• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Significant Image Comics Creators in the Past 20 Years

57 posts in this topic

Not sure why people go so ga-ga over Jim Lee. Haven't been paying attention lately but at one point everything he drew was exactly the same. He's like the Nickelback of comic books artists.

Fixed. (thumbs u

Not sure why people go so ga-ga over Jim Lee. Haven't been paying attention lately but at one point everything he drew was exactly the same. He's like the Nickelback of comic books artists.

Fixed. (thumbs u

lol point taken.

There's a pretty decent book called 'Image comics: The Road to Independence' which chronicles the creation of the company from first hand accounts (various sides). It's a good read if you're interested:

http://www.spawnworld.com/books/booksandmagazines/imagecomics_rti.htm

Seconded. Good stuff. (thumbs u

Eric Larsen for actually doing his book for more than 3 issues.

You could probably edit it down some.

Portacio hardly finished anything, Claremont didnt do anything, Jae and Dale did like 9 issues in 9 years...Valentino was horrible. Never understood how he got in on Image with people who could draw.

Valentino did this in about 6 minutes. He is an excellent artist.

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-132.jpg

There is more to art than being able to do good sketches. It has to do with story telling, composition, proportion, and flow of the comic.

This is where almost all of the image creators, and many modern artists fall woefully short. A comic is more than a series of splash pages.

Im on an ipad and im dumb. My apologies to dale for screwing up his post. Will fix later.

This is a very good point.

Also to be considered is an artist's development; this is one reason why we talk about "periods".

Frank Miller late 1984-1994ish is as like unto a god for me. Early and late Miller, not so much. And it all has to do with tastes, styles, materials, influences, etc.

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

:whee:

YES WE CAN!!!!!

YES WE CAN!!!!

Eric Larsen for actually doing his book for more than 3 issues.

You could probably edit it down some.

Portacio hardly finished anything, Claremont didnt do anything, Jae and Dale did like 9 issues in 9 years...Valentino was horrible. Never understood how he got in on Image with people who could draw.

Yeah, I hear you. Some of the founders I wasn't a big fan of either (with their work in Image). Some, very much so. But the founders and partners are pretty much given guaranteed admission for this project. CC, however, doesn't warrant much more than a footnote though given his seeming lack of follow through. I'll take another look at Jae Lee and Keown, though I thought I remember his work on Pitt being a little more consistent. But again, see previous self-depricating memory dig :grin:

I thought Keown was far and away the best artist at Image, but he couldn't meet a deadline if it killed him.

He could when he was at Marvel. I think all that fat cash really did a lot of those guys in as far as getting the work out in a timely manner. They did so much damage to the direct market those first couple of years with all their late and / or vaporware books.

I agree the fat cash certainly played a role in getting the work done in a timely manner. If I make $250K on my 1st book, I think I'd be less inclined to lose sleep just to meet a deadline. I also think Dale's output on PITT decreased as he started to i) ink over his own pencils, and ii) play around with computer generated artwork.

Regarding his work at Marvel, he did meet his deadlines most of the time, but did miss some on Hulk so fill - ins by other artists were necessary. There were also some issues that were clearly late in being handed over to inkers towards the end of Dale's run on Hulk and those issues definately looked rushed.

Dale is still one of my favourite artists, and his recent cover work for Marvel shows that he's still one of the most talented in the industry.

Does J. Scott Campbell get an honorable mention?

He should.

Gen 13 was a monster success for Image and at least equally worthy of comparing to Witchblade to a degree.

He mainly drew 'Hot Babes' like Michael Turner from which he built a career around; and both had a really stiff page layout style (i.e. Lame) early in their career.