• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Daredevil 7

15 posts in this topic

Hey there - bought a bunch of early avengers and DD from a local guy today. I'll be selling many of the books either here or ebay. Thought I'd ask for some grades here. There are a bunch of books so hopefully I'm not violating the rules by using this thread for a bunch of books!

DD7fc.jpg

DD7bc.jpg

I'd take any offers people wanted to give me too - before any sales thread!! First come first served.

Basically, the books are mostly in the 7.0-9.0 range (in my opinion) and include

Daredevil 3-10

Avengers 10-36

Xmen94

Star Wars 1

Hulk 182

:)

can you share how you came up with that grade, please?

Given what I can see,as it is a smallish scan of the book.Porky is not too far off in his assessment,probably closer to 6.5.In that 6ish grade range. (thumbs u

I'm more in line with 6.0 on this. Quite a bit of damage on the top edge and the outside corner. I can't tell if thats a tear or a tape pull on the green in the logo box either.

I'm more in line with 6.0 on this. Quite a bit of damage on the top edge and the outside corner. Ican't tell if thats a tear or a tape pull on the green in the logo box either.
(thumbs u I love it when someone comes on here and wants our honest opinion,only to be offended by the opinion we give. :eyeroll:

I sense that you might be a bit disappointed in the assessments that the book is receiving. These mid-range books can be difficult to grade as what might look initially to be a strong book can be brought down in grade by the simple addition of small defects.

I hope you won't be offended if I take your earlier question as to what we see as problems very seriously and take some time to offer a considered opinion.

The scans are small and difficult to decipher but I'll list everything I think I see.

Front Cover

Tear/fold top of logo box

Damage across top cover overhang

Crease TRC/rounded edge

Well over a dozen spine creases/might be a longitudinal crease between logo box and DD left hand

Long cover indentation above entire title

Slight BLC abrasion

Rounded BRC

I see a number of horizontal lines that could be indentations, creases or simply the artifacts of scanning?

Crease/smudging over MMMS box

Back Cover

Harder to read due to the white

multiple spine stresses

staple stress both top and bottom/tear at top staple

abraided top right corner

These mid grade books also need to be tilted to the light to see light creases and a close look at the staples for rust. :shy:

Would also need to know about any interior defects: tears; stains; staples.

I am also a bit old fashion in that I would count paper quality in the grade and would smell the newsprint to test for mildew. :P

If I was grading this for my own collection, I would not go higher than a 6.0 given no hidden defects. Perhaps the perfect book for a reader, it presents very nicely and one would not be afraid of an additional spine stress or two decreasing the grade. (thumbs u

Though once again the scans are small and difficult to decipher.

For the sake of comparison, this copy below was sold to me by Roy of Vintage Comics as a 6.5. I thought it a very fair grading. This book has no hidden defects, just a lot of general wear around the edges and on the spine on the front ... with a couple of stains and moderate period distributor's ink and stress on the back.

DD7FApr65.jpg

DD7RApr65.jpg

I hope that this helps (only my opinion, keep in mind) and is not viewed as any sort of browbeating as that is not my intent. Good luck with your sales.

I'm never offended by the grades here! On the contrary, I appreciate them very much!!

if you look back to my post, all i said was "can you share how you came up with that grade, please?" I really meant just that!!

(Oakman, i think you're just a wee bit defensive on my comment!)

Anyways, it's great input. I do personally assign a higher value to the book, but then again, you're working with scans and I'm working with the book (and damn, i really need to try to find a better scanner! I bought the only one that was available at the store i went to that would fit slabs)

I look at Roy's 6.5 slab and think mine is probably going to slab at the 7.5 (maybe 7.0) area.....but heck, we could all be wrong, book could slab a 9.2....OR A 4.0! lol

Definitely appreciate the board feedback and reiterate never any hard feelings. Inquiring minds always just want to know!

I may just go ahead and get this one slabbed - i just hate doing it on books under $1000 in value - it's my OCD! :insane:

I bet this book presents better in hand than the scan, I know it always does with my books.

I'm in the 7.0/7.5 range. The front cover looks like it has a chance at 8.0 but the problems on the Back cover will probably bring it down. Nice book !