• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mostly Pedigree Sale: CGC-Certified Atlas Pre-Code Horror

97 posts in this topic

To Andy (my very first customer here on the Boards), Bill, Christian, Dan, Dave, Gabe, George, Jeff, Michaël, Rick, Steve, Thomas, and everyone else who has stopped by to lend their support: many, many thanks!

(worship)(worship)

Tonight we’ll bump it up a notch with a Top Registry Set type offering: Menace (1953-54). :o:o:o

One of the most difficult of the Atlas horror titles to find in CGC 6.0 or better. There are only twelve GPA sales in grades better than CGC 4.0, and only six of those sales have taken place during the past six years. There have been no Heritage sales of CGC-certified copies since 2006-07. Enjoy!

Menace #4 (Jun 1953, River City Pedigree). CGC Grade = 5.5 ow-wh. Census Rank = #2. Price = $340. SOLD – Thank You!

Purchased from Brian Peets during the initial release of the River City Collection in 1998. There is a single piece of tape on the inside of the front cover (put there by the original owner -- presumably, to stabilize the 2"-long top-right corner crease apparent in the scan).

Menace04-55-RC.jpg th_Menace04-55-RCb.jpg

Menace #5 (Jul 1953, Aurora Pedigree). CGC Grade = 7.0 ow-wh. Census Rank = #4. Price = $1600. SOLD – Thank You!

Purchased from Executive Collectibles Gallery during their auction-based initial release of the Aurora Collection in 1996.

Menace05-70-AU.jpg th_Menace05-70-AUb.jpg

Menace #7 (Sep 1953, River City Pedigree). CGC Grade = 6.0 ow-wh. Census Rank = #4. Price = $480. SOLD – Thank You!

Purchased from Brian Peets during the initial release of the River City Collection in 1998. A real beauty!

Menace07-60-RC.jpg th_Menace07-60-RCb.jpg

Menace #8 (Oct 1953). CGC Grade = 6.0 cr-ow. Census Rank = #5. Price = $320. SOLD – Thank You!

A very bright and glossy mid-grade specimen. Rusty staples with light rust staining to the back cover.

Menace08-60.jpg th_Menace08-60b.jpg

Menace #4 (Jun 1953, River City Pedigree). CGC Grade = 5.5 ow-wh. Census Rank = #2. Price = $340.

Purchased from Brian Peets during the initial release of the River City Collection in 1998. There is a single piece of tape on the inside of the front cover (put there by the original owner -- presumably, to stabilize the 2"-long top-right corner crease apparent in the scan).

Menace04-55-RC.jpg th_Menace04-55-RCb.jpg

:takeit:

Men’s Adventures Lot (1953-54). Possibly the most chameleon-like title in the Atlas universe -- originating as True Western #1-2, morphing into True Adventures #3, and finishing as Men’s Adventures #4-28. The six horror-focused issues #21-26 are sandwiched between the twelve war-oriented issues #9-20 and the two superhero revival (Human Torch) issues #27-28. The horror issues are virtually impossible to find in grades of FN or better, and the five-book set shown below represents the fruits of my 40+ year quest. Lot Sale Price = $1800.

Men’s Adventures #21 (May 1953). CGC Grade = 6.0 ow-wh. Census Rank = #1.

Men’s Adventures #24 (Nov 1953). CGC Restored Grade = 6.5 cr-ow (Restoration includes a small amount of color touch on the cover). Census Rank = #1.

I purchased this from Jim Payette, and neither of us noticed the color touch observed by CGC. Just sayin’ ……

Men’s Adventures #25 (Jan 1954). Coverless with ow-wh pages. Probably an unsold copy that was stripped of its cover.

th_Mens21-60.jpg th_Mens21-60b.jpg th_Mens24-65R.jpg th_Mens24-65Rb.jpg th_MensAdv25.jpg th_Mens25b.jpg

Men’s Adventures #22 (Jun 1953, Aurora Pedigree). CGC Grade = 7.0 ow-wh. Census Rank = #1.

Purchased from Executive Collectibles Gallery during their auction-based initial release of the Aurora Collection in 1996.

Mens22-70-AU.jpg th_Mens22-70-AUb.jpg

Men’s Adventures #26 (Mar 1954, Big Apple Pedigree). CGC Grade = 6.5 cr-ow. Census Rank = #2.

I had this copy pegged as a sure-fire FN/VF. Of course, at that point, the top-right corner was still attached.

:pullhair::censored::frustrated:

Mens26-65-BA.jpg th_Mens26-65-BAb.jpg

Strange Tales #7 (Jun 1952, Aurora Pedigree). CGC Grade = 5.5 ow. Census Rank = #8. Price = $320.

023.jpg th_024.jpg

Strange Tales #10 (Sep 1952, Díck Ayers File Copy). CGC Grade = 7.5 cr-ow. Census Rank = #3. Price = $860. SOLD – Thank You!

Signed by Díck Ayers on the first page of the last story. Purchased from Jim Payette in 1996 (along with several other comics from Ayers’ personal collection).

029.jpg th_030.jpg

Men’s Adventures Lot (1953-54). Possibly the most chameleon-like title in the Atlas universe -- originating as True Western #1-2, morphing into True Adventures #3, and finishing as Men’s Adventures #4-28. The six horror-focused issues #21-26 are sandwiched between the twelve war-oriented issues #9-20 and the two superhero revival (Human Torch) issues #27-28. The horror issues are virtually impossible to find in grades of FN or better, and the five-book set shown below represents the fruits of my 40+ year quest. Lot Sale Price = $1800.

Men’s Adventures #21 (May 1953). CGC Grade = 6.0 ow-wh. Census Rank = #1.

Men’s Adventures #24 (Nov 1953). CGC Restored Grade = 6.5 cr-ow (Restoration includes a small amount of color touch on the cover). Census Rank = #1.

I purchased this from Jim Payette, and neither of us noticed the color touch observed by CGC. Just sayin’ ……

Men’s Adventures #25 (Jan 1954). Coverless with ow-wh pages. Probably an unsold copy that was stripped of its cover.

th_Mens21-60.jpg th_Mens21-60b.jpg th_Mens24-65R.jpg th_Mens24-65Rb.jpg th_MensAdv25.jpg th_Mens25b.jpg

Men’s Adventures #22 (Jun 1953, Aurora Pedigree). CGC Grade = 7.0 ow-wh. Census Rank = #1.

Mens22-70-AU.jpg th_Mens22-70-AUb.jpg

Men’s Adventures #26 (Mar 1954, Big Apple Pedigree). CGC Grade = 6.5 cr-ow. Census Rank = #2.

I had this copy pegged as a sure-fire FN/VF. Of course, at that point, the top-right corner was still attached.

:pullhair::censored::frustrated:

Mens26-65-BA.jpg th_Mens26-65-BAb.jpg

Though I focus only on the war themed part of the run, I can personally attest to the difficulty of trying to find decent copies of this title. Its a bugger of a title to try and collect in anything approaching mid to high grade.

Though I focus only on the war themed part of the run, I can personally attest to the difficulty of trying to find decent copies of this title. Its a bugger of a title to try and collect in anything approaching mid to high grade.

Yeah, just try and find a 23 or 25 in grade!