• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Significant Image Comics Creators in the Past 20 Years

57 posts in this topic

Eric Larsen for actually doing his book for more than 3 issues.

You could probably edit it down some.

Portacio hardly finished anything, Claremont didnt do anything, Jae and Dale did like 9 issues in 9 years...Valentino was horrible. Never understood how he got in on Image with people who could draw.

Yeah, I hear you. Some of the founders I wasn't a big fan of either (with their work in Image). Some, very much so. But the founders and partners are pretty much given guaranteed admission for this project. CC, however, doesn't warrant much more than a footnote though given his seeming lack of follow through. I'll take another look at Jae Lee and Keown, though I thought I remember his work on Pitt being a little more consistent. But again, see previous self-depricating memory dig :grin:

I thought Keown was far and away the best artist at Image, but he couldn't meet a deadline if it killed him.

He was my favorite artist when he was doing Hulk for Marvel.

Why hasn't anyone said Kirkman? The list has Moore/Adlard and Ottley. He's the biggest thing they've got going for them right now. He writes (and created) Image's two best books.

:gossip: He's on the list ;)

Portacio hardly finished anything, Claremont didnt do anything, Jae and Dale did like 9 issues in 9 years...Valentino was horrible. Never understood how he got in on Image with people who could draw.

Yeah, I hear you. Some of the founders I wasn't a big fan of either (with their work in Image). Some, very much so. But the founders and partners are pretty much given guaranteed admission for this project. CC, however, doesn't warrant much more than a footnote though given his seeming lack of follow through. I'll take another look at Jae Lee and Keown, though I thought I remember his work on Pitt being a little more consistent. But again, see previous self-depricating memory dig :grin:

I thought Keown was far and away the best artist at Image, but he couldn't meet a deadline if it killed him.

He was my favorite artist when he was doing Hulk for Marvel.

Why hasn't anyone said Kirkman? The list has Moore/Adlard and Ottley. He's the biggest thing they've got going for them right now. He writes (and created) Image's two best books.

:gossip: He's on the list ;)

It's official. I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. :tonofbricks:

Key word in your title is significant. There are several people on your list that haven't done much of anything significant in over 20 years.

Would J. Scott Campbell be considered significant for his work on Gen 13 and Danger Girl?

Also, didn't Liefeld sell out his partnership at Image?

Aggr1103: I'm certainly open to suggestions for either subtractions or additions. For my purposes, however, I think a founding member's participation in the founding of the org. is more than sufficient to earn recognition as they contributed to paving the way for others. So, while Liefield is out (more or less forced out), he's still earned himself a nod.

Good question about Campbell. What do the rest of you think? Were the issues he contributed to on Gen 13 and Danger Girl real stand outs? Truth be told, the only two I felt really stood out head and shoulders were Invincible and Walking Dead; however, there are other titles I was tempted by (Chew, Sam & Twitch, Mice Templar--a personal favorite). But I wanted to see what you guys thought first. :)

Aggr1103: I'm certainly open to suggestions for either subtractions or additions. For my purposes, however, I think a founding member's participation in the founding of the org. is more than sufficient to earn recognition as they contributed to paving the way for others. So, while Liefield is out (more or less forced out), he's still earned himself a nod.

(thumbs u As a group, they did help to define the 90's comic scene and help to change the landscape of comics.

I've heard Moore mentioned for his line of ABC comics, but what about the work he did on Supreme and Youngblood? I've never read either, but I have heard they were both well done and received a fair amount of praise.

(thumbs u As a group, they did help to define the 90's comic scene and help to change the landscape of comics.

I've heard Moore mentioned for his line of ABC comics, but what about the work he did on Supreme and Youngblood? I've never read either, but I have heard they were both well done and received a fair amount of praise.

I've heard the same and was thinking of including him too; I just didn't know if this was one of those MUST includes, you know? But it's certainly something I'm tooling around with.

Valentino did this in about 6 minutes. He is an excellent artist.

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-132.jpg

There is more to art than being able to do good sketches. It has to do with story telling, composition, proportion, and flow of the comic.

This is where almost all of the image creators, and many modern artists fall woefully short. A comic is more than a series of splash pages.

Moore also had a long run with Wildcats I think...and maybe some related wildstorm titles...

To me it looks like the stuff me and my friends were drawing with ball point pens at the lunch table in high school. Glad to see he has some fans though. I knew they had to be out there somewhere buying his books :D

To me it looks like the stuff me and my friends were drawing with ball point pens at the lunch table in high school. Glad to see he has some fans though. I knew they had to be out there somewhere buying his books :D

You guys must have all had really bad luck to not have had 25+ year careers in comics illustration.

There is more to art than being able to do good sketches. It has to do with story telling, composition, proportion, and flow of the comic.

This is where almost all of the image creators, and many modern artists fall woefully short. A comic is more than a series of splash pages.

I'm nuts about Valentino's work for Marvel on Guardians and What If. IMO the storytelling and flow on those books are pretty top notch

I haven't looked at those books in a long time. They may be quite good. I wasn't really picking on Valentino, but just the fact you can't tell anything from a sketch. Lots of guys can do good sketches, but couldn't draw a comic for anything.

I would tend to guess that Valentino would be working alot more if he were good, but I guess there are potentially alot of other dynamics that come into play.

Michael Turner

Yeah, you would be hard pressed to say that any of them, other than possibly Jim Lee and McFarlane had more significance than Turner. He was the #1 artist in comics for about 10 years, and probably still would be if he had not gotten sick.

I haven't looked at those books in a long time. They may be quite good. I wasn't really picking on Valentino, but just the fact you can't tell anything from a sketch. Lots of guys can do good sketches, but couldn't draw a comic for anything.

I would tend to guess that Valentino would be working alot more if he were good, but I guess there are potentially alot of other dynamics that come into play.

I agree a decent sketch doesn't necessarily = a decent comic

I'm sure there are other dynamics, even if someone is/was good. In his case, I think he's pushing 60 and cant keep up with a monthly book. He's also publishing a number of books, which looks to be his full time job (instead of creating). He switched job fields, it happens. On top of that, not everybody has the creative spark through decade after decade. Doesn't mean they didn't put out some great stuff at some point. You could say that for any artistic avenue. There's tons of bands I listen to that were great for a while, and then put out less inspired stuff later on. That's just natural and I think it happens to people in comics also.

(thumbs u

Not sure why people go so ga-ga over Jim Lee. Haven't been paying attention lately but at one point everything he drew was exactly the same. He's like the AC/DC of comic books artists.

Michael Turner

Yeah, you would be hard pressed to say that any of them, other than possibly Jim Lee and McFarlane had more significance than Turner. He was the #1 artist in comics for about 10 years, and probably still would be if he had not gotten sick.

I never followed Witchblade, but was familiar with the general rundown; I didn't realize he was a co-creator--lead artist, yes, but creator, no. Thanks guys, I'll be sure to get him on the list.

Im on an ipad and im dumb. My apologies to dale for screwing up his post. Will fix later.

This is a very good point.

Also to be considered is an artist's development; this is one reason why we talk about "periods".

Frank Miller late 1984-1994ish is as like unto a god for me. Early and late Miller, not so much. And it all has to do with tastes, styles, materials, influences, etc.