• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #2 CGC 9.2 sells for $77,000

56 posts in this topic

Looks like the OTHER 9.2 up at Comic Connect now

Incredible that there are two copies this ridiculous in the world.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=521064&title=SUPERMAN

wow white pages.

I gotta say the comiconnect book is the one I would buy if side by side with the other 9.2.

Agreed. That is one fresh copy

+1, though either one, if I could afford it and it were available to me, I wouldn't kick out of the short box.

With the guide at 50K that is almost a 50% premium. Quality unrestored top flight gold rules. The comic connect book is at 30K plus and I expect that copy-which is better with white pages to go well over guide.

This is a very historic GA comic book, now tell what would you rather have a 20 issue run of Star Spangled in high grade or this book....no contest...trade up that is where the action is....I mean super action.

With the guide at 50K that is almost a 50% premium. Quality unrestored top flight gold rules. The comic connect book is at 30K plus and I expect that copy-which is better with white pages to go well over guide.

This is a very historic GA comic book, now tell what would you rather have a 20 issue run of Star Spangled in high grade or this book....no contest...trade up that is where the action is....I mean super action.

Strictly from a collector's standpoint, what are some of your favorite GA titles/issues?

I dont think I have a collectors point of view being a collector, dealer, and former comic book store owner. I have to say collector/investor

I like Cap 1-10 and the rest of the issues unrestored. I still maintain Cap #1 is the best bargain for top flight GA both as a collector and investor( I know I have been saying that since I first came on the boards. They by far are the safest investment for a comic book collector

Action 1-19, with 20-25 unrestored.

Marvel comics 1 unrestored.

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

Det 27-38, 39-42 unrestored

Flash 1, AA 16, Red Raven 1, Whiz 1, 1939 NY worlds fair( very high grade only) all

unrestored.

FF-1-10, 11-20, 25 unrestored, Thor 83-85, Iron Man 39/40, AF15, Spiderman 1-5, 6-40 unrestored, X men 1, Hulk 1-6, 102, Nick Fury 1, ST 101,102, 110 135, FF Ann 1/2, Strange tales Ann 1/2, ASM Ann1

Tales of Terror Ann#1 unrestored( one of the rarest EC's ever)

I dont think I have a collectors point of view being a collector, dealer, and former comic book store owner. I have to say collector/investor

I like Cap 1-10 and the rest of the issues unrestored. I still maintain Cap #1 is the best bargain for top flight GA both as a collector and investor( I know I have been saying that since I first came on the boards. They by far are the safest investment for a comic book collector

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

Flash 1, AA 16, Red Raven 1, Whiz 1, 1939 NY worlds fair( very high grade only) all

unrestored.

FF-1-10, 11-20, 25 unrestored, Thor 83-85, Iron Man 39/40, AF15, Spiderman 1-5, 6-40 unrestored, X men 1, Hulk 1-6, 102, Nick Fury 1, ST 101,102, 110 135, FF Ann 1/2, Strange tales Ann 1/2, ASM Ann1

100% (thumbs u

Strictly from a collector's standpoint, what are some of your favorite GA titles/issues?

Batman 11 (very high grade glossy cover)

Daring Mystery Comics #1 (top condition a must for great cover)

When Worlds Collide double photo cover (front and back) it kicks...

Flash Gordon FC#9 (also great front and back cover) What an artist

Dynamite Comics with Johnny Dynamite....the black and white panels mixed in with the color is amazing, all the covers are classic especially #2 and #3 appearances.

Jaguar comics early issues only ( it is a kids thing)

The EC pocket books also had a big factor in my collecting days, I must of read those and the early mads 20x times each

I really liked the fantasy masterpieces with GA Cap all the way up to #18 guardians of the galaxy.

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

unrestored.

Red Raven is a book around which I've never really understood the fascination.

Granted it's an early Timely, it's got a cool cover, it's rare (there are other GA books that are rare too) but beyond that, I'm a bit baffled.

It has no continuing characters per se. It was cancelled after one issue (and maybe was never intended to go beyond that one issue anyway). The stories are poorly written. The art in some instances isn't much better.

It seems to me to be a book that's ridden the coattails of love for Timelys.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's a bad investment - sales figures for high grade unrestored copies say it isn't. I just don't understand the love for it.

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

unrestored.

Granted it's an early Timely, it's got a cool cover, it's rare (there are other GA books that are rare too) but beyond that, I'm a bit baffled.

It has no continuing characters per se. It was cancelled after one issue (and maybe was never intended to go beyond that one issue anyway). The stories are poorly written. The art in some instances isn't much better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's a bad investment - sales figures for high grade unrestored copies say it isn't. I just don't understand the love for it.

Red Raven #1 is more of a collector's book than an investment book, and typically it's high up the chain for those older collectors. The book has lost a lot of love over the years, but those collectors who collected in the 1970's & early 1980's have a "mystic" mentality towards it. That's another reason why Chuck Rozanski held on to the Mile High copy for as long as he did.

Kirby.

Yeah, I understand that, but it's not Kirby at his best in my opinion. Certainly not enough to command the $ in high grade unrestored that it does.

Kirby.

Plus its a first issue and much rarer than say the Human Torch #1 which followed.

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

unrestored.

Red Raven #1 is more of a collector's book than an investment book, and typically it's high up the chain for those older collectors. The book has lost a lot of love over the years, but those collectors who collected in the 1970's & early 1980's have a "mystic" mentality towards it. That's another reason why Chuck Rozanski held on to the Mile High copy for as long as he did.

Didn't he just sell that recently? Was it on Heritage? hm

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

unrestored.

Didn't he just sell that recently? Was it on Heritage? hm

$74k+ a couple of years ago. Billy Wright copy about $42K + a year or two ago.

That's a whole lotta love...granted they are both pedigree copies...it would be interesting to see what a non-pedigree copy in similar condition would fetch.

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

unrestored.

You are right on that, in very early days 1970 Red Raven was worth as much as marvel one and rarer. It was always a book in the top ten in the early days, now its down to about 30th with the marvels coming in and taking over the top 20.

It is Kirby, very rare in top condition and a personal fav of my mine. One board member here owns the 42K ha.com copy.

Superman 1-3, 76, 100

Batman 1, 100

unrestored.

You are right on that, in very early days 1970 Red Raven was worth as much as marvel one and rarer. It was always a book in the top ten in the early days, now its down to about 30th with the marvels coming in and taking over the top 20.

It is Kirby, very rare in top condition and a personal fav of my mine. One board member here owns the 42K ha.com copy.

I'd be tempted to jettison Red Raven 1 and replace it with say unrestored high grade MM 9.

I also don't mind a Detective 140 and the two Canadian Timely Giants - all high grade and unrestored of course.