• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I can't be the only one whose....

37 posts in this topic

No way man! I'm still hooked just like when I was a kid, there's still good stuff out there. Just picked up the last ish of Bone frown.gif, Identity Crisis, Swamp Thing, Silent Hill, The Walking Dead, Ultimate Fantastic 4, Conan...

Not great for investments but great reads nonetheless!

I'm w/ Jayman. I'd give up collecting back issues (which I buy for nostalgic purposes) before I gave up buying the modern books (which I buy for reading).

At the risk of [!@#%^&^] some people off, you can't compare the the goofy, cheesy stuff from 30-40 yrs ago to the stuff that's put out today. Today's stuff is so much better (see Vertigo Imprint). Only old stuff that holds up are the EC Horror books (too bad they're so damn expensive. Thank god for the reprints! cloud9.gif).

At the risk of [!@#%^&^] some people off, you can't compare the the goofy, cheesy stuff from 30-40 yrs ago to the stuff that's put out today. Today's stuff is so much better (see Vertigo Imprint). Only old stuff that holds up are the EC Horror books (too bad they're so damn expensive.

But what about the stuff from 15-25 years ago. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But what about the stuff from 15-25 years ago.

Sandman crushes anything from the th SA/BA.

So does Miracleman, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Saga of the Swamp Thing.

Lots of drek in that timeframe as well. But, the top stuff is the best that the medium has to offer, IMO.

I don't buy any moderns from my LCS, but I do get them by other means. When I got back into collecting last year, I knew I couldn't justify the cost (to myself). I can get many more reader copies from past ages for the same amount of money, and I've been able to trade for lots of modern books and get them half-cover price at used bookstores a few months after they're released. Too many ways to get them much cheaper.

I don't buy any moderns from my LCS, but I do get them by other means. When I got back into collecting last year, I knew I couldn't justify the cost (to myself). I can get many more reader copies from past ages for the same amount of money, and I've been able to trade for lots of modern books and get them half-cover price at used bookstores a few months after they're released. Too many ways to get them much cheaper.

I wish I could do that, but I've really begun to enjoy Wednesdays.

Hey, enjoy them, by all means! smile.gif What I posted is what works for me. To each his own. I just don't want to spend the money, even with the LCS's discount. I'm getting married in November, so things are pretty tight financially, so the only books I get are either in cheap mixed lots on ebay, bargain bins, through trading, or at used bookstores. And I'm only looking for reader copies, so that works for me.

Hey, enjoy them, by all means! smile.gif What I posted is what works for me. To each his own. I just don't want to spend the money, even with the LCS's discount. I'm getting married in November, so things are pretty tight financially, so the only books I get are either in cheap mixed lots on ebay, bargain bins, through trading, or at used bookstores. And I'm only looking for reader copies, so that works for me.

No need to defend yourself. I completely understand and on some level really do wish I could bargain hunt this stuff. Thing is, if I did that though I would be missing out on the little joy that I get from browsing the racks every week so I'm trapped with the weekly dose. insane.gif

No way man! I'm still hooked just like when I was a kid, there's still good stuff out there. Just picked up the last ish of Bone frown.gif, Identity Crisis, Swamp Thing, Silent Hill, The Walking Dead, Ultimate Fantastic 4, Conan...

Silent Hill.....based on the game? Any good? Guys?

Yes, it's based on the game and it's a great read (like much of the IDW horror stuff.)

I'm going to have to track that down. How many issues so far? I could look it up, but it's more fun to ask you!

That game made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! WOW!

Issue #4 came out recently.

Beyond their horror stuff, which I eat up, IDW is also doing a Metal Gear book thumbsup2.gif

I just looked at the Diamond Ship list, Silent Hill #5 comes out tomorrow.

At the risk of [!@#%^&^] some people off, you can't compare the the goofy, cheesy stuff from 30-40 yrs ago to the stuff that's put out today. Today's stuff is so much better (see Vertigo Imprint). Only old stuff that holds up are the EC Horror books (too bad they're so damn expensive.

What about my beloved Filthy Assistants? How about Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy? Jakita Wagner, Elijah Snow, a Yukio Mishima analog and the corpse of Godzilla on Monster Isle? Maybe it's not what you guys are reading today, but there's stuff on the shelves now that simply doesn't have a counterpart in the Bronze Age. Not that I'm even conceding the superhero stuff was somehow light years better back then. I'd be STUNNED if there were as many good Superhero titles on the shelves at one time as there are now. Maybe with memory compression mashing Starlin's Warlock and Captain Marvel onto shelves the same time as Byrne's X-Men and Adams on Green Lantern...

The 80s are a different story, but I still think there's a much higher percentage of good comics on the shelves these days. In the late 80s I worked at a shop and could read whatever I liked for free. I read more now. 893whatthe.gif

What about my beloved Filthy Assistants? How about Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy? Jakita Wagner, Elijah Snow, a Yukio Mishima analog and the corpse of Godzilla on Monster Isle? Maybe it's not what you guys are reading today, but there's stuff on the shelves now that simply doesn't have a counterpart in the Bronze Age.

So true. cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

i try to read a lot of the new stuff but i do not have a lcs around here so im stuck with the book store at the mall.they dont even sell any of the ultimate books there.i have been reading some of the twisted tales from pacific that came out in the early 80s by bruce jones and i love that #$%@!!! i wish they would come out with a second series of that nowdays.

I've switched to buying trades as of a little more than a year ago. I miss going to my LCS on Wednesdays, but I got tired of trying out a new series, only to be disappointed after a few issues and giving up on it. I also find story arcs more fun when I can read them all at once, rather than spread out for 4-12 months.

I certainly agree that there's A LOT of great stuff out there these days. I've said it before, but I feel lucky that comics seem to have grown up with my generation.

Silent Hill.....based on the game? Any good? Guys?

Yes, it's based on the game and it's a great read (like much of the IDW horror stuff.)

I'm going to have to track that down. How many issues so far? I could look it up, but it's more fun to ask you!

That game made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! WOW!

Issue #4 came out recently.

Beyond their horror stuff, which I eat up, IDW is also doing a Metal Gear book thumbsup2.gif

Silent Hill is a great read! And since I'm not much of a gamer anymore I only recognized the title from one of my nephew's video games. He explained the premise of the story and it sounded like the comic would be right up my alley. "Remains" by IDW also looks good with the first issue already out.

I'm w/ Jayman. I'd give up collecting back issues (which I buy for nostalgic purposes) before I gave up buying the modern books (which I buy for reading).

At the risk of [!@#%^&^] some people off, you can't compare the the goofy, cheesy stuff from 30-40 yrs ago to the stuff that's put out today. Today's stuff is so much better (see Vertigo Imprint). Only old stuff that holds up are the EC Horror books (too bad they're so damn expensive. Thank god for the reprints! cloud9.gif).

I still collect/read from both ends buying new issues and sporatically grab some Bronze to fill in holes or upgrade. Regarding the moderns though, not every week is a winner. Some weeks I'll walk out of my LCS with only 2 books and sometimes nothing! But the last couple of weeks have been great!

PS: I still like a good dose of goof and cheese from the classics!

Silent Hill is a great read! And since I'm not much of a gamer anymore I only recognized the title from one of my nephew's video games. He explained the premise of the story and it sounded like the comic would be right up my alley. "Remains" by IDW also looks good with the first issue already out.

Yeah, I enjoyed Remains #1, too. I also like Aleister Arcane and, of course, all the 30 Days stuff. The lesson here? IDW is cool.

You can try a mail order service.

i try to read a lot of the new stuff but i do not have a lcs around here so im stuck with the book store at the mall.they dont even sell any of the ultimate books there.i have been reading some of the twisted tales from pacific that came out in the early 80s by bruce jones and i love that #$%@!!! i wish they would come out with a second series of that nowdays.

To me, one of the great pleasures of this hobby is the weekly/biweekly trips to the comics store for new books. But I am very selective now as to what I buy new because there's so much stuff out there you can get from bargain bins six months later. It also makes conventions more fun -- I buy two or three big books and spend a few hours trolling through 50 cent and dollar boxes for cool stuff.