• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stapling and Folding Question for pre 1960's Comics

9 posts in this topic

All the comics I own from the 1970's to today are folded in the middle with the staples on the center of the spine fold.

The vast majority of the pre 1960's comics I own are stapled on the back of the comic AFTER the spine fold.

My question is this.

Was the original form of stapling a comic after the fold (on the back side of the comic) "normal" for the early era of comic production? If so why did they change to edge of the spine stapling? Is one form of binding superior to the other?

All the comics I own from the 1970's to today are folded in the middle with the staples on the center of the spine fold.

The vast majority of the pre 1960's comics I own are stapled on the back of the comic AFTER the spine fold.

My question is this.

Was the original form of stapling a comic after the fold (on the back side of the comic) "normal" for the early era of comic production? If so why did they change to edge of the spine stapling? Is one form of binding superior to the other?

What publisher of comics do you collect?

If it was Marvels their staples were all over the place but I'd have to believe that it was unintentional. They were likely supposed to be close to the centre, they just used poor quality equipment.

DC's seemed to be much more accurately stapled.

That drives me nuts. I try to avoid books that have staples 1/4"+ off the center of the spine. Although I have a few from before I got real picky about that.

Marvel definitely had some issues with that happening.