• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on ASM 14

36 posts in this topic

Actually, the last sale last month (ComicLink) was for $2,600 for a CGC VF/NM 9.0 with OFF WHITE pages (one PQ stage above the disastrous C-OW). There is also a CGC 8.5 with white pages on ComicLink that has a bid (not accepted) of $2,250. There is a raw 9.0 on ComicLink being offered for $4,200, but that's just nuts. But for a 9.0 with white pages and good print mechanics, I'd happily pay $3,000. Hell, I'd whip that sucker up so fast your head would spin.

All I can say about ComicLInk is that I wouldn't base ANYTHING on the BID on a book. I don't believe that their sales are INACCURATE, but there is absolutely nothing to stop someone from shilling a BID.

This is coming from someone who has listed an identical book with the same CGC grade and page quality for a price LESS than what was shown as a BID, and still had to wait several weeks (and reduce the price) to get a sale.

Not knocking COMICLINK, just stating a fact.

Also, the lowest recorded sale price of ASM #14 in CGC 8.0 is $965. Which month, JUNE 2004. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But the book did have the dread Cream to Off-White pages but I'm sure some of the other twenty recorded sales had the same page quality.

If he's unimportant, why do you think they put him in the very first Spider-Man movie????

Umm..because those ten years of continuity meant they didn't have to do much original -script writing...it was all provided for them in the original source material.

Of the several (non-comic) people who saw the first movie, all told me they found the character concept extremely goofy for a super villain. They liked the movie well enough, but if that character was given to an actor of less skill then W. Dafoe, it might have translated as even more silly and campy then it already was.

the book is over rated. gossip.gif

Says you. It's my favorite comic book in the whole world. 893censored-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree with Pimpy. The goblin hasn't been a relevant character in the Marvel mythology for how long...? 30 years? And even then, he was exlusively a "Spidey" villain, making little or no impact on the Marvel universe as a whole (unlike a Thanos, or Doom).

Besides, finding a solid VF or nicer copy of that book is uber easy.

So really, whats the attraction?

If your three primary missions in life are to fall in love, have kids and own nice copies of every issue of ASM...

If your favorite character, hands down, is Spider-Man, and its commonly accepted that Green Goblin is historically his greatest foe whether he's relevant now or not...

If you consider 39/40 and 121/122 to be THE most classic Spidey stories that don't involve his origin...

maybe you'd understand the attraction to #14. makepoint.gifsmile.gif

after reading all the arguments before and after this post - YOU WIN 893applaud-thumb.gif

Cool Book to own in any condition as long as it 's solid. I have in my collection a vg/f maybe a fine by CGC standards it's Raw but it's a nice looking book. If you want it go for it if you can afford it, Great Ditko Art ,Hulk crossover & The Enforcers Too!!!! Then go after the other Goblin APP!!!!

[i was just going by the greater than average percentage rise in Overstreet prices. Dunno numbers, just noticed it leaping forward pretty fast. When I do have the cash, I'd be pretty happy I think getting a slabbed 9.0 14 for 2000-2300, and a G-VG reader for 150-200 to keep it company.

Quick lesson:

Overstreet does not equal reality in the marketplace. Watch GPA and Ebay for far more accurate current values.

Quick thought:

The book is common, even in high grade.

What do you mean, common in high grade? It is true that ASM#14 is the most often-submitted book of the early Amazing Spider-Man issues (pre- number 40), but of all the issues of ASM before #40, only issue numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 11 have a LOWER percentage of total submissions in unrestored 9.0 or above. It is common in mid-grade, but on a percentage-of-submissions basis, it is less common than almost all of the others.

What do you mean, common in high grade? It is true that ASM#14 is the most often-submitted book of the early Amazing Spider-Man issues (pre- number 40), but of all the issues of ASM before #40, only issue numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 11 have a LOWER percentage of total submissions in unrestored 9.0 or above. It is common in mid-grade, but on a percentage-of-submissions basis, it is less common than almost all of the others.

Common in comparison to other early SA Marvels? I assume this statement was levelled at ASM as a whole and not just #14 specifically? confused-smiley-013.gif

So really, whats the attraction?

early hulkie crossover 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, forget the Goblin, this book has the 1st meeting of Hulk and Spidey and they have a long, drawn-out slugfest! It also was published during the Dark Ages between Hulk 6 and Tales to Astonish 59, although it came out after his short run in the original Avengers. 12th Hulk appearance? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Off White pages. gossip.gif

What's the diff? You can't read it anyway..... wink.gif

The difference is about $800 for a CGC 8.5. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was kidding. tongue.gif

What can I say? I am dense. confused-smiley-013.gif I blame my parents for dropping me as a child.

Off White pages. gossip.gif

What's the diff? You can't read it anyway..... wink.gif

The difference is about $800 for a CGC 8.5. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was kidding. tongue.gif

What can I say? I am dense. confused-smiley-013.gif I blame my parents for dropping me as a child.

You're a lawyer. Sue them! devil.gif