• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a difference a couple months makes on Thanos prices

150 posts in this topic

I had Captain Marvel 25, 26, & 28 listed on ebay 2 months ago and the auction didn't even get 1 bid at $5.

I relisted them last week after the Avengers showed the big T.

They just sold for $43.

I guess we should have all been scooping these up last year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-25-26-28-1st-Thanos-cover-2nd-appearance-iron-man-55-Bronze-/400296733341?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5d338b6a9d#ht_500wt_1313

Hell, couple of months? Just these past two weeks prices have doubled. I'm thankful I've got what I've got, because that's the end of the Thanos good deals.

But, no complaints - that means one of my favorite characters is becoming more and more popular.

You should look at asking prices for IM 55 :o

only slightly more shocking than the actual sales prices!

ebya sales this week:

CGC 9.6 = $1625, $1782, $2000 (and that was a BIN best offer)

CGC 9.4 double cover $2555

CGC 9.0 = $633, $755

CGC 9.2 = $875, $860

:o

I guess I'll keep my IM55 9.0 then. Geez I think I paid $200 for it last year.

So how come the astronomical price jump for Thanos?

I don't remember 1st Loki (JIM 85) getting a giant price jump, or the 1st Abomination, or 1st Hawkeye, or 1st Black Widow. They might have been bumped up slightly, but my God!!!! Why such a large jump for Thanos?

I had an Iron Man #55 for sale on the boards in late April, and barely a chirp. Then sold it on eBay a couple of days before the movie was released lol

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=78&Number=5623851&Searchpage=2&Main=255921&Words=KingOfRulers&topic=0&Search=true#Post5623851

ebya sales this week:

CGC 9.0 = $633, $755

CGC 9.2 = $875, $860

I actuall did a chart on this when my buddy asked me about it last night...I wasnt looking for this book at the moment (due to price and the hype surrounding his assumed Avengers 2 appearance)...

There will be some people left hold a very hefty bag in a year or two!

:insane:

I guess I'll keep my IM55 9.0 then. Geez I think I paid $200 for it last year.

So how come the astronomical price jump for Thanos?

I don't remember 1st Loki (JIM 85) getting a giant price jump, or the 1st Abomination, or 1st Hawkeye, or 1st Black Widow. They might have been bumped up slightly, but my God!!!! Why such a large jump for Thanos?

Could this be due to the numbers of these books out there? It was a heavly traded key prior to this ...no?

I think its harder to get your hands on that JIM 85 or 1st Hawkeye and Widow(ToS?)...

(shrug)

I think it's a combination of things. I agree that IM55 is easier to obtain than JIM 85 - but also Thanos is a villain that people really enjoy after his first few readings. I think people are going to/will get hooked on his character the more they read of him. The more they read, the more they want to complete his appearances and so forth.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that (money-wise) IM55 is going to be regarded in the same company as Hulk 181, ASM 129 and X-Men 94.

Semi-serious question:

I know it's a much more common book, but why is Logan's Run 6 neglected when it comes to Thanos?

I cannot even compare it to the Hulk 180 vs 181 thing, because neither IM 55 or LR 6 is a cover appearance. Is it the context of the Thanos backup in LR 6?

Thoughts?

"....Thanos is a villain that people really enjoy after his first few readings...."

And Loki isn't? Loki is such an important part of the Marvel movie universe right now.

I bought a few JIM 85s thinking they would really jump, but nothing.

And then Thanos smiles for the camera and prices have spiked more than any comic in the last decade.

I can say that Iron Man #55 was my single BEST-SELLING items for me on eBay (I had an eBay store starting in 2008). I've had a bunch of Iron Man #55s and was constantly selling them for $100-$200. It was a highly desired book even before the movie. The movie just sent prices sky high.

Semi-serious question:

I know it's a much more common book, but why is Logan's Run 6 neglected when it comes to Thanos?

I cannot even compare it to the Hulk 180 vs 181 thing, because neither IM 55 or LR 6 is a cover appearance. Is it the context of the Thanos backup in LR 6?

Thoughts?

Logan's Run #6 will not have a spike in price because I have 49 copies of it. I don't have that kind of luck. (shrug)

Semi-serious question:

Thoughts?

1. Logans Run is not a "in canon" book itself (as part of the Marvel U) so I think that hurts.

2. Thanos isnt on the cover or anything, and its just a short backup story (10 pages I think). So while it is Thanos's "first solo story" it lacks a lot of elements needed to gain the heat that IM #55 or even the Captain marvel issues have (in continuity, on covers, part of main story, etc)

ebya sales this week:

CGC 9.0 = $633, $755

CGC 9.2 = $875, $860

WOW! prices sure have risen but I bet they fall back down a bit after all the hype dies down. I think I'll just keep my 9.4 white well centered copy.

ebya sales this week:

CGC 9.0 = $633, $755

CGC 9.2 = $875, $860

I had the 9.6 sale at $2k. The book sat all weekend at C2C2 a month ago at $900 without even a single offer.