• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #12 Question

21 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I recently acquired a small collection of early Silver Age Marvel Comics. I plan on selling them, however I am not sure whether or not to send several of the books to CGC. Any thoughts on whether or not this book is worth having graded would be appreciated. The main defect is obvious. Otherwise the book is in great shape.

Thanks.

web page

Does that bite mark on the bottom LH corner qualify as "restoration". The guy could have had gum in his mouth when he did leaving a glue like residue behind. stooges.gif Do you think its worth the time and money to get this slabbed given its condition? Its probably a 5.0, maybe a 4.0 at best when I look at it closer. You could probably get a complete copy already slabbed at a grade 5.0 for under $400 on EBay so unless you got it for a song I wouldn't bother submitting it to CGC. That missing piece will scare people away if you are expecting a decent return.

What else do you have for sale?

Its probably a 5.0, maybe a 4.0 at best when I look at it closer.

More in the Good range than the Very Good. The chunk missing is too big for VG.

Yep. Plus the big tear in the upper right edge of the front cover, plus the other damage. 2.0-ish. No need to slab it. You could sell it with a big scan. Slabbing wouldn't help the resale value, and if there's a little color touch on the book (not saying there is -- just speculating about what might happen if there were some), it probably wouldn't affect the resale price much anyway, given the apparent condition of the book.

Hi folks. I recently acquired a small collection of early Silver Age Marvel Comics. I plan on selling them, however I am not sure whether or not to send several of the books to CGC. Any thoughts on whether or not this book is worth having graded would be appreciated. The main defect is obvious. Otherwise the book is in great shape.

Thanks.

web page

Did you get an FF 11 too?

What grade (same as above minus the chip out I hope 893crossfingers-thumb.gif )?

flowerred.gif

Its probably a 5.0, maybe a 4.0 at best when I look at it closer.

More in the Good range than the Very Good. The chunk missing is too big for VG.

Yep. Plus the big tear in the upper right edge of the front cover, plus the other damage. 2.0-ish. No need to slab it. You could sell it with a big scan. Slabbing wouldn't help the resale value, and if there's a little color touch on the book (not saying there is -- just speculating about what might happen if there were some), it probably wouldn't affect the resale price much anyway, given the apparent condition of the book.

what he said, about a 2.0. (there's also that big color breaking crease across the things trunks). and i think pimpy may have been alluding to the fact that the pages were protruding from the cover quite a bit 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

but, hey it;s an FF#12 - my copy ain't a whole lot better......... frown.gif

and i think pimpy may have been alluding to the fact that the pages were protruding from the cover quite a bit 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you're alluding to a possible trim, it looks perfectly okay to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Plus, why in heaven would someone trim this comic given all it's other flaws? It just doesn't make sense. It seems as though whenever someone post an image of a comic with a short cover, it's automatically a trim suspect... confused-smiley-013.gif

and i think pimpy may have been alluding to the fact that the pages were protruding from the cover quite a bit 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you're alluding to a possible trim, it looks perfectly okay to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Plus, why in heaven would someone trim this comic given all it's other flaws? It just doesn't make sense. It seems as though whenever someone post an image of a comic with a short cover, it's automatically a trim suspect... confused-smiley-013.gif

sheesh - i said i THINK pimpy MAY HAVE been alluding to..........i know you can't tell from a scan, but it's not just the fact that there seems to be too little cover, it also has some strange waviness to it as well. that book is over 40 years old and it may have been this screwed up for most of that time. an amateur looking to spruce it up could have taken a snip here and a snip there 35 years ago, before all the talk about resto really got off the ground, despite it's relatively low grade condition.

but, i don't maintain that i know what's up with that right edge confused.gif

please remove or make your sig line smaller BB, i'm tired of constantly scrolling down when ever your post. 893whatthe.giftongue.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

no one in their right mind could be disturbed by having to scroll past that beauty thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the info everyone. It is appreciated. I paid 60 dollars for it, so slabbing is probably a worthwhile proposition even if only to show there is no restoration (there isn't). The book isn't trimmed either. Just printed that way.

There were 18 books in the collection including Spider-Man 2, 3, 9, JIM 83, TOS 40, 42, X-Men 2, 3 and FF 9, 13, 15, 24. They were all original owner books. I plan on sendig some to CGC and just listing the other's on ebay un-slabbed.

Burnt,

Leave that picture there. I never get tired of looking at that. cloud9.gif

I agree, I often don't bother to read what you post, I just want to gaze at her. Mmmm... cloud9.gif

Golden,

Sorry but I think the general consensus here was don't bother slabbing it? If that thing comes back as 1.5 you might be able to get $100 for it so that would reduce your profits down to pennies. That is a reader and people are not going to want to pay for the added cost that you incurred for getting this thing slabbed. Seriously, save your money for a different issue that is in much more marketable condition.

Golden,

Sorry but I think the general consensus here was don't bother slabbing it? If that thing comes back as 1.5 you might be able to get $100 for it so that would reduce your profits down to pennies. That is a reader and people are not going to want to pay for the added cost that you incurred for getting this thing slabbed. Seriously, save your money for a different issue that is in much more marketable condition.

Good point. I think I will just throw it on ebay and see where it goes.

Thanks.