• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May Art Auction Results Thread

159 posts in this topic

Congrats on your first Frazetta BP

Oh and Malvin, your splash kicks this one to pieces. :cloud9:

Thaks Jbud73, that was another reason why I didn't go harder on that Tim Sale Dark Victory Splash.

Malvin

The Gil Kane Legends of The Dark Knight cover sold for what I feel is a bargain at $1K.

I saw a Mike DeCarlo Avengers 4 re-creation that sold for $190. Just a few weeks ago it sold on eBay for half that amount.

Ya all Buscema covers from Conan run about $5k, if this is for a splash wonder what Conan #100 cover or unpublished cover would fetch with the Death of Belit. Both the cover and unpublished are two of the best covers from the series.

Whew! I had thought that piece was around $20k too. I was floored at that price.

No one else said anything, so I just figured I was the only one that didn't get it.

Ron

I actually thought it was a $30k piece but Kirby prices are on the up I guess

Gene, was that a victory on X-Men 197??

No, it wasn't me. I probably would have bid more aggressively had I not picked up the #180 cover recently. Also, the 60 cent covers is where my nostalgic sweet spot is for most Marvel titles (not so much the 65 centers for some reason). I did pick up the Byrne X-Men #127 page, though - I was looking for a Byrne page with Wolverine in action, and this fit the bill at what I thought was a very fair/reasonable price.

Ya all Buscema covers from Conan run about $5k, if this is for a splash wonder what Conan #100 cover or unpublished cover would fetch with the Death of Belit. Both the cover and unpublished are two of the best covers from the series.

The Conan splash price was surprising, though it is lovely. I used to be a big fan of the #100 cover, but kind of fell out of love with it - I'm just not a fan of Chan's inks most of the time, especially his later efforts. Though, you're probably right - with this and the ComicLink sale, I bet it'd fetch a hefty price in this market.

No one has mentioned the FF 81 splash that went for 40k with the juice. I loved that one and was sorely tempted, but thought it was more of a 20-25k piece. I have to rethink the Kirby FF pricing structure. Glad I didn't get my hopes up on this one.

IMO, the quality of that splash is not commensurate with a $40K price tag, but such is the current fever in the marketplace that this was the price needed to win it. More power to whoever bid it up that high for having the money to burn, but I think it's simply a bad price for it. Scott, while you're rethinking the Kirby FF pricing structure, you should ask yourself whether this new pricing paradigm ("no price is too high" for trophy pieces, while second-tier pieces now fetch prices formerly reserved for the first-tier) is sustainable in the long-run. My own feeling is that it is not, but, of course, recent history would say otherwise.

Congrats on the 127 page Gene. That's a super example from the run.

Thanks, Chris. I didn't expect to win, as I thought it would go for $12-$15K given how strong Byrne pages were in the last auction, so I'm very happy to have gotten this one for less than $10K. I think that scratches my Byrne itch for now, so I think it's on to other things...

The Kirby FF #55, FF #81, the Buscema Conan splash, the Bagley ASM cover and the Eastman TMNT drawing were among the :whatthe: highlights of the auction for me. Like others, I thought there would be more action on the Killing Joke page, though, and I'm floored that the Supes vs. Bats DKR page sold for under $40K.

Regarding the high-priced highlights, I wonder if new money has come into the hobby, because these kind of prices smack to me of new blood with lots of money paying up for the best of what's publicly available (as opposed to what's actually worthy of these kinds of prices). I take it everyone saw the Bats #1 CGC 9.2 sell for $850K this week, bought by an "investment partnership" (I heard that it's actually outside oil money and not just some comic book speculators who banded together). I wonder if there is similarly dumb money chasing OA? (shrug)

Thanks, Chris. I didn't expect to win, as I thought it would go for $12-$15K given how strong Byrne pages were in the last auction, so I'm very happy to have gotten this one for less than $10K. I think that scratches my Byrne itch for now, so I think it's on to other things...

The Kirby FF #55, FF #81, the Buscema Conan splash, the Bagley ASM cover and the Eastman TMNT drawing were among the :whatthe: highlights of the auction for me. Like others, I thought there would be more action on the Killing Joke page, though, and I'm floored that the Supes vs. Bats DKR page sold for under $40K.

Regarding the high-priced highlights, I wonder if new money has come into the hobby, because these kind of prices smack to me of new blood with lots of money paying up for the best of what's publicly available (as opposed to what's actually worthy of these kinds of prices). I take it everyone saw the Bats #1 CGC 9.2 sell for $850K this week, bought by an "investment partnership" (I heard that it's actually outside oil money and not just some comic book speculators who banded together). I wonder if there is similarly dumb money chasing OA? (shrug)

If there is, I don't see them going after the Buscema Conan splash, the Bagley ASM cover or the Eastman TMNT drawing. The $155K Kirby, on the other hand, smacks of new money.

I thought $19K was a good price for that KJ page. I like that page...a solid character page. But most guys I talked to were "meh" because of the lack of costumes. So I thought $20K would be the top. If anything surprised me, it was that all the bidding happened before the live auction.

The Batman/Superman DKR page either seriously underperformed, or the DKR market is leveling off. I also think potential DKR buyers have been a bit lulled into complacency. After a five year drought, there's been at least one DKR page in every auction since Feb 2011. Buyers have been spoiled with choices.

Congrats to all the winners today!

there are some pieces in the auction that are actually quite sad.

here is one

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7059&lotNo=92137

Prince Valiant hand colored Sunday and Heritage definitely notes that the coloring was NOT done by Hal Foster

these are some of the pieces that the fool who now resides in the nuthouse in NYC knitting sweaters had colored. The one linked above is an outstanding example that while not "ruined" by a bad coloring job, IS ruined by a fool doing something he never should have done.

The coloring ruined those for me.

Did these belong to "the fool" at the time he was committed?

If there is, I don't see them going after the Buscema Conan splash, the Bagley ASM cover or the Eastman TMNT drawing. The $155K Kirby, on the other hand, smacks of new money.

I thought $19K was a good price for that KJ page. I like that page...a solid character page. But most guys I talked to were "meh" because of the lack of costumes. So I thought $20K would be the top. If anything surprised me, it was that all the bidding happened before the live auction.

The Batman/Superman DKR page either seriously underperformed, or the DKR market is leveling off. I also think potential DKR buyers have been a bit lulled into complacency. After a five year drought, there's been at least one DKR page in every auction since Feb 2011. Buyers have been spoiled with choices.

I don't know which surprised me more the DKR vs. Supes page NOT cracking $40k or the DD 190 page that's all Janson on the art board (from small Miller layouts not on the art board) running up to almost $11k.

there are some pieces in the auction that are actually quite sad.

here is one

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7059&lotNo=92137

Prince Valiant hand colored Sunday and Heritage definitely notes that the coloring was NOT done by Hal Foster

these are some of the pieces that the fool who now resides in the nuthouse in NYC knitting sweaters had colored. The one linked above is an outstanding example that while not "ruined" by a bad coloring job, IS ruined by a fool doing something he never should have done.

The coloring ruined those for me.

Did these belong to "the fool" at the time he was committed?

I wouldn't know, but I have suspicions

Bagley ASM 363 cover...almost $17k!! :o

The buyer must have thought it was McFarlane. :P

Otherwise, it must have totally bullseyed somebody'stwo people`s nostalgic sweet spot.

Fixed that for ya.

Which makes it even more unbelievable.

Perhaps, though I still think there's a good chance we'll see the FF #55 page end up with one of les suspects habituels. As for the other pages, I could easily see some huckster telling some deep-pocketed noobs, "It doesn't get more blue chip than Kirby/Sinnott FF - anything under $50K for that FF 81 splash is a good deal" or "That TMNT drawing is the most significant piece of available Turtles artwork and comic art from the '80s - you should pay up to $75K". Though, who knows. It may just be that there's not enough of the truly good stuff to meet demand, and so even established collectors are grading on a curve and just throwing money at whatever's available. And, they may be worried about getting priced out of the market if the current rate of price appreciation continues, so they're just grabbing whatever they can, while they can.

I was outbid on the Wrightson ASM "Hookie" page I really liked :sorry: .....the FF 55 page made me proud to be a Kirby freak......a wealthy patron who loves Kirby and also enjoys mountain climbing would have been tailor made for that one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That was a sweet Everett 70s Subby page with Nita but was expecting it to go for less.

I got absorbed with work and when I logged on the Auction was on F so I missed the Everett but not sure I would have raised my bid to beat that price - with California tax that would be almost $5K

For the pieces I was tracking thought prices were strong: Heath OAaW, All the BWS, Jones reclining woman, Kaluta Shadow..some of the Wrightson

A real shocker....Colan/Palmer DD86 - over $2K!!

Heritage seems to do pretty well for the Sellers

Or old money with a stack of Kirby/Sinott in the basement. All boats rise with the tide. Besides, it takes two bidders to get to $155K.

Perhaps, though I still think there's a good chance we'll see the FF #55 page end up with one of les suspects habituels. As for the other pages, I could easily see some huckster telling some deep-pocketed noobs, "It doesn't get more blue chip than Kirby/Sinnott FF - anything under $50K for that FF 81 splash is a good deal" or "That TMNT drawing is the most significant piece of available Turtles artwork and comic art from the '80s - you should pay up to $75K". Though, who knows. It may just be that there's not enough of the truly good stuff to meet demand, and so even established collectors are grading on a curve and just throwing money at whatever's available. And, they may be worried about getting priced out of the market if the current rate of price appreciation continues, so they're just grabbing whatever they can, while they can.

I was a serious contender for the FF 55 piece,but I wouldn't consider myself a usual suspect or new money... made a run at it and lost :cry: