• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM Cover question

7 posts in this topic

So I see this cover for sale on Romita Man's website:

http://romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=15195&ArtistId=1768

I am a novice in the OA world so please bear with me.

The description says this is a pencil only cover, everything else was created digitally. Does this mean there were no inks? What are peoples thoughts on the cover? The subjects are Spidey and G Goblin, but without any of the cover enhancements, it looks a bit odd and plain (to me).

Just curious to the thoughts.

Thanks,

R

No inks would be my guess. It would be easy enough to darken the pencil line work as part of the digital coloring process. It's certainly a nice piece, but, like you said, it seems to be missing the wow factor.

For me it does have the wow factor and I actually enjoy its simplicity. There are many alternative choices that have a lot more detail, but they tend to be quite busy. Sans the ink and color it tends to make them difficult to decipher the imagery at first glance. You don't have that problem here. I also like that it's very straightforward, Spiderman versus the Green Goblin. Often times there are other characters, props or other scenery that tie into the story but distract from the main character.

That's my own subjective opinion about the aesthetic appeal. I can't really speak to the price because I am also new.

personally I'm not impressed. It looks like a well-executed convention sketch.

The artist has done a nice job and has no doubt made it intentionally sparse for purposes of the digitization process, but for me its a little bit like looking at the bare frame of a car and going "ooooh, nice ride." 2c

After scanning the pencils, two thing could have happened:

The scan of the pencils could have been cleaned up in Photoshop and then coloured in Photoshop.

Or the scan of the pencils could have been brought into an application like Illustrator where vector-based line work (basically the digital equivalent of "inks") would have been created to match the original pencils. (In other words, someone either auto-traced the pencils or manually traced them.) And then the digital colour would have been added, either in Illustrator or Photoshop.

Finally, the typesetting, word balloons, masthead, etc. would have been layered on top, either in Illustrator or in a page layout program like InDesign or something similar. (There may be a proprietary layout application that's used in the comics biz, but if so, I don't know what it is.)