• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about shipping to the UK

19 posts in this topic

I sold a book to a customer int he UK for $103. He contacted me this morning and said he received a customs charge payment for $32.78 "because I have underpaid". I know I paid the correct amount for this package and have never had a problem shipping other packages to the UK or anywhere else.

I tried researching VAT/Customs tax but was unsure of the information I was reading. Does anyone know if this is some sort of tax for imported goods? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Andy

I sold a book to a customer int he UK for $103. He contacted me this morning and said he received a customs charge payment for $32.78 "because I have underpaid". I know I paid the correct amount for this package and have never had a problem shipping other packages to the UK or anywhere else.

I tried researching VAT/Customs tax but was unsure of the information I was reading. Does anyone know if this is some sort of tax for imported goods? Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Andy

What did you put on the customs form?

As far as I can remember, books, including comics are not subject to VAT (zero rated)

I filled it out as I normally do that it was a book and merchandise. Any other ideas on what this charge could be? I asked the buyer to clarify with the Post office. Either way I know I will end up refunding $33 and will learn a lesson for the future...do not ship out of the U.S.

I filled it out as I normally do that it was a book and merchandise. Any other ideas on what this charge could be? I asked the buyer to clarify with the Post office. Either way I know I will end up refunding $33 and will learn a lesson for the future...do not ship out of the U.S.

If the postage is correctly paid then this will be for import duty i.ei. VAT, but as the item does not attract VAT (zero-rated) then there should not be a charge.

The buyer should be able to go to the post office and say its a comic so not subject to VAT and it should be released without charge.

I would suggest you go back to the purchaser and ask them to query with the Post Office why they want to charge comics which should be zero rated. You should not have to pay anything further. Is the recepient a boardie?

He checked with the Post and they said it was a Duty tax. I advised him to let them know it is a book and inquire whether or not this item should be subject to this tax.

Thanks for all the info.

Andy

It's HM Revenue and customs. Comics are exempt from tax as they're printed material, but if it's not marked on the customs slip as 'Printed Papers' or 'comics' they will sometimes stop a package and charge import tax.

The buyer has two options, I suggest he read this thread.

The long and short is that he doesn't have to pay it, so can a) pay it and claim it back by proving the contents were printed matter or b) refuse the package so it gets sent back to HMRC for them to open it and prove it's printed material and waive the charges.

Note that neither option is comfortable and both are far from smooth procedures.

Either way I know I will end up refunding $33 and will learn a lesson for the future...do not ship out of the U.S.

No you won't have to refund $33. And in future when you ship to the UK just remember to put 'comics' or 'printed papers' on the customs form and it will never happen again. Just see it as a lesson learned, and don't let it stop you selling to UK buyers.

Sorry to hear that you've been left feeling a little shaken by this. I'm in the U.K. and 9 times out of 10, the comics that I get from eBay come from the U.S. or Canada. I've not ever had to pay any sort of duty in 10 years of buying (or selling, shipping etc).

Again, I'm sorry to hear this, but I would ask you to keep shipping to us guys in England .. We're not a bad bunch :)

Either way I know I will end up refunding $33 and will learn a lesson for the future...do not ship out of the U.S.

No you won't have to refund $33. And in future when you ship to the UK just remember to put 'comics' or 'printed papers' on the customs form and it will never happen again. Just see it as a lesson learned, and don't let it stop you selling to UK buyers.

+1

In a recent thread, Max Carnage quoted the actual customs code for printed matter items into the UK. Wish I'd bookmarked the thread now.

Anyway, as has been said, there is no applicable charge for the books and it just needs to be sorted out with Royal Mail so they release the books.

In a recent thread, Max Carnage quoted the actual customs code for printed matter items into the UK. Wish I'd bookmarked the thread now.

Anyway, as has been said, there is no applicable charge for the books and it just needs to be sorted out with Royal Mail so they release the books.

To be fair, it's not just Heritage - i've had ones from ComicLink before as well asking for VAT but luckily I've always managed to sort it out over the phone with parcel force or FedEx by supplying them with "tariff code" or "commodity code" 4902900000.

http://tariff.business.scotland.gov.uk/tariff-bl/export/commoditycode.html?export=true&from=heading&id=4902900000&simulationDate=24/02/12

Dave

+1

+2 , This happened to me a while back, the seller did not specify printed paper, so I ended up paying the extra,I wanted the books,so I thought it only right I should pay and not the seller, he made sure he put printed paper the next time, so don't let it put you off.

To be fair, it's not just Heritage - i've had ones from ComicLink before as well asking for VAT but luckily I've always managed to sort it out over the phone with parcel force or FedEx by supplying them with "tariff code" or "commodity code" 4902900000.

http://tariff.business.scotland.gov.uk/tariff-bl/export/commoditycode.html?export=true&from=heading&id=4902900000&simulationDate=24/02/12

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll make note of the code this time. :applause:

Never had the issue happen to me in all the years I've been buying internationally yet. :wishluck:

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. I will not stop shipping g to the UK and will make sure I put "comic book" on the customs form. From now on (though this is the first problem I have had).

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. I will not stop shipping g to the UK and will make sure I put "comic book" on the customs form. From now on (though this is the first problem I have had).

:applause:

:applause: