• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Art of Slabbing: When to Slab

31 posts in this topic

I will admit that flippers rub me the wrong way... that is other collectors that seek their "inventory" from the same marketplace I do. Nothing is more annoying than someone who publicly buys for X dollars and the next day tries to sell it to me for 2 or 3 X. 893frustrated.gif I guess I'd prefer someone who really wants the book for his own collection to get a deal than a flipper who adds ZERO value and only ends up pumping the price. 893censored-thumb.gif

I don't know if that is really fair. If I take the time to find a book that grades a 9.6 and someone else is willing to pay X of guide for it, why is there a problem. If it is at a con or a local shop, anyone has that same chance. I guess I just don't understand that logic. Not trying to be pissy, just trying to understand your point. Have you never bought a book to flip yourself? I would say half of my comic money when I go to a con is to buy books to flip. I will inturn use that to buy more books for my collection or more books to flip. I seems fair???

Sterling.... I paid $500 for that "apparent" 9.6 or better ASM 129 I will post scans of it when I get it. At least im not bidding $13,000 + for a Action Comics #1 for sale right now on E-Bay by a brand new seller, with zero feed back. In Puerto Rico

If it is a legitimate book, at lot of people on these boards will be blowing chunks for not bidding.... myself included. With risk comes rewards...... By the way, every comic book was "Raw" at one point. Someone took a chance.........

I would say half of my comic money when I go to a con is to buy books to flip. I will inturn use that to buy more books for my collection or more books to flip. I seems fair???

Sure, but you've got to realize that the party will come to an end, and the flipping ratios will continue to decrease.

No market allows you to "print money" for too long.

I would say half of my comic money when I go to a con is to buy books to flip. I will inturn use that to buy more books for my collection or more books to flip. I seems fair???

Sure, but you've got to realize that the party will come to an end, and the flipping ratios will continue to decrease.

Oh no doubt, but for the time, it is freaking fun. I have gotten a few books that I would never had afforded because I made some good money on flipping a book. I guess for me it just means more money to spend on other books. It is a lot like the .com of the late 90's. Just make sure you are out at the right time.... confused.gifinsane.gif

It is a lot like the .com of the late 90's. Just make sure you are out at the right time.... confused.gifinsane.gif

Yep, and not holding too much "flipping inventory" when the music stops. As long as you flip what you speculate on ASAP, and buy what you want to keep, then you'll be fine in the long run.

It is a lot like the .com of the late 90's. Just make sure you are out at the right time.... confused.gifinsane.gif

Yep, and not holding too much "flipping inventory" when the music stops. As long as you flip what you speculate on ASAP, and buy what you want to keep, then you'll be fine in the long run.

Another good point. My flipping inventory is close to nothing. I buy, submit and sell. Yet another reason why the long CGC return sucks.

I thought you said the party ended in 1980 something?

I always knew you had a severe learning disability. grin.gif

P.S. Go INVEST in some more plastic slabs ASAP, so you can pay for your kid to go to Harvard!! Run boy, run!!

Quote: Another good point. My flipping inventory is close to nothing. I buy, submit and sell. Yet another reason why the long CGC return sucks.

If you are talking about Moderns I would have to agree, your long term prospects are many years away unless you can pull the odd 10.0 here any there. If your are buying slabbed SA stuff (but still doing your homework) and tucking it away for the long-term I think your still in good shape. Most popular titles 40 years ago are still popular today and will be in the long run?

As I am from Canada I am a little hesitant to send my stuff in for grading because I wouldn't want to wait to 2-3 months to get them back and when I start to add the cost up submitting them on a express basis, courier costs to and from its not cheap. I guess this is one reason why I don't mind paying a premium for slabbed stuff.

I always knew you had a severe learning disability. grin.gif

P.S. Go INVEST in some more plastic slabs ASAP, so you can pay for your kid to go to Harvard!! Run boy, run!!

So apparently the "hyper-intelligent" resort to inane insults when they can't come up with something...umm...intelligent in response. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif