• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question from your friendly neighborhood NewtSamson....

6 posts in this topic

Let's say you have a book that otherwise would be a highgrade but the front and back cover are totally detached from the book but still with the book, otherwsie the book including the detached cover are complete. Would it automatically become a poor because the cover is detached or would it get a qualified grade?

OS says: Cover detached = Good not Poor

Poor would be no cover.

However if the book was really NM or VF-NM and somehow the cover got detached without rip and tears that would lower the grade than a qualified grade would be in order. But that would be rare. A book that was 9.6, but was manufactured without staples would be a good example of a green label 9.6. But it's hard to imagine a normal book getting enough damage to knock the cover off but not lowering the apparent grade by a lot.

Aces, would it have gotten the old Green label, if they still gave it out?

They don't give out green labels anymore? confused.gif

I'm getting ready to submit some books and haven't done so in about 6 months.

Let's say you have a book that otherwise would be a highgrade but the front and back cover are totally detached from the book but still with the book, otherwsie the book including the detached cover are complete. Would it automatically become a poor because the cover is detached or would it get a qualified grade?

No, it is not an automatic poor. Case in point: I have nice copy of Batman #155 (1963 - 1st SA App of the Penguin) in otherwise FN 6.0 grade (perhaps a 5.5), with a completely detached cover. CGC graded it a 3.0 O/W (3 point deduction) Universal Blue Label. Now, it is an important book, but. . .

On the other hand, I have an absolutely perfect Marvel Spotlight #1 (Red Wolf / Neal Adams Western cover) that has a cover which is barely, and I mean barely detached at the top staple only (which, of course, WAS attached when it was sent in) with absolutely no cover damage at the staple. CGC graded it a Qualified Green Label 9.2 W!!!

Ouch! Double Ouch!!

So, have I confused you yet?

Lastly, I have a Batman #171 (1st SA App of the Riddler) that has a staple pull through on the bottom staple, with the usual associated light tearing. Easily a 7.5, this book was graded VG/FN 5.0 O/W Universal Blue Label by CGC, but get this: WITHOUT EVEN A GRADER'S NOTE ABOUT THE LS STAPLE PULL THROUGH!!!

Aces, would it have gotten the old Green label, if they still gave it out?

They don't give out green labels anymore? confused.gif

I'm getting ready to submit some books and haven't done so in about 6 months.

Aces, they still give them out, as several forum members have shown in other posts. I believe they have relaxed the qualification somewhat, and are giving out fewer, but they still give them out.