• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanos

105 posts in this topic

OK - so now that we all know he is the next baddie in the Marvel flicks...

What is so great about this dude? Other than being a knock-off by Jim Starlin of Darkseid?

(shrug) I like the character, but Darkseid IMHO is so much cooler.

OK - so now that we all know he is the next baddie in the Marvel flicks...

What is so great about this dude? Other than being a knock-off by Jim Starlin of Darkseid?

Well thanks a lot for throwing that out there before I had a chance to see the ing film. meh

Ahem....

Actually his name is never mentioned. Maybe it's just some bloke who looks like him?

Happens to me all the time. Yesterday I thought I saw Pee Wee Herman at the pussycat theatre, but it coudn't have been him,,,,,,,,

(shrug)

Thought this was interesting...

Starlin has admitted the character is influenced by Jack Kirby's Darkseid:

Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : "Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"[2]

He is my fave Marvel character. Don't get me started.

No, please do explain. To me he looks like warmed over Bronze-Age nonsense...

Thanos is one of my favorite characters. 2nd favorite villain after Magneto.

He has always been written as a poetic-type villain. He's extremely intelligent and well-spoken however he is also insane.

Infinity Gauntlet is one of the best Marvel story arcs ever released.

He is my fave Marvel character. Don't get me started.

No, please do explain. To me he looks like warmed over Bronze-Age nonsense...

Thanos is one of my favorite characters. 2nd favorite villain after Magneto.

He has always been written as a poetic-type villain. He's extremely intelligent and well-spoken however he is also insane.

Infinity Gauntlet is one of the best Marvel story arcs ever released.

(thumbs u

Sorry for those that say this post is a spoiler. He aint in the movie so no big deal. oops thats a spoiler ? ;)

Wanted to ask, what should I read to be introduced to this guy then?

Have heard that IM 55 is the 1st app, but are there any good TPBs I can seek out?

tnx.

I'm not a huge Thanos guy, but when I was a kid I read Avengers Annual #7 and was utterly dismantled by how cool it was. Only later, as a grown-up, did I get my hands on Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2, the second part of the story.

Read those.

Sorry for those that say this post is a spoiler. He aint in the movie so no big deal. oops thats a spoiler ? ;)

Wanted to ask, what should I read to be introduced to this guy then?

Have heard that IM 55 is the 1st app, but are there any good TPBs I can seek out?

tnx.

Here is a list of all of Thanos' appearances:

http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=1607

If you're looking for TPB's, "Infinity Gauntlet" would be the best option. The sequels "Infinity War" and "Infinity Crusade" also feature Thanos, but those stories were nowhere near as good as Infinity Guantlet. After that, you should try "Thanos Quest".

The "Thanos" series that was released in 2003 might also be a good option. I really did not care for the pre-rendered computer backgrounds that were so prevalent in the series, and at times it was a very confusing story, but it's still worth a read.

Also, Avengers Annual #7. ;)