• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Art of Slabbing: When to Slab

31 posts in this topic

Ok, I've seen books go up in price exponentially just because they were slabbed with a high grade. Some of you may remember a post I made about a spawn #1 in GM 10.0 CGC going for $500 on comiclink. So how do you know when a book is good to slab for the sole purpose of flipping it. I can shell out 30 bucks to have a book slabbed if I can turn around and sell it for $100 or more, but how do you know, or how can you make an educated guess? Being somewhat adept at grading I'm sure is a positive thing.. sending a book in expecting a 9.? grade and getting it back a 7.? would not be prudent. So when are you not wasting your money? I seen a book for sale, asm (162? Maybe? First appearance of the alien suit, not sure the exact number I forget) for $30 and it looks to be in great condition. If I buy it for $30 and get it slabbed for another $30, you think I could possibly flip it for $120 if it comes back a 9.0+?

Thanks again

Vince

It's not just the flipping. It's knowing what is selling, where it sells, the demand versus supply, grade etc. You have too be a very good grader. You have too know that what your buying is a 9.????? If your not sure, your not up too the grading end of things quite yet..

It's not just the flipping. It's knowing what is selling, where it sells, the demand versus supply, grade etc. You have too be a very good grader. You have too know that what your buying is a 9.????? If your not sure, your not up too the grading end of things quite yet..

Funny you brought that up--so when is your ASM 129 going to CGC since it looked like an apparant 9.6 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Vince, learn how CGC grades and marks down defects--It may cost a little bit of money up front but once you have the ability to get an accurate CGC grade then, as Stout suggests, knowing WHAT is selling WHERE it is selling, etc will definitely help. Some books, like Amazing Spider-man, seems to have an unquenching thirst for collectors. You may want to start there first.

Ok Shadow,

I recommend you get these two books

Overstreet Grading Guide

The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide 34

Read and learn about grading books and prices, read the dealer sections and you can find out what they think is a hot selling point.

Hope this helps

Ok Shadow,

I recommend you get these two books

Overstreet Grading Guide

The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide 34

Read and learn about grading books and prices, read the dealer sections and you can find out what they think is a hot selling point.

Better yet, pick up 50 or more CGC books in high grade (9.6 - 9.8) and you'll get a good feeling for those grades.

All good suggestions, thanks so much. I have the grading guide, waiting on the price guide to get here. CGC books are a bit out of my price range right now, maybe I'll start spending more time on the grading forum smile.gif

Thanks again for the advice

Vince

I'm going to give you a little advice:

Simply by asking this question, you are setting yourself up for a world of pain. Buying raw, CGC'ing and then selling for a profit takes sooooo much skill, and more importantly, a reliable supply of HG books, that a greenhorn is just asking to get taken to the cleaners.

Stand back, take a good look in the mirror, and ask yourself if you really want to try getting on a "flipping ship" that sailed sometime in 1987.... Seriously.

I am just going to ask you one question shadow.

You have come onto the boards and have asked alot of questions about this sort of stuff.

Are you looking to be a flipper?

Being a flipper takes a bit of cash to begin with, you have to be able to buy books that have low bins etc.

I think that maybe you should get more experience in comics before you try doing anything like this.

You need to be a really good grader and you have to know which books will make you a profit if you buy them at the price.

Heed my advice.

Learn more before becoming a flipper.

Better yet......just buy what you like....and become a collector.

If you're only interest in comic books is financial gain, I find it difficult to offer any advice.

There is a fine line between a flipper and a speculator .....and I'm not overly fond of either.

The choice is this:

You can either buy the books you like......or buy the books that you think everyone else likes

Better yet......just buy what you like....and become a collector.

If you're only interest in comic books is financial gain, I find it difficult to offer any advice.

There is a fine line between a flipper and a speculator .....and I'm not overly fond of either.

The choice is this:

You can either buy the books you like......or buy the books that you think everyone else likes

I can only echo what others have already noted. Beware of going from collecting Spawn to expensive graded or even raw books. The risk is very high and the current market does not seem to favor buyers (see other posts - do research here). Like Beyonder said, try to find what you like. Then if it does not do well, you can still read it. There are a bunch of Trade Paperbacks that reprint the "old stuff" that you could start with.

Good luck.

Dan

As others have said, it's risky but if you are determined to go through with it do yourself a favor and learn how CGC grades. How CGC grades, this is important. It doesn't matter how you grade or how any of the haters on this board grade that are constantly whining about how CGC overgraded this or that and how CGC should grade the QP on a book. The ONLY way to learn how CGC grades is to submit books. Take notes, figure out what your grade is and then see what their grade is. Ask for the graders notes, compare your grades and adjust. Buying already slabbed books will not help much because the plastic can hide a lot of flaws and make others look worse. I'd suggest not doing this with expensive books at first, as JC said you will get taken to the cleaners if you start buying expensive books on ebay and you don't know if what you just got in the mail is a 9.2 or an 8.5.

The ONLY way to learn how CGC grades is to submit books.

Right again!!!!

More oftern than not, the grading forum here it too tough based on the scan. They seem to think the one small stress means the book can't be a 9.4 (NM) which is not true. That said, you have to grade the WHOLE BOOK. Make sure to look at the book at various angles. That's wear certain flaws that can't be seen (on scans) show up.

Buying books off of eBay raw and then getting them CGC'd is probably at best a DRAW, and more than likely a LOSING Hand.

Most sellers OVERGRADE their books. That is why CGC is in exsistence. makepoint.gif

The ONLY way to learn how CGC grades is to submit books.

Right again!!!!

More oftern than not, the grading forum here it too tough based on the scan. They seem to think the one small stress means the book can't be a 9.4 (NM) which is not true. That said, you have to grade the WHOLE BOOK. Make sure to look at the book at various angles. That's wear certain flaws that can't be seen (on scans) show up.

Buying books off of eBay raw and then getting them CGC'd is probably at best a DRAW, and more than likely a LOSING Hand.

Most sellers OVERGRADE their books. That is why CGC is in exsistence. makepoint.gif

not entirely true. When CGC was grading books during the old label period they were very strict in grading, which is how many of us learned to abide by their standards. As more books were graded, their standards became less stringent. So right now it's kind of confusing between two different standards, which may not be apparent all the time.

not entirely true. When CGC was grading books during the old label period they were very strict in grading, which is how many of us learned to abide by their standards. As more books were graded, their standards became less stringent. So right now it's kind of confusing between two different standards, which may not be apparent all the time.

I think you're oversimplifying. There was a period during the old label days when they were noticeably tougher than the rest of the time. I don't know what caused it. When the new label first started they seemed to be a bit looser but the last couple of subs I've gotten, they seem to have reverted to their tighter standards. Saying that all the old label books were graded tighter than all the new label ones is perpetuating an incorrect stereotype, which by definition all are I guess.

I think you're oversimplifying. There was a period during the old label days when they were noticeably tougher than the rest of the time. I don't know what caused it. When the new label first started they seemed to be a bit looser but the last couple of subs I've gotten, they seem to have reverted to their tighter standards. Saying that all the old label books were graded tighter than all the new label ones is perpetuating an incorrect stereotype, which by definition all are I guess.

I think they are a lot looser in garding now than before. I attribute this to being a new company and gaining experience in grading. I have seen many more questionable books with a new label than ones with an old label. Perhaps one of the factors in chaning the label. Just look at how long it took them to award a 10.0 grade, now it seems they are all over the place.

However I do not believe that just because it has an old label that it will automatically get a higher grade by resubmitting. I think there are some flaws they think deem less severe than they used to.

I definitely think they were really harsh at first, but relaxed a bit after that. Just like I think they were loose when the new label started but have now tightened up. Just my observations from a very limited number of books I've seen.

You will see over and over again........ LEARN YOUR STUFF. I flip stuff because I find it fun. I like buiying books at cons for $100 and selling them for $300. But I have (like others here) Bought for $100 and sold for $100. Learing CGC is the most important. Who cares what other members think and what dealers think. It only matters what CGC thinks. Collect what you like, flip what others like, but know your stuff. Try out some books. My first submission was 5 books. 3 = 9.8 1=9.6 and 1=7.5 (I missed something frown.gif ) If you are serious, read, learn, submit some moderns, what 8 months till you get them back and see how you do. Don't start buying HG Silver keys.

Jason

Are you looking to be a flipper?

I don't necessarily want to become a flipper, but earning a little extra cash from books I dont want/need would go a long way in buying ones I do. I've got much to learn, and perhaps I'll just start out selling lots of the books I don't want (aka most of my DC stuff) and hopefully recoup a little bit of cash to help pay for other books I do want. I'm not trying to "get rich quick" or even make thousands of dollars, although I know its possible to do, it's not likely, especially at this early stage. I just wanted to supplement my income with pure comic money smile.gif If I can make 30 bucks off of a flip, I could use that to buy more ASM, FF, or Atari Force (laugh now, but these books are pretty good smile.gif ) back issues, while getting rid of a book I have no interest in collecting.

Vince

I'm going to give you a little advice:

Simply by asking this question, you are setting yourself up for a world of pain. Buying raw, CGC'ing and then selling for a profit takes sooooo much skill, and more importantly, a reliable supply of HG books, that a greenhorn is just asking to get taken to the cleaners.

Stand back, take a good look in the mirror, and ask yourself if you really want to try getting on a "flipping ship" that sailed sometime in 1987.... Seriously.

Agreed... chances are if people are talking about a certain book, the ship has sailed. The successful flipper/dealers on this board will never reveal their trade secrets, but it's safe to say a great deal of time and effort must be spent on ebay looking for the underpriced gem with a BIN or finding a source of cheap raw books.

I will admit that flippers rub me the wrong way... that is other collectors that seek their "inventory" from the same marketplace I do. Nothing is more annoying than someone who publicly buys for X dollars and the next day tries to sell it to me for 2 or 3 X. 893frustrated.gif I guess I'd prefer someone who really wants the book for his own collection to get a deal than a flipper who adds ZERO value and only ends up pumping the price. 893censored-thumb.gif

I do not put flippers in the same category as dealers who establish connections to buy collections or through private deals...