• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why can't Warner Bros make a good superhero movie.....

79 posts in this topic

Marvel is the House of Ideas.

DC is home to Streaky the Supercat, Comet the Superhorse, and Beppo the Supermonkey.

Case closed.

I wonder what they were smoking in those days.

Mort Weisinger was as old-fashioned as his era, and thought that that was what the kidz wanted to read.

I agree. I was sooo disappointed in The Green Lantern. It was awful. Same with Hex, etc. At least they've given Chris Nolan leeway to make his films, with minimal interference. Let the filmmakers film, and the business people worry about the $$ aspect.

Having worked in film 10 yrs, I'm surprised any good films get made tho.

Marvel is the House of Ideas.

DC is home to Streaky the Supercat, Comet the Superhorse, and Beppo the Supermonkey.

Case closed.

Marvel was also the home of Paste Pot Pete, The Dazzler, Herbie The Robot, and Gwen Stacy clones. :sumo:

To be fair, Marvel has had it's share of turds. I think they look better only because they've made more of them over the last few years than DC..

Some really bad ones right off the bat:

Hulk

Daredevil

Electra

Both FF movies

Spidey 3 [killed the Tobey franchise]

Wolverine

Ummmm... The Flash was great Warner Bros produced TV show.

... and A History of Violence (New Line Cinema-Warner Bros. branch) was great! I was on the fence with V for Vendatta myself. Thought the Watchmen and Constantine was OK. My 2

Agreed on all. And WB still holds the title for greatest comic book movie of all time. The original Superman. I believe WB also put out 300 with Legendary. Having the Dark Knight franchise doesn't hurt. I can name a longer list of Marvel stinkers.

Here's the list of Marvel "stinkers":

Daredevil

Fantastic Four

Elektra

Man-Thing

Fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer

Blade:Trinity

Ghost Rider

Punisher;War Zone

Howard the Duck

The Punisher (1989)

X-Men Origins:Wolverine

X-Men:The Last Stand

Hulk (2003)

Captain America (1990)

Ghost Rider:Spirit of Vengeance

Spider-Man 3

Now here's a list of either good or awesome Marvel movies:

Blade

X-Men

X2

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

Blade 2

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

Thor

Iron Man 2

Captain America:The First Avenger

The Punisher (2004)

X-Men:First Class

Kick-Azz (yes this does count)

There you have it :acclaim:

Remember New Line Cinema (a Warner Bros. brand) produced Blade in '98, which kicked off the Marvel of Marvel movies to come. Show some respect Marvelfangirl. (tsk)
:whatev:

Actually New Line Cinema merged with WB in 2008,so that doesn't count

:foryou:

Keep reading. doh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Line_Cinema

It was with it's parent company (Time Warner) before the Warner merger.

It merged with Warner Bros. in 2008.

:foryou:

I stand corrected :)

... and A History of Violence (New Line Cinema-Warner Bros. branch) was great! I was on the fence with V for Vendatta myself. Thought the Watchmen and Constantine was OK. My 2

Agreed on all. And WB still holds the title for greatest comic book movie of all time. The original Superman. I believe WB also put out 300 with Legendary. Having the Dark Knight franchise doesn't hurt. I can name a longer list of Marvel stinkers.

Daredevil

Fantastic Four

Elektra

Man-Thing

Ghost Rider

Punisher;War Zone

Howard the Duck

The Punisher (1989)

Hulk (2003)

Captain America (1990)

Spider-Man 3

Blade

X-Men

X2

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

Blade 2

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

Thor

Iron Man 2

The Punisher (2004)

IMO, I'd move a couple of the "good" ones to the suck list.

Personally, I feel that Marvel has done an equally good job of turning out awful super hero movies. And none of their movies on your good list are nearly as good as The Dark Knight. So I think it's a wash and on the whole, I'd say Marvel is doing a worse job b/c they've put out more garbage than the other guy.

Daredevil

Fantastic Four

Elektra

Man-Thing

Ghost Rider

Punisher;War Zone

Howard the Duck

The Punisher (1989)

Hulk (2003)

Captain America (1990)

Spider-Man 3

Blade

X-Men

X2

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

Blade 2

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

Thor

Iron Man 2

The Punisher (2004)

IMO, I'd move a couple of the "good" ones to the suck list.

Personally, I feel that Marvel has done an equally good job of turning out awful super hero movies. And none of their movies on your good list are nearly as good as The Dark Knight. So I think it's a wash and on the whole, I'd say Marvel is doing a worse job b/c they've put out more garbage than the other guy.

:o

How dare you :slapfight:

I think X-2 is just as good as The Dark Knight 2c

And yes,they do put out more krap than WB :(

Hasn't Marvel only made

IronMan 1/2

Thor

Avengers

Hulk the reboot

Captain America

in house?

Where as almost all the WB movies were made in house.

The rest of them were all made with the Marvel Studios Banner but the rights were sold to other companies. Sony for Spider-Man, Fox for the X-Men and so on. Its one of the reasons we saw a X-Men Last Stand last year and a Spider-Man reboot this year. If they dont use the characters every so often, Marvel gets the rights back and can make movies in house for those titles.

Hasn't Marvel only made

IronMan 1/2

Thor

Avengers

Hulk the reboot

Captain America

in house?

Where as almost all the WB movies were made in house.

The rest of them were all made with the Marvel Studios Banner but the rights were sold to other companies. Sony for Spider-Man, Fox for the X-Men and so on. Its one of the reasons we saw a X-Men Last Stand last year and a Spider-Man reboot this year. If they dont use the characters every so often, Marvel gets the rights back and can make movies in house for those titles.

Yeah.

I really wish Marvel would get the rights back to them :wishluck:

I think its as simple as the people running the studio understanding super heros in their minds ?

How the person running things thinks of spiderman relates who they hire to make it edit it and distribute it resulting in a good movie or a bad movie ?

From Marvel I really liked Iron Man and X-Men First Class. I thought X2 and Thor were good but not great. I didn't think Captain America was very good tbh, just o-k. (shrug)

If I could only watch one super hero movie ever again, it'd probably be TDK. After that a toss up between Batman Begins and Iron Man. Everything else is way, way behind in the race. At least for me.

From Marvel I really liked Iron Man and X-Men First Class. I thought X2 and Thor were good but not great. I didn't think Captain America was very good tbh, just o-k. (shrug)

If I could only watch one super hero movie ever again, it'd probably be TDK. After that a toss up between Batman Begins and Iron Man. Everything else is way, way behind in the race. At least for me.

Good point.