• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tales of Suspense 39

39 posts in this topic

Well I have never had anything graded, really not interested in it because of the time and cost. I would rather turn the book quick. I don't post here much anymore but I own a store and time is limited to be on these boards. I had someone come by and ask me to come look at a bunch of books yesterday (including a ton of nudie mags). I went on the promise of lots of comics, but alas it was mostly nudie books.

I know that 50's era mens magazines can be good so I was told they were there too and there were a lot of them. I went and they told me the price they wanted which I still thought was cheap but they wanted to get rid of everything, actually going to throw it all out.

Most of the comics were and and maybe only 50-70 books in a grocery bag at most so I never really looked at them in much detail. They all will go in my .25 boxes except 4 that were in ok shape for the title. This was one of them. It was a bonus so to speak.

Yeah, moonlite! :baiting:

lol

I'm waiting for him to post back that he really got that for 25 cents yesterday! If thats true, that is freaking amazing! How the hell could that book be sitting in a quarter box?!?

Actually, i guess it could have been a garage sale but either one, thats an incredible find (worship)

$.25 box? (shrug)

Well I have never had anything graded, really not interested in it because of the time and cost. I would rather turn the book quick. I don't post here much anymore but I own a store and time is limited to be on these boards. I had someone come by and ask me to come look at a bunch of books yesterday (including a ton of nudie mags). I went on the promise of lots of comics, but alas it was mostly nudie books.

I know that 50's era mens magazines can be good so I was told they were there too and there were a lot of them. I went and they told me the price they wanted which I still thought was cheap but they wanted to get rid of everything, actually going to throw it all out.

Most of the comics were and and maybe only 50-70 books in a grocery bag at most so I never really looked at them in much detail. They all will go in my .25 boxes except 4 that were in ok shape for the title. This was one of them. It was a bonus so to speak.

Ewww! it came in a collection with a bunch of nudie mags! Hopefully, that didnt have anything to do with the TOS's "staining"! :o:sick:

Stored in a garage, no man stains to speak of.

That's good to know! lol

Hell for 25 cents, I'd even take a man stained TOS39! hm

HAHAHAHA! Agreed!

I think I would pass. :eek:

I'm going to say 2.0-2.5, this group is full of very strict grades (all I can say is I'm glad Columbia and Oakman don't work for CGC! :baiting:)

Anyways, i see a mostly worn spine, minimal pieces missing, water damage on the back and still attached at staple. If the spine isn't split, my vote is 2.5

So, if you're interested in selling the book, i'm probably the best customer! :applause::luhv:

I'm glad Columbia and Oakman don't work for CGC! :baiting:)

I know we're pretty good at it aren't we,and we give you an accurate assessment of condition.CGC would be so lucky as to have us. :baiting:

Very hard to just grade covers. This is a very important book and a minor grade adjustment changes the value even in a lower grade. This book can't be a 4.0 because of the major water damage and minor pieces out BUT it could be over a 2.0 depending on the severity of other defects. When a comic is in a lower grade, certain multiple defects are acceptable. Can you photo the inside covers/splash pages and the centrefold? Any significant chunks or marks inside? Any hidden defects. Not to be too long winded, but this will help. Best of luck with this one guy!

1.5-1.8 max. I really don't see this getting a 2.0

+1

I can't see this book going over 1.8 with the listed and obvious defects. To me just the combintation of the large stain, pieces missing and the popped staple knock it out of any chance at a 2.0

I am not going to get the book slabbed. I am beginning to think that the back cover is NOT water damage but some type of heat (not fire) based on a look at the inside cover. I have produced some higher quality scans of the inside of the back cover and back page to show it does not go through as well as some higher scans of cover and back cover, going to try and link them here in a little bit.

I'm going to say 2.0-2.5, this group is full of very strict grades (all I can say is I'm glad Columbia and Oakman don't work for CGC! :baiting:)

Anyways, i see a mostly worn spine, minimal pieces missing, water damage on the back and still attached at staple. If the spine isn't split, my vote is 2.5

So, if you're interested in selling the book, i'm probably the best customer! :applause::luhv:

I consider myself to be a pretty strict grader but I completely agree with you... the grades on this book are too strict. I would call this a solid 2.0 but I could see CGC giving this a 2.5 since the grading standards at CGC are a little looser than my grading.

At this grade level the particulars are more important than the number assigned. The page quality looks pretty decent, the cover while detached at the top staple doesn't appear to be in danger of splitting in two. The back cover is ugly but outside the missing triangle the front looks VG or so. Technically CGC might not give it anymore than 1.8, but I wouldn't be surprised at a 2.0. 1.5 seems a tad harsh. But I could see it selling for more than some slabbed 2.0s I've seen, where the defects are more evident on the front cover. The kind of book you slip in mylar with a backing board and forget about the back cover.