• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JRR Tolkien - 1st US ed of the Silmarillion rare 1st/1st w all points PRICE DROP

20 posts in this topic

Here I've got two Tolkien first US editions. These are "The Silmarillion" in the rare first state with errors and "Unfinished Tales".

:takeit: in the thread rules, PMed offers are also welcome. If someone buys in the public thread that negates all ongoing negotiations via PM.

Paypal, MO/check all accepted. Returns accepted if not satisfied, buyer pays return shipping.

Shipping is additional to your location via the method of your choice. International buyers are welcome as long as you are amenable to paying the shipping to your location.

I've taken a bunch of photos of each book, but if there is something that I didn't catch that you would like to see just let me know. I want you to know what you are buying and feel 100% comfortable.

"The Silmarillion" - First US edition and first printing with all the points. Correct number line with "First Printing" stated. "Father Giles of Ham" listed in the author's other titles. "and" is italicized on page 352, and "Feanor" lacks the period on page 330 line 4.

Map is included and still attached at the back of the book. DJ is present with minor chipping and light soiling. Spine is tight with only a slight lean. DJ is in a cover.

Tougher book, asking $60 $75 $100+ shipping for it. This new price is quite reasonable when compared to prices I saw online during my research. I saw websites and eBay sellers asking $200-400 for copies of this book.

SilmarillionFC.jpg

SilmarillionFC2.jpg

SilmarillionBC.jpg

SilmarillionSpine.jpg

SilmarillionSpine2.jpg

SilmarillionSpine3.jpg

SilmarillionTop.jpg

SilmarillionIFC.jpg

SilmarillionList.jpg

SilmarillionMap.jpg

Silmarilliontitle.jpg

"Unfinished Tales" - 1st US edition with a complete number line.

Map is attached at back of book. DJ has some wear, particularly at top of spine, a touch of color loss in title on front cover, and some creasing to bottom of back cover, but book still displays well. Spine is tight with only a bit of lean. SOLD :news:

UnfinishedFC.jpg

UnfinishedBC.jpg

UnfinishedSpine.jpg

Unfinishedtitle

UnfinishedTop.jpg

Unfinishedtitle.jpg

Map is attached at back of book. DJ has some wear, particularly at top of spine, a touch of color loss in title on front cover, and some creasing to bottom of back cover, but book still displays well. Spine is tight with only a bit of lean. Asking $15 + shipping.

UnfinishedFC.jpg

UnfinishedBC.jpg

UnfinishedSpine.jpg

Unfinishedtitle

UnfinishedTop.jpg

Unfinishedtitle.jpg

:takeit:

Map is attached at back of book. DJ has some wear, particularly at top of spine, a touch of color loss in title on front cover, and some creasing to bottom of back cover, but book still displays well. Spine is tight with only a bit of lean. Asking $15 + shipping.

:takeit:

^^

New :bump: and price drop. Offers welcome!

Ughhh! You are killing me!!! I already have like 6 different editions of the Silmarillion :screwy:

One more and I think my wife will leave me!

Why in the hell has someone not bought this awesome edition of without question the greatest book ever written?!? ???

New :bump: and price drop. Offers welcome!

Ughhh! You are killing me!!! I already have like 6 different editions of the Silmarillion :screwy:

One more and I think my wife will leave me!

Why in the hell has someone not bought this awesome edition of without question the greatest book ever written?!? ???

I would love this but I need to start saving money to move finally.

If you guys change your minds the book is still available! :wishluck:

Dammit people!!! Am I the only LOTR fan in the world?!?

Even if it wasn't a 1st print, Silmarillion is so feaking awesome it's worth 60 beans!!! (worship)

I already have this that I bought at a used book store in Tallahassee like 20 years ago for a buck but it's missing the dust jacket and map. I have like 7 other printings and covers and REALLY don't want to add number 8 doh!

Someone please buy this big fat piece of pure awesomeness! :wishluck:

I remember buying mine the day it came out and considering buying a second copy to sell in the future. Looks like I made the right decision.

Even the British version isn't bringing very much some thirty plus years after publication.

I found my copy in a comic box - it looks like it is a 5th printing? :shrug:

Do you think it is worth anything?

It's unread, but has that small tear at bottom left FC on the dustjacket, and smaller one on the top back edge.

Silmarilionfc.jpg

Silmarilionbc.jpg

Silmarilionguts.jpg

Looks like a 6th printing to me based on the number line. Sufunk would be more the expert on a value for this book than me. I know that the 1st with the points is valuable because it is a rarer version. I wouldn't guess that a 6th printing would be particularly valuable, but you never know.