• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic subscription store vs online

17 posts in this topic

My local store offers no discount on subscription pulls and instead has a punch card that gives you 10 dollars off after 10 punches. The rub is that you have to spend 10 per punch. So often you spend 8 no punch, 17 only one punch. etc. Basically it would be about 10% off if you make sure and buy your comics in multiples of 10. In reality I'm probably getting like 5-8% off with this system.

I used to get 20-30% at my old store that is out of town.

I do not have any other local stores worth mentioning.

This has got me thinking about moving to ordering books online.

What do you guys think? Is the savings canceled out by shipping charges?

If you do order online what service do you use?

Thank you for any input.

If you don't mind getting books in the nm- to nm range then go for the subscription. I would pay cover price to be ale to pick out my own books.

Or you might try to get the 10% off by mentioning that the other store was giving it to you. That's what I did.

I used DCBS for several years - at 35-40% off cover, and monthly specials with even steeper discounts, it's a solid deal even when you factor in the shipping costs.

When I moved to a new town and discovered that there was a store about 5 mins from my house, I told them I'd move my entire pull list to them if they gave me a 20% discount and threw in bags & boards for my books. They agreed, but it was fairly obvious that I wouldn't have gotten this if I hadn't asked.

In this day & age, it's pretty ridiculous if a store doesn't offer a discount to its subscribers.

+1 for DCBS. I've used them for a couple of years now. Their customer service is excellent and my books always arrive in NM+ to NM/M condition. They have great discounts and you can usually buy any variant covers you want.

This store even limits their sales to only sub holders. If you want to go to a sale and dont have a sub you have to pay 10 bucks to get in...It just rubs me the wrong way.

yeah thats total BS.

midtown is good for after a comic comes out, in case you missed it....DCB is probably the best for preorders....you can't beat their packaging. You can do monthly shipping to save money but you have to wait till the end of the month for them to ship it out.

Thanks everyone...Going to do a trial shipment from DCBS.

Can you subscribe to a title or do you have to fill out a form every month?

They do have a pulllist, but you still have to create your order each month...

I switched to DCBS a few years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. The condition is always better than anything I was ever able to find at the LCS, the discount is definitely much better (even with weekly shipping... if you order enough), the customer service is pretty top-notch, and it's easy to pre-order incentive covers if you order at the beginning of the month...