• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Move Over Dark Knight #3, Page 10

62 posts in this topic

that's not THE scream though is it. there were several versions IIRC and this is not the most prized one IIRC?

Are you sure you remember correctly, if you remember correctly?

that's not THE scream though is it. there were several versions IIRC and this is not the most prized one IIRC?

Here's the more famous version:

homer_the_scream.jpg

Are you sure you remember correctly, if you remember correctly? [/quote

There were several versions done and this wasn't the first or the last. But the others are all in museums and therefore not available. Still, it would be fair to compare it to a classic comic art piece that's either a vintage prelim or recreation.

There were several versions done and this wasn't the first or the last. But the others are all in museums and therefore not available. Still, it would be fair to compare it to a classic comic art piece that's either a vintage prelim or recreation.

well excuse me for the redundant redundancy :P

Your last sentence is exactly my point. This is very cool but it aint quite the real deal and the real deal would, I must assume, fetch a price that would dwarf this one.

Yeah, I remember there was a "Scream" painting that was stolen in Sweden I believe....There are like 5 copies of this thing...Not even "one of a kind ! ".... zzz

:jokealert:

Your last sentence is exactly my point. This is very cool but it aint quite the real deal and the real deal would, I must assume, fetch a price that would dwarf this one.

I don't think that having the first version is quite as big of a deal in the fine art world. In comic art, it's more cut and dry, since the collecting public would only really want the published piece.

I'm sure the first Scream would carry a premium, but so would whatever version is considered the best image or the one in the best condition if some of them have issues.

Regardless, they're all F'ing expensive. lol

I don't agree with the comparison - there really isn't a good comic OA parallel. Artists sometimes do several versions of a particular theme, like Van Gogh's Sunflowers or Monet's Houses of Parliament. There are 4 versions of The Scream, at least two of which have been extensively reproduced. The one that just sold at auction isn't as ubiquitous simply because it's been held in private hands, and to call it the equivalent of a prelim or recreation would be doing it a great injustice.

I think $120 million is a great price for that piece, for the right buyer. For example, an upstart museum in the Middle East could really bolster its cachet and get more bodies in the door having an iconic painting like that as part of its permanent collection.

Yes, there are 4, and this is not the best one IMHO, but is the only available copy (unless you can steal and hold onto one of the museum copies).

Museum heist! The CGC Boards/CAF/ComicArt-L version of Ocean's Eleven.

Yeah, I remember there was a "Scream" painting that was stolen in Sweden I believe....

The most recent theft was from the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway. I was there in 1999 (see photo below) - as you can see, The Scream was not enclosed/protected and the small museum was barely guarded. It's no wonder the thieves so easily stole it and another famous Munch painting, Madonna, in 2004.

125531.jpg.8962cd6d4baa632700fb702c8e768062.jpg

Are you sure you remember correctly, if you remember correctly?

I don't agree with the comparison - there really isn't a good comic OA parallel. Artists sometimes do several versions of a particular theme, like Van Gogh's Sunflowers or Monet's Houses of Parliament. There are 4 versions of The Scream, at least two of which have been extensively reproduced. The one that just sold at auction isn't as ubiquitous simply because it's been held in private hands, and to call it the equivalent of a prelim or recreation would be doing it a great injustice.

I think $120 million is a great price for that piece, for the right buyer. For example, an upstart museum in the Middle East could really bolster its cachet and get more bodies in the door having an iconic painting like that as part of its permanent collection.

Quotes fixed!! :acclaim:

Who's the cute chick on the right?

Yeah, I remember there was a "Scream" painting that was stolen in Sweden I believe....

The most recent theft was from the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway. I was there in 1999 (see photo below) - as you can see, The Scream was not enclosed/protected and the small museum was barely guarded. It's no wonder the thieves so easily stole it and another famous Munch painting, Madonna, in 2004.