• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HARDCORE #1 from topcow/image by kirkman/silvestri

239 posts in this topic

Book never had long term value. One good week was about it.

A little surprised you would say this. If you are happy to sell raws and make $3-4+ then how is making $20 on the book mean it's not longer worth it?

I may not do the quick $3 flip but I would sell CGC 9.8's on new books for $50 each all day long.

A little surprised you would say this. If you are happy to sell raws and make $3-4+ then how is making $20 on the book mean it's not longer worth it?

I may not do the quick $3 flip but I would sell CGC 9.8's on new books for $50 each all day long.

2 things. none of my LCS's have any copies of hardcore #1 anymore. and i haven't seen any copies sell for enough to take a risk. i don't mind making $3-4 on a book, but i couldn't do that right now. it would cost me about $2.80 with tax, plus ebay and paypal fees, and i'm only seeing raw copies go for $3-5. if hardcore #1 starts selling for $8-12 again, i'll look for copies.

2 things. none of my LCS's have any copies of hardcore #1 anymore. and i haven't seen any copies sell for enough to take a risk. i don't mind making $3-4 on a book, but i couldn't do that right now. it would cost me about $2.80 with tax, plus ebay and paypal fees, and i'm only seeing raw copies go for $3-5. if hardcore #1 starts selling for $8-12 again, i'll look for copies.

Your comment was in response to a sale of a CGC 9.8 selling for $50 and $100.

Your comment was in response to a sale of a CGC 9.8 selling for $50 and $100.

The $50 sale may be a loss; I'm assuming it was a fast-track sub, given the time frame.

Even with fast track it is still a gain.

Gain sorta, the Sketch cost me $40, plus $25 CGC so $65 total, I got 99.99 minus fees and shipping what did I make $10 maybe $15, not worth the trouble IMO. Plus I was one of the first if not the first to auction these books. Both had just 1 bidder and the same person bought both so there are still some holding onto it.

The margin was larger on the non sketch for sure but $25 CGC plus ebay BS I probably made closer to $25 on that book, which isn't horrible if I could repeat that which I doubt I can.

James G

It's nice to see sellers on the bay may have decided to start holding some sort of line on the sketch, and I mean that in a figurative non-literal sense just based on prices and what's available right at this moment. There ain't much in terms of cheap sniping opportunities right now. Of course I'm in on this one for a little more than I would like also, so that's the only reason I'm sort of watching it. Also I have raw copies so I think that even the sketch will need a second issue to propel it towards any major monetary value for me at all, and I think a slow burn increase is hoping for a lot but who knows. Sorry if I asked how many sketches are out there before, do we know exactly?

I just sold a 9.8 regular for $50 and a 9.8 sketch for $100, not really happy about those prices. The population reports are finally up with about 25 total copies graded and a near even split of regular vs sketch. I have the highest graded copy with the only 9.9 sketch cover. I am going to sit on that.

James G

Getting a sketch one back from CGC this week that got graded at 9.8... sucks that your 9.8 only got $100 on feebay, since I was hoping it'd sell better than that. Hopefully it isn't a one-shot and maybe prices will pick-up after follow-up issues are released. Has #2 even been announced?

:ohnoez:

Has any of the pilot series ever had a second issue?

I cannot think of one of the top of my head.

On top if that, I cannot imagine Kirkman has time to start another series.

I just sold a 9.8 regular for $50 and a 9.8 sketch for $100, not really happy about those prices. The population reports are finally up with about 25 total copies graded and a near even split of regular vs sketch. I have the highest graded copy with the only 9.9 sketch cover. I am going to sit on that.

James G

Getting a sketch one back from CGC this week that got graded at 9.8... sucks that your 9.8 only got $100 on feebay, since I was hoping it'd sell better than that. Hopefully it isn't a one-shot and maybe prices will pick-up after follow-up issues are released. Has #2 even been announced?

:ohnoez:

Has any of the pilot series ever had a second issue?

I cannot think of one of the top of my head.

On top if that, I cannot imagine Kirkman has time to start another series.

Cyblade was one and Velocity another I think; both entries and subsequent winners in the first Pilot Season in 2007 which led to both having mini-series.

Hardcore was supposed to be a Pilot Season entry in 2009. For whatever reason it was never released then, so why release it two+ years later and why was it pushed back so long? I haven't found any concrete answers except speculation. Some people think it was pushed backed so long because Image/Top Cow wanted to develop the story into more than a one-shot, but Kirkman was too busy at the time... I honestly don't know, but it'd be cool to see issue #2, #3, etc.

Hardcore was supposed to be a Pilot Season entry in 2009. For whatever reason it was never released then, so why release it two+ years later and why was it pushed back so long? I haven't found any concrete answers except speculation.

Speculation: The book was finished too late (or unfinished) for the 2009 Pilot Season release schedule.

With the recent raft of speculation on Image #1s, they saw an opportunity to print off an already-paid-for project, and sell it for a profit.

It seems like a lot of people are actually interested in the story. Image would be really dumb to fail to capitalize on the genuine interest in this title, which I think is pretty cool. This would be much better than some of the drek they put out (like Epic Kill). Hire a solid writer, and Kirkman could keep his name on it as "overlord."

Keep Stelfreeze as he has always been a fantastic artist, he did some awesome Batman: Shadow of the Bat covers and other stuff at DC. I do wonder if he could keep up with a regular monthly though as I can't really remember him doing one.

Of course this is speculation of what could happen if they decide to give it a shot (which they should).

It seems like a lot of people are actually interested in the story. Image would be really dumb to fail to capitalize on the genuine interest in this title, which I think is pretty cool. This would be much better than some of the drek they put out (like Epic Kill). Hire a solid writer, and Kirkman could keep his name on it as "overlord."

Keep Stelfreeze as he has always been a fantastic artist, he did some awesome Batman: Shadow of the Bat covers and other stuff at DC. I do wonder if he could keep up with a regular monthly though as I can't really remember him doing one.

Of course this is speculation of what could happen if they decide to give it a shot (which they should).

If they do capitalize on it I bet it doesn't reach issue 11. I guess it could be an opportunity for them to make a few more dollars, but it seems like Kirkman is busy enough with three or four titles already, not counting his licensing deals where he seems to be on board as an adviser in most cases. Swapping out writers would guarantee the comic doesn't reach issue three. THey would probably do better having him write a new first issue for a new comic every month

If they do capitalize on it I bet it doesn't reach issue 11. I guess it could be an opportunity for them to make a few more dollars, but it seems like Kirkman is busy enough with three or four titles already, not counting his licensing deals where he seems to be on board as an adviser in most cases. Swapping out writers would guarantee the comic doesn't reach issue three. THey would probably do better having him write a new first issue for a new comic every month

I hear ya, most books don't reach #12 anyway. Fans get bored, creators get bored...Maybe the 4 issue mini-series treatment could work.

Well, at least a second print for Hardcore #1 was released...

(not my book)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardcore-1-2nd-Print-SKETCH-CGC-SS-9-8-signed-Brian-Stelfreeze-IMAGE-KIRKMAN-/110915094628?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19d30e0864

I've still got 2 CGC 9.8 sketch variants so any sort of news or bump in interest would be great!