• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Googly Moogly Avengers #5 in CGC NM+

72 posts in this topic

Burnt,

FF#1, DD#1, JIM #83, Hulk #1all in super high condition at the same time. 893whatthe.gif I would have armed security hanging on to the running boards of my car doing sweeps of the complex every 15 minutes and with orders to take no prisoners if someone so much as looked at them too long. What a thrill.

Did you ask Cap how his website is coming and when he expects the grand opening to be. Drooling in anticipation. cloud9.gif

I can't imagine why the term "Oriental" is unpolitically correct; it's a geographical reference. Is it because Americans have historically looked at Asians as all the same or something?

"Oriental" is not politically correct when applied to people because it means "Eastern." The presumption is that the term assumes that Europe or America is the center of the world. However, Oriental is politically correct when speaking about rugs or carpets. "Asians" is a better term, since it means people from the continent of Asia.

Burnt,

FF#1, DD#1, JIM #83, Hulk #1all in super high condition at the same time. 893whatthe.gif I would have armed security hanging on to the running boards of my car doing sweeps of the complex every 15 minutes and with orders to take no prisoners if someone so much as looked at them too long. What a thrill.

Did you ask Cap how his website is coming and when he expects the grand opening to be. Drooling in anticipation. cloud9.gif

A matter of days.

Burnt,

Don't you think Miss Paraguay is striking a rather curious pose? Not that there is anything wrong with it but it leaves me weak in the knees just thinking about what was going through her mind when she took that shot (so to speak). tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

it's funny you should say that - that picture just floors me EVERY time i look at it.

i look forward to seeing my posts now grin.gif

Burnt,

look for pedigreecomics.com today. it wasn't up yet this morning but it should be very soon. nice site, by the way, and his books on the home page are unbelieveable. the hulk #1 in 9.2 is for sale as is the avengers #1 9.6 and sgt fury #1 9.4............... cloud9.gif

Oriental

that's not PC james, it's "asian" women now......inanimate yes, animate no. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

Pimpy - when did Oriental become a bad word?? i missed the boat on this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oriental isn't a bad word, it's just not used to describe people. It is only used in describing inanimate objects (rugs, art, etc.).

society

You speak for them, then? shocked.gif Got any generally accepted social artifacts (dictionaries, major literary works, etc) to back that up, or did you become the de facto conduit for societal standards without my noticing? I usually use the dictionary for word definitions and connotations, and mine is lacking your definition. confused-smiley-013.gif

Oriental

Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental meaning “eastern” is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

popcorn.gif

Hey Harry, something tells me you haven't gotten too many complaints that your sig pic is too big, right? 27_laughing.gif

not a one so far, but they did knock off my bodypainted supergirl avatar about 6 weeks ago without so much as a word...... 893naughty-thumb.gif

no rebuttal? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have to work during the day blush.gif

Are the islands off the coast of Asia considered to be a part of Asia? When I thought back to why I even used the word "Oriental" in this thread, or anytime, for that matter, it's so I'm inclusive of Japan, the Phillipines, etc. Does the word "Asian" encompass those countries?

damn the man and his oppressive work hours!

now you're starting to enter into a geography discussion. Although I would assume that Japan would be included in region of Asia, I think the Philippines have another geographical term. Although I could be wrong. As I am also unlcear as to the border of Asia to the West and North sides of the continent.