• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade this Strange Tales 113

55 posts in this topic

Thanks for the heads up. I am getting ready to call them anyway because I just got back two books that I had recased and they came back with different grades. One of which was a DF CGC 9.9 FF 500 Directors Cut (w/COA). It originally was missing the top label so they offered to recase it for me. Well not only did they recase it for me they sent it back a 9.8 insted of the 9.9 that it was sent to them as. How about them apples? sign-rantpost.gif

Certain pedigree books will get favorable treatment (IMO). But that's usually for GA and maybe early Silver-Age. And the real reason, I believe, is that most pedigrees have nicer colors and gloss than non-pedigrees. The "freshness" of the book in itself is worth a notch or two up in grading.

Lastly, I don't believe the a Mile High II would get anymore favorable treatment than a non-pedigree book. sorry.gif

I totally agree thumbsup2.gif

Stark, make sure that when you send in the MH2 book, you include a copy of the certificate if you got one, and a copy of your receipt if you have one. CGC asks that you provide some kind of documentation that you bought the book as a pedigree. They like to know the source. If you have any questions, call them up beforehand.

Red

CGC won't put "Mile High 2" on the slab anymore. They only did that for one pallet of books that Chuck submitted. They will not do it if you send in a book with a certificate. Steve confirmed this at WonderCon.

Stark, make sure that when you send in the MH2 book, you include a copy of the certificate if you got one, and a copy of your receipt if you have one. CGC asks that you provide some kind of documentation that you bought the book as a pedigree. They like to know the source. If you have any questions, call them up beforehand.

Red

CGC won't put "Mile High 2" on the slab anymore. They only did that for one pallet of books that Chuck submitted. They will not do it if you send in a book with a certificate. Steve confirmed this at WonderCon.

That makes absolutely no sense. CGC bends over backwards for one of the biggest scumbag dealers alive, but won't put it on the label for the regular Joe?

Everyone who has a slabbed book from that [!@#%^&^] collection should get their books reholdered for free w/ the Mile High 2 designation. What else will they do for large customers? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Red

That makes absolutely no sense. CGC bends over backwards for one of the biggest scumbag dealers alive, but won't put it on the label for the regular Joe?

Everyone who has a slabbed book from that [!@#%^&^] collection should get their books reholdered for free w/ the Mile High 2 designation. What else will they do for large customers? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That assumes that I'd want the designation -- which I wouldn't. All the "Mile High 2" designation does is signal to the world that the book is a warehouse find, and thus, probably plentiful in high grade. No thanks.

I asked Steve about this a few weeks ago, here was his reply:

"The only MH2's that were allowed on the CGC label came directly from Chuck. He found a palette of MH2's that were never sold and Mark Haspel went to Colorado to pick them up. We do not recognize any other MH2's because they are common and not at all identifiable."

I'd like to think that CGC would file the labeling of the MileHigh2 collection in the drawer labeled, "Mistakes". confused-smiley-013.gif

Credibility is slowly earned and quickly spent. They blew a wad of it on this one.

I asked Steve about this a few weeks ago, here was his reply:

"The only MH2's that were allowed on the CGC label came directly from Chuck. He found a palette of MH2's that were never sold and Mark Haspel went to Colorado to pick them up. We do not recognize any other MH2's because they are common and not at all identifiable."

Were they not sold with certificates by Chuck? How is Chucks "newly found" palette more identifiable than the books sold w/ a certificate? Is this palette filled with less common books? I guess this was such an important find that CGC had to go to Colorado on a diplomatic mission to appease Chuck the Great. The whole thing sounds like horse [!@#%^&^] to me.

I believe the problem lies in that Chuck didn't distinguish any of his previous MH2 books from the rest of his stock. It was all mixed together, and they'd just pull a high grade copy issue a certificate saying it's from the MH2 and sell it. Whether that book was actually from MH2 find or Chuck's previous inventory was unknown.

Brian

Much like the Boston Collection, no? Apparently not all the books with those certificates are from that collection, from what I have heard. Does CGC question books sent in with that certificate I wonder?

Trust me, those certificates would be a snap to replicate.