of movie. Give me one I mentioned above, done well, and you have a great film.

I really agree Challengers of the Unknown would make a great movie,as I read and was pleased with the Challengers of the Unknown showcase last year, and could tell how Jack Kirby used Challengers as his springboard for Fantastic Four.

btw just thinking about that Showcase Challengers reminds me just how awesome Jack Kirby was as a comic book creator. (thumbs u

Ohh, come on. DC can make good movies. They just aren't making many and they seem to have trouble making good movies about characters other than Batman and Superman. Let us not forget that the last Batman movie was incredibly successfull and the studios were for a time wondering if it had a shot at breaking Titanic's box office numbers.

Constantine was a very enjoyable too even if it didn't break any records.

You would have easily thought that with the Time Warner ownership DC would have had the edge in the movie making business though. Just goes to show what a smaller, nimbler competitor can do.

+1, all of the above.

Sometimes I think the film industry really dislikes Superman, including his owners. I also suspect Superman Animated was pigeonholed as "only a cartoon" , luckily avoiding all the sociopolitical tweaking "to make the character relevant". :eyeroll:

Here's hoping Avengers raises the bar so high Superman finally gets a chance. :wishluck:

Every time I see the Matrix 3 (whatever the name was) and it gets to the part of Neo and Smith fighting in the air, I always think.... Now thats what a Superman movie should look like!

Still would love to see a Superman movie in which Lex Luthor or Brainiac tries to create a Superman clone, which is flawed, and ends up an evil, unliving zombie like Bizarro, which wants to kill his perfect counterpart. Doesn't have to be quite the dopy, goofy Bizarro from the comics.