• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

So that's either one hell of a lot of dumbazz collectors, or it wasn't as "common sense" as you suggest.

If you go back and reread my post and see the context in which I used the words "common sense", you'll see that I said it was common sense to me after I was told about pressing through that phone call. It's a small difference but significant in the context of the discussion. Maybe common sense is the wrong phrase but I couldn't think of another.

So that's either one hell of a lot of dumbazz collectors, or it wasn't as "common sense" as you suggest.

If you go back and reread my post and see the context in which I used the words "common sense", you'll see that I said it was common sense to me after I was told about pressing through that phone call. It's a small difference but significant in the context of the discussion. Maybe common sense is the wrong phrase but I couldn't think of another.

Anyhow, this discussion is obviously just turning into another typical, emotionally charged pressing thread with nothing good coming out of it so I'm going to bow out.

Have fun all.

Thought you were bowing out... :baiting:

There is a myth that books get hammered for bends and NCB creases when in fact they don't. They downgrade slightly for them if at all, depending on the grade.

All of these myths are very "well known" and accepted by many people simply because they are repeated over and over on here even though they are not true.

If you stick to the facts, the myths disappear.

O.K., I'll bite:

There is a myth that books get hammered for bends and NCB creases when in fact they don't. They downgrade slightly for them if at all, depending on the grade.

These are myths. They were when I worked there and I have not seen any evidence of change since I left

Steve and Roy;

I can certainly buy the other ones as being myths, but you really can't be serious about this one here! :o

If what you are saying is really true, then nobody would be pressing their books. Why would anybody be wasting their time and money to press out NCB creases if the changes to the grade is slight at best, if anything at all.

So, based upon some of the many examples which we have seen on the boards here, I guess you would call going from 6.5 up to 9.0; going from 8.5 up to 9.4, or going from 9.2 up to 9.6, etc. is only slight at best, and in fact, really nothing at all. :screwy:

Correct.

Pressing as an industry would not exist unless there was a pay-off. The pay-off comes in grade increases. The grade increases after pressing because the initial flaw was down-graded, sometimes substantially.

I agree and disagree (is that even possible?). CGC does not hammer for bends or NBC crease, they down grade for them in the higher grades. So the "hammer" part is the myth. If you are grading and using very small increments, 9.2-9.4, 9.4-9.6, and so on, most of the difference in many cases are the defects we are talking about. Yes, the change in the books grade is slight at best, but the difference between 9.4 and 9.6 is slight as well. Now, if someone presses out a five inch NCB crease, the difference in grade can be huge. I do not call a five inch crease minor in the way of a defect when grading, so I can see a book jumping from mid to high grade. But just looking at a scan of the book on the boards in mid grade and then seeing the same book in a higher grade, just based on scans, I can see where someone would feel this is a big change in grade and they can't see the change in the books presentation.

And, yes, pressing would not exist as a business if there was no pay-off, but people were doing it for years before CGC, either for a better grade to make more money or just because they wanted to take a spine roll out of a book that was in their own personal collection. Now there is a bigger pay-off, so it is now a much bigger business than it used to be, and one that is now known to anyone who picks up an Overstreet, visits a chat board, talks to most sellers, etc.

Many here say "buy the book, not the label", which is cool, but that means the look of the book is more important than the grade to them. In that case, for the same exact price, those people would choose a high grade book without NCB bends/creases over the exact same book in, what looks at first glance the same grade, to a book with NCB bends/creases. Because once you look at both books for awhile, the book without the NCB defects, really is a higher grade.

BTW....the same goes for dry cleaning. I am happy that it is now done correctly and, mostly, undectable. In the "good old days" we would see heavy streaks across the books from dry cleaning, these days, we hardly see those streaks at all. And, yes, dry cleaning was practiced even more than pressing in the "good old days".

Anyhow, this discussion is obviously just turning into another typical, emotionally charged pressing thread with nothing good coming out of it so I'm going to bow out.

Have fun all.

Thought you were bowing out... :baiting:

I'm helpless when it comes to a good debate.

:tonofbricks:

Steve is dry cleaning, not considered restoration by CGC?

I see "cleaned" on labels all the time?

That would be solvent/water cleaning and is considered restoration.

Dry cleaning has been around for a long, long time.

Like "bad" pressing, CGC down grades for "bad" dry cleaning as it damages the book.

Sharon, I don't mean to speak on Steve's behalf, but the cleaning you see referenced on notes is usually relating to chemical washes. Any chemical agent used is restoration (i.e. cleaning, reglossing, etc.).

Dry cleaning, referred to in this way because there is no solvent or chemical involved, has never been considered restoration. Erasers, "wonder bread" and/or tissues used to remove light soiling, dust or smudges is not and has never been considered restoration. This type of cleaning is not one you would see referenced on a label notation, however depending on how the cleaning was performed, the signs of abrasion from cleaning might impact final grade.

I think what is interesting is the use of naptha for adhesive residue or glue stains. It evaporates rapidly and although many claim it doesn't leave an odour, it is a petroleum distliate and detection of residual VOC's from the use of naptha on a comic cover should be a no-brainer with the use of a VOC meter (detector). I mention this point because I know this has been used more and more over the years and wonder how CGC treats/detects this type of solvent use.

Ok please no more pressing discussion, thanks, new rules on my thread! Its been discussed already. Lets discuss Doug's collection. A couple of questions:

1. Where are these books going to be on display for the auction, Beverly Hills?

2. Where and how did Doug get the major pieces of his collection, all from the overstreet ads and people calling him (not to mention his unlimited source of funds from his client trust accounts at 0% interest)

You gamer, you.

lol

We need a pressing appreciation thread.

Why? These entire boards are one vast pressing appreciation thread.

Isn't that why the boards were created in the 1st place?

:jokealert:

Have fun all.

:foryou:

My new favorite hobby is counting the number of posts in a thread made by Roy after he says he's leaving a thread. :baiting:

Ok please no more pressing discussion, thanks, new rules on my thread! Its been discussed already. Lets discuss Doug's collection. A couple of questions:

1. Where are these books going to be on display for the auction, Beverly Hills?

2. Where and how did Doug get the major pieces of his collection, all from the overstreet ads and people calling him (not to mention his unlimited source of funds from his client trust accounts at 0% interest)

They will be on display in Berverly Hills 2 days before the auction and during the auction until each lot comes up for sale. If you can't make it to the viewing, view the books in high-res at www.ha.com

Doug has put this collection together for over 20 years. He bought from most major sellers and collectors, privately and at conventions. I loves to say he was the "1st call" sellers would make when trying to sell a super high grade Marvel.

Thank you both...I'm not planning on submitting it, but does this mean I can erase the pencil someone used to color in the title of my Leading Comic #6, lol? I asked for a practical reason;)

Sharon,

If you are serious, please call me before doing anything to a book. I will be glad to help you if possible.