• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You always remember your first...

41 posts in this topic

It was an EC horror. One of a few I found in a box in the cellar stashed by my oldest brother (he is 10 years me senior) and I was 4 or 5 at the time. This was about 1954 or 1955 so is also one of my earliest memories as well. From there the next one I remember reading was in the late 50's and was a Superboy. Forget which as I read a few Superboys in a row. But until I was 30 or so reading comic books was actually never a part of my upbringing or anything I did even semi-regularly. Just the odd read here and there. Doubt I read more than 20 or so comics until my 30th birthday.

The first comic that I remember reading (though I'm sure it's not the first comic I ever read) was an Amazing Spider-Man in the early 200s. The first comic book that I have a present recollection of reading as I sit here right now is probably ASM#231 or the Conan Movie Adaptation #1.

I remember exactly I was staying at my grandmothers house and she gave me some money because I was bored , and I bought Fantastic Four 24 ( enfant terrible ) and Amazing Spiderman 13 ( Spidey meets a Shrink ) .

Then I spent the rest of my school holidays searching newsagents and secondhand markets buying up every Marvel I could find .

Usual story don't own any of my original collection .

Started to re-collect again April 2001 things are going pretty well , been ripped off on ebay etc.. , but I discoverd Highgradecomics.com and Bob has sold me many nice comics .

Still use ebay of course but I now have a lot of red flags ( cropped scans , small scans etc... )

grin.gif

I started reading comics at quite a young age, so I don't remember the very first one (probably a Pink Panther or Bugs Bunny comic).

But when I got back into comics at around age 11, one of the first I picked up was Uncanny X-Men #151. I really wanted to know why Kitty Pryde was leaving the X-men (what do you want, I was 11 grin.gif)

Alex

My first comic read was a coverless Richie Rich from the mid-to-late-1960s

that I found on the magazine rack at the local barber shop.

It had easily been there for 10 to 15 years... since it was around 1980.

I think there was also a Casper the Ghost comic...

or maybe all the stories were in the same book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not sure. I was young, so it was propably a Caspar the Friendly Ghost, a Sad Sack, or an Archie. Could have even been one of those free Big Boy comics, too. I didn't start reading superheroes until later.

-- Joanna

its either an aquaman with black manta & his baby or spidey #128, the 128 may have been a marvel tales since it was coverless, i don't know. Both were in my older brothers stash. The first comic given to me i read & loved was House of Mystery #261. First one i bought with my own ¢ was star wars #55

Amazing Spiderman 146

I can still remember buying it from the corner variety store almost 30 years ago for 25 cents.

John Romita Sr is the inker in this issue. It wasn't till later when I started collecting

back issues that I realized he drew Spidey full time in the 60s.

I still have this issue but its a real rag .

Uncanny X-Men 278.

Yeah, I'm a youngster, and I didnt start reading comics until I was 12? 14? What was the release date on 278? I grew up in a small town and we had one gas station that sold comics on an old fashioned 4 sided metal display thing that would spin around. cloud9.gif

One of the sadder days in my life was when that store closed down. A couple of years later I made a trip to Gallops comics in Statesboro Ga and I thought that I was in heaven cloud9.gif. I spent entirely too much of my teenage earnings in that place.

Ok, so what was the very first comic you guys remember reading? (And I do mean READING not just OWNING smile.gif ). If I remember correctly, my first was the death of superman. I'd never read comics before that and had no real interest in them, but when I heard that superman was going to die, I really wanted to find out how 27_laughing.gif

Anyhow, what was your first?

Vince

Got a question for you guys here. Exactly how do you start a new thread on these boards? I thought it would be a good idea to find out what everyboby's first back issue purchase through the mail was. Usually this is a significant event that most of us should remember.

Thanks in advance for your help. Something I should know since I've been on these boards for awhile.