• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't be the only one whose....

37 posts in this topic

...given up buying moderns?

I let my LCS know as of end of July...no more moderns. I think I have a good reason and price doesn't enter into it really. I just bought about 1500 moderns from the widow I purchased the Silver/Bronze Age collection from 4 years ago.

That together with past purchases has pretty much given me a mountain of stuff to read and it was tough before those moderns to keep up...now it's pretty much impossible.

I've also decided to re-read all the modern stuff I bought (since 1980) once I finish with the Silver and Bronze Age runs. That gives me about 17,000 comics to read...well I figure maybe 16,000 left, as I've already read about 1000 or so in the last 3-4 years.)

The 200 odd Heavy Metal books alone could keep me occupied for a year.

So I thought.....for whatever reason....anybody else not buying new comics anymore?

I've been getting a bit more enjoyment out of messing around with my old books, so I've tried to shift funds a bit. Cutting titles slowly. I'll never be able to make the clean break.

No way man! I'm still hooked just like when I was a kid, there's still good stuff out there. Just picked up the last ish of Bone frown.gif, Identity Crisis, Swamp Thing, Silent Hill, The Walking Dead, Ultimate Fantastic 4, Conan...

Not great for investments but great reads nonetheless!

So I thought.....for whatever reason....anybody else not buying new comics anymore?

I'm buying more than I did last year. And with Warren Ellis whoring himself out to the Marvel Universe that number will be growing still.

No way man! I'm still hooked just like when I was a kid, there's still good stuff out there. Just picked up the last ish of Bone frown.gif, Identity Crisis, Swamp Thing, Silent Hill, The Walking Dead, Ultimate Fantastic 4, Conan...

Not great for investments but great reads nontheless!

I love to hear that. That is what makes this a fun hobby. thumbsup2.gif

Part of me would actually like to buy more moderns, but there just isn't much out there that interests me at the moment.

I think my LCS is getting tired of me buying one - maybe two - books a month since I got called for "reading" last week's Spectacular Spider-Man too long (actually was looking at the art since I'd wanted to read a Jenkins book for a while but could not ever stand the artist he was paired with). Brain cells moved a bit too slowly in calculating how much I wanted to read Jenkins vs. what the art was like vs. whether I could get a Bronze book for the price of the 2-part story, etc.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I pick and choose specific artists and writers. I'm definitely not as much of a completist as I used to be, but there are a lot of good quality stuff out there. Bendis's work is always an enjoyable read. Alan Davis's art was why I started picking up Uncanny again. And, I will just as easily drop the book once Davis is off. Warren Ellis and John Cassaday's Planetary has been nothing short of amazing and now that I've caught up reading this series, I will have to wait and wait and wait for the next issue. I don't really speculate on books. If I ever purchase multiple copies, it's only because I personally like the work and therefore, maybe one day, I can get my extra copy autographed.

I don't even look at new comics. I can pick them up way cheaper a few months from now,and am so hopelessly behind on them,a few months or even years no longer matters.

Yesterday I read Captain Marvel 1-12 in just under an hour and a half. The cover price of $36 is way too much for an hour and a halfs entertainment.On the way back I read eight issues of Starlins "Breed" in less than one hour.

For some reason ,it takes longer to read a Silver or Bronze book,even though they have more ad pages.

When I do read moderns,I mostly enjoy them,but for the most part,they are not worth the cover price.I've got a stack of a couple of hundred books to read as we speak.

I try to split between reading recent series and some older arcs.

Silent Hill.....based on the game? Any good? Guys?

signed - Mr. I-Don't-Buy-Any-New-Comics-Unless-Alan-Moore-Wrote-Them Redhook

Dropped my pull list months ago.

Do occasionnally go to get some but the last ones i bought were Conan 1-4.

Would love to read some UFF and the horror comics that are coming out now.

I'm slowly considering stopping buying moderns.

I have a lot more fun reading the older books then I do the new stuff.

Also if I stopped buying Moderns...I'd perhaps be able to start affording higher graded stuff. You've all seen my low to mid grade comics from the scans I post every once and awhile. I love comics in that grade and I'll still prolly buy em as readers copies, but high grade comics make a body good. thumbsup2.gif

Yes, it's based on the game and it's a great read (like much of the IDW horror stuff.)

Yes, it's based on the game and it's a great read (like much of the IDW horror stuff.)

I'm going to have to track that down. How many issues so far? I could look it up, but it's more fun to ask you!

That game made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! WOW!

I'm going to have to track that down. How many issues so far? I could look it up, but it's more fun to ask you!

That game made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! WOW!

Issue #4 came out recently.

Beyond their horror stuff, which I eat up, IDW is also doing a Metal Gear book thumbsup2.gif

...given up buying moderns?

I stopped completely about 8 months ago. Marvel has once again gone over to the dark side of speculator pandering. frown.gif I just can't take all the constant reboots. 893frustrated.gif