• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanos

105 posts in this topic

He is my fave Marvel character. Don't get me started.

No, please do explain. To me he looks like warmed over Bronze-Age nonsense...

Thanos is one of my favorite characters. 2nd favorite villain after Magneto.

He has always been written as a poetic-type villain. He's extremely intelligent and well-spoken however he is also insane.

So are Victor Von Doom and the Red Skull - why is Thanos a better villian?

I would also suggest the captain marvel 25-33 storyline. Go buy some beaters to read.

:applause:

Iron Man #55 starts you off of course.

Captain Marvel #25-33 is next. Marvel Feature #12 and Avengers #125 should be read too during this period.

This leads into Warlock #9-15. His Origin is in #10. This run cannot be missed. He does sit out 12 & 13 but if you're going to do it right you really should read the whole run. Warlock plays a HUGE part in all this and those issues give you a huge insight into the character.

And then you go to Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 for the end of what Jim Starlin refers to as the First Thanos Saga.

The Death of Captain Marvel should be read next. Take an intermission, have a beer and pizza and then come back.

Start anew with Silver Surfer #34-50 and then Infinity Gauntlet 1-6 for the 2nd Thanos Saga.

After that there is a lot of source material but whatever you do don't miss Annihilation. You can get by with just Annihilation Book 3 but read all for one of the best cosmic storylines ever. Note that Thanos is not in the entire Annihilation series but IMO you need to eat your veggies along with the main course.

Speaking of Annihilation they used much of the designs from the Annhilation Wave for the big stuff that throttles Manhattan in The Avengers movie. They looked AWESOME!

Whats so great about him hm

He was able to achieve ultimate power (twice) by obtaining the cosmic cube and the Infinity Gauntlet. While he lost that power (both times) he was able to single handedly take out most of the Marvel universe.

Without the cube or gaultlet he is a force to be reckoned with. He has power, strength and intellingence to go with a mean side unrivaled in the Marvel Universe.

In the past he looked for trouble, found it and the heroes could do nothing about it. I am sure your opinion will change after reading the list of books suggested in the thread.

OK - so now that we all know he is the next baddie in the Marvel flicks...

What is so great about this dude? Other than being a knock-off by Jim Starlin of Darkseid?

Well thanks a lot for throwing that out there before I had a chance to see the ing film. meh

Don't worry, Gary, If you couldn't see the Thanos appearance coming from a mile away, you'd have to hand in your comic collector membership card.

He is my fave Marvel character. Don't get me started.

No, please do explain. To me he looks like warmed over Bronze-Age nonsense...

Thanos is one of my favorite characters. 2nd favorite villain after Magneto.

He has always been written as a poetic-type villain. He's extremely intelligent and well-spoken however he is also insane.

So are Victor Von Doom and the Red Skull - why is Thanos a better villian?

It's just a matter of opinion.

Unlike Doom or Red Skull which are earthly characters with earthly desires such as wealth or political power, Thanos' insane desires were on a completely new level. For example, he wanted to kill billions not because he wanted their wealth or not even because he disliked them--he just wanted to win the love of the entity of death and figured that was killing a bunch of folks that it would dot he trick. They don't call him the "Mad Titan" for nothin'. :insane:

I've also thought his character design was cool looking.

His "look" also plays a part in that as a child he was viewed as a "freak" because of his appearance.

Your checklist was spot-on except for one thing...

Start anew with Silver Surfer #34-50 and then Infinity Gauntlet 1-6 for the 2nd Thanos Saga.

Insert Thanos Quest #1-2 in-between those two sets. :)

Peace,

Chip

I would also suggest the captain marvel 25-33 storyline. Go buy some beaters to read.

:applause:

Iron Man #55 starts you off of course.

Captain Marvel #25-33 is next. Marvel Feature #12 and Avengers #125 should be read too during this period.

This leads into Warlock #9-15. His Origin is in #10. This run cannot be missed. He does sit out 12 & 13 but if you're going to do it right you really should read the whole run. Warlock plays a HUGE part in all this and those issues give you a huge insight into the character.

And then you go to Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 for the end of what Jim Starlin refers to as the First Thanos Saga.

The Death of Captain Marvel should be read next. Take an intermission, have a beer and pizza and then come back.

If you can afford it, Marvel Masterworks 119 will get you Starlin's cosmic epic all in one place. :cloud9:

Your checklist was spot-on except for one thing...

Insert Thanos Quest #1-2 in-between those two sets. :)

Peace,

Chip

(worship) Thats a big omission on my part - thanks (thumbs u

And if you're a Starlin nut, which I am, I recommend Dreadstar (the '80s series published by Epic / First), which showcased similar themes to the first Thanos saga and indeed featured a Thanos type villain over the course of the title's first story arc. A great read, findable in bargain bins at all conventions.

I was kind of surprised when, while looking up whether or not Lou Ferrigno was the voice of Hulk again (he was), that

I noticed that Alexis Denisof was the actor who played "The Other" (Thanos). Leave it to Whedon to have worked one of his former actors in there somewhere.