• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Significant Image Comics Creators in the Past 20 Years

57 posts in this topic

Thoughts? Here's what I have so, but I'm curious who else you think should be included here.

• Jim Lee Founder—Partner—Wildstorm
  • Todd McFarlane Founder— Partner—Todd McFarlane Productions
  • Rob Liefield Founder— Partner—Extreme Studios
  • Jim Valentino Founder— Partner—Shadowline
  • Mark Silverstri Founder— Partner—Top Cow
  • Erik Larsen Founder— Partner—Highbrow Entertainment
  • Whilce Portacio Founder
  • Chris Claremont Founder* (Sources are conflicted. He certainly didn't go the distance but he was there for the announced separation and decision to form Image. Probably not much more than a footnote here, but I'm trying to be thorough in this regard.)
  • Sam Keith (early influential contributor)
  • Dale Keown (early influential contributor)
  • Jae Lee (early influential contributor)
  • Robert Kirkman (New)Partner—Skybound
  • Ryan Ottley (New)
  • Tony Moore (New)

Again, I'm not so much interested in creators on a title that's been hot for a few months and then settled into the margins; instead, I'm looking for the big guns. I'm guessing I've hit most of them, but I know the eye for detail these boards have, so I wanted to see what you guys 'n gals thought.

If Moore and Ottley are up there I require Adlard.

Because no artist with that much fame and that little talent should be denied his place.

Because no artist with that much fame and that little talent should be denied his place.

And the wind......cries.....Liefeld.

Agreed. On both counts.

How about Alan Moore with his own imprint - America's Best Comics (under Wildstorm)

Wasn't ABC under Image's "watch" only within the span of 1999 though? My memory is really stretched, so I could be wrong.

Agreed. On both counts.

Love him or hate him, he did help found the company, so he's an automatic shoe-in. :)

Eric Larsen for actually doing his book for more than 3 issues.

You could probably edit it down some.

Portacio hardly finished anything, Claremont didnt do anything, Jae and Dale did like 9 issues in 9 years...Valentino was horrible. Never understood how he got in on Image with people who could draw.

Well, given the choice between Moore and Adlard, I went with the guy who helped create the series w/ Kirkman. I'm not a Dead Head though, so I'd be curious to see what others say. Again, would he be one of the "Most Significant Image Comics Creators in the Past 20 Years" or simply one of the stand out artists in Image for the Walking Dead alone?

Portacio hardly finished anything, Claremont didnt do anything, Jae and Dale did like 9 issues in 9 years...Valentino was horrible. Never understood how he got in on Image with people who could draw.

I agree with everything in this post. (thumbs u

Yeah, I hear you. Some of the founders I wasn't a big fan of either (with their work in Image). Some, very much so. But the founders and partners are pretty much given guaranteed admission for this project. CC, however, doesn't warrant much more than a footnote though given his seeming lack of follow through. I'll take another look at Jae Lee and Keown, though I thought I remember his work on Pitt being a little more consistent. But again, see previous self-depricating memory dig :grin:

Yeah, I hear you. Some of the founders I wasn't a big fan of either (with their work in Image). Some, very much so. But the founders and partners are pretty much given guaranteed admission for this project. CC, however, doesn't warrant much more than a footnote though given his seeming lack of follow through. I'll take another look at Jae Lee and Keown, though I thought I remember his work on Pitt being a little more consistent. But again, see previous self-depricating memory dig :grin:

I thought Keown was far and away the best artist at Image, but he couldn't meet a deadline if it killed him.

I thought Keown was far and away the best artist at Image, but he couldn't meet a deadline if it killed him.

He could when he was at Marvel. I think all that fat cash really did a lot of those guys in as far as getting the work out in a timely manner. They did so much damage to the direct market those first couple of years with all their late and / or vaporware books.

I'm still pizzed about the Valeria She Bat Spawn crossover!

Dude...I'm right there with you. When I saw the Neal Adams promo art for that I was drooling :cry:

He was my favorite artist when he was doing Hulk for Marvel.

Why hasn't anyone said Kirkman? The list has Moore/Adlard and Ottley. He's the biggest thing they've got going for them right now. He writes (and created) Image's two best books.