• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Omnibus and Absolutes question

117 posts in this topic

Yeah, why would you not have a second volume of Avengers but have Evolutionary War???

I do have Evolutionary War though I'm ashamed to admit :blush: but like I said, I got a crazy good deal for getting that and Atlantis Attacks. Still not an excuse though really lol

Yeah, why would you not have a second volume of Avengers but have Evolutionary War???

I do have Evolutionary War though I'm ashamed to admit :blush: but like I said, I got a crazy good deal for getting that and Atlantis Attacks. Still not an excuse though really lol

I think a lot of the Omnibus choices have to do with what comics are already "production ready" and require very little prep to convert to an omnibus... Its like the trade department says What event in the last 10-15 years has run about 20-25 issues? Do we have colored scans? Alright, thats our next omnibus!

Older stuff, even from the 80s requires scanning, retouching, and in some cases (like the Thor Omnibus) full recoloring... lots of investment in a book with a small print run...

Interesting. Why did the Thor omnibus need full recoloring if you know?

as you know the old coloring was based on the type of paper it would be produced on, so the colorists had to adjust the way it was colors based on the way it would take to the page...

fast forward to omnibus/slick paper times and those scanned color proofs are largely overblown and have to be toned down and softened since they pop off the page more than they used to on old newsprint stock.

I think further for the thor omnibus, Simonson was a stickler for how the reproduction was done. I remember hearing an interview with him talking about his giving feedback to marvel about how the omni needed to be produced...

All these things have to be re-colored, don't they? I think they normally try to match what the original colorist did, but for the Thor book they gave it modern coloring.

the modern ones no (Atlantis attacks for example).

or they use the recoloring that was done when the Masterworks were produced (most pre-date omnibus releases).

All this Omnibus talk made me break down and finally buy the Amazing Fantasy Omnibus today :banana:

Other than AF15, I've never read any of the other issues so I psyched to bust it out to ight and read it after the kids go to bed!

All this Omnibus talk made me break down and finally buy the Amazing Fantasy Omnibus today :banana:

Other than AF15, I've never read any of the other issues so I psyched to bust it out to ight and read it after the kids go to bed!

REALLY? That's shocking.

You might decide to change your focus after doing some reading. Your ASM run is calling your name.

Early ASMs are among the best in my opinion.

Enjoy!

REALLY? That's shocking.

You might decide to change your focus after doing some reading. Your ASM run is calling your name.

Enjoy!

(thumbs u

Omnibus certainly do get me into trouble I often look at them and wonder why I have spent so much on them when I could have bought a key instead.

As of now I own:

Fantastic Four Volume 1 & 2

Daredevil Frank Miller

Daredevil Frank Miller Elektra

Daredevil Frank Miller Compendium

The X-Men Volume 1

The Uncanny X-Men Volume 1

Inferno and the X-Overs

Iron Man Volume 1 and 2

Avengers Volume 1

The Incredible Hulk Volume 1

I am looking for

Thor Volume 1

Silver Surfer Volume 1

ASM Volume 1 and 2

Captain America Volume 1

if anybody has those and wants to work something out feel free to send me a PM.

I dont mind doing a swap either as long as the resale prices are similar.

I think that extensive remastering would have been done on the Simonson Thor Omnibus because part of the run was published during the period when the Flexographic printing technique was used, and the books had horrible, garish colouring.

REALLY? That's shocking.

Enjoy!

I've read ASM from like 1-330, the AF's I've never read except for 15 (thumbs u

That's a fun book.  Hope you enjoy it.  Patchy, like all the monster / SF titles, but there's some great stuff there. (thumbs u

REALLY? That's shocking.

Enjoy!

He bought the 15 issue Amazing Fantasy/Amazing Adventures Omnibus.

Aside from the short origin story in AF 15, there's no other Spidey in there. :gossip:

I think that extensive remastering would have been done on the Simonson Thor Omnibus because part of the run was published during the period when the Flexographic printing technique was used, and the books had horrible, garish colouring.

I read that the colorist on the Omnibus was looking for the Thor Simonson gig if it ever came up, so it may be just a case of someone wanting to do it and the ball gets rolling... tried googling a bit but couldn't find specific information.

REALLY? That's shocking.

Enjoy!

I've read ASM from like 1-330, the AF's I've never read except for 15 (thumbs u

AHHH! My bad Jason. I thought for sure you would have read ASM.

I forgot they made an AFs Omni. Cool, i've never read those either. lol

Enjoy.