• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any other twenty-somethings mostly in awe of everyone's else's stuff?

67 posts in this topic

I'll be 26 in July and I've been collecting for about 7 days now 27_laughing.gif

No seriously, I just started, all I have is a box of books I got at a dealer for $50, I got some ASM's on the way and a few '83 star wars books I got cheap, ($4.67 for 71, 72, 73 and 78, including shipping smile.gif ).

I'd like to start collecting everything spiderman that I can get my hands on, Fantastic Four, maybe some DC stuff, not sure yet.

Will I ever have an ASM #1? Probably not! Do I get jealous over those who do have it? Not at all, its just something they have and I don't, and probably never will, so theres no point getting jealous over it. Hulk 181? Who cares, its just a pretty book with a hefty price tag, I don't collect hulk yet (although I'm sure I have a few issues), and unless some miracle happens where I hit the lottery or get willed a nice collection, I probably will never have some of the pricier books. Books running into the mid hundreds are probably well out of my reach, unless and until I start flipping some books, getting some spare play cash.

I see other peoples collections, like the person who got a full run of DC, and I'm really quite amazed by it! Not only is that a LARGE collection it's an extremely VALUABLE one, but it's not mine! I'm quite happy with the 200+ books I got now.

To quote Cheryl Crow, "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got!"

Vince

I'm 41 and I love the books. That's why I didn't put $$ in the stock market or buy a house or fancy car, etc, etc, I bought what I loved -- comics!! Of course, I just didn't buy anything, I bought the issues & titles I liked and made a collection out of it. Only now am I growing up and doing somthing for my family instead of just me (moving to Florida to a new house). But it goes to show you should buy what you like. I love Marvels so bought every high grade Marvel I could in when the prices weren't too out of control and I was going nuts trying to complete runs. When CGC came out, it was rewarding since all of us finally realized just how rare and in demand these books really are (pure luck/serendipity).

So, do as Joe Collector says: buy what you like and don't be in awe of this guy's collection or that guy's. That's not what the books are for. They're for pure enjoyment and fun.

Now, on a serious side, who's got an FF 3 in 9.2 or better????? (just kidding).

Valiants suck and will never be worth anything.

I don't know whether they'll ever be worth anything again, but I have to disagree with you about Valiants sucking. The pre-Unity books were great comics--well written and good solid art. It's unfortunate that they've been so stigmatized because of the bubble that built up around them thanks to hype machines like Wizard and myopic dealers. The bubble SHOULD have burst as it did, because those books never merited the ridiculous values they got driven up to, but that doesn't mean that they were bad books.

i'm 46 , & I truly love comics!!! Collect what you love & enjoy,making money off it is secondary to me!!!! I bought my 1st comic off the newstand in 1963 I;ve love'd comics ever since. Nowadays I mainly collect Golden Age ,other then Silver DC's because I have a near complete Silver Age Marvel Run, AF # 15 ,Spidey #1 -!00!!!! FF # 1-100 ,etc. Don't be envious of anybody's collection ,collect what you can afford & you want ,as for investing I don't put all my eggs in one basket !!! I have shares in major companies, & a Goverment Pension when I retire ,plus my house!!! You will get out of the hobby what you put into it ,hopefully enjoyment,anything else,Iceing on the cake!!!! thumbsup2.gif

agreed. valiants are some pretty entertaining reads... especially pre unity and even the unity saga itself.

My good Captain, if I had the money back in the 80s and 90s to amass a run like you did, I probably would have done it too. But today, there's just something that doesn't have the same appeal to me... I like the books themselves, but when I think of how much money (of my own) is in paper... it occurs to be perhaps too much is being spent on them. Also, with the advent of CGC, half the time I'd rather just have a mid grade affordable copy to look at with good eye appeal that didn't cost a small fortune.

Also, with the advent of CGC, half the time I'd rather just have a mid grade affordable copy to look at with good eye appeal that didn't cost a small fortune

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

In my opinion this hobby isn't about about having the biggest, most expensive collection, it's about having the most fun collecting the books you do.

893applaud-thumb.gif This is what collecting should be all about.

It's all about the one-upmanship and the "in-your-face" factor. It's all about looking prettiest. What is collecting all about without status and the chance to rub someone's face in it? confused-smiley-013.gif You guys and your bizzaro values foreheadslap.gif

insane.gifstooges.gif Gotcha! tongue.gif

Hey Darth - Mine's bigger than yours! shocked.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif

In my opinion this hobby isn't about about having the biggest, most expensive collection, it's about having the most fun collecting the books you do.

It's all about the one-upmanship and the "in-your-face" factor. It's all about looking prettiest. What is collecting all about without status and the chance to rub someone's face in it? confused-smiley-013.gif You guys and your bizzaro values foreheadslap.gif

Hey Darth - Mine's bigger than yours! shocked.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif

At the rate you are selling your wares out there, I would highly disagree sumo.giftongue.gif

At the rate you are selling your wares out there, I would highly disagree sumo.giftongue.gif

I've also been buying heavily - Picked up some major SA issues this week! off-off-eBay 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I've also been buying heavily - Picked up some major SA issues this week! off-off-eBay 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So you sealed the deal? 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Yes, I sealed the deal - I bought the Holy Grail and then some:

AF #15

ASM # 1, 2, 3 , 4, 7, 9, 10, 13, 16

XM #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

hi.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yes, I sealed the deal - I bought the Holy Grail and then some:

AF #15

XM #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

hi.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sweet! AF#15 is my grail too! 893applaud-thumb.gif

AF #15

XM #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

WOW Diva. Ok....this twenty something is now officially in awe.

I must ask though.

Would you be willing to trade the AF #15

for this just cracked out of the slab CGG gem mint

10.0 Golden Age Bugs Bunny?

bugsfront.jpg

Newt,

I'll pass (even though my AF #15 is about the same condition!) 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You sure?

I'll also throw in this very rare variant of Giant Sized X-men #1

Not many were printed with the invisible cover. flowerred.gif

GSx-menf.jpg