• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Does This Book Get a 9.8 Yellow Label?

51 posts in this topic

So basically they are saying that the other signature is a flaw and that the Stan Lee signature is the only one recognized as being authentic. That's interesting to say the least. hm

I believe this was the polybag variant that was signed by the artist and randomly inserted.

Stan signed it which was "witnessed" to get yellow.

The previous sig was a defect that brought the grade down from a 10.0 to a 9.8.

I think that was the death of ultimate spiderman issue, the certificate was the back cover & cgc made an exception for those to be yellow; this was the bagged, black logo Hickman signed Torch death issue & no arrangements were made with cgc to accept them as verified sigs.

As long as there's one verified sig, doesn't it go yellow regardless of whether there's an unverified one to make it green.

(shrug)

I think that was the death of ultimate spiderman issue, the certificate was the back cover & cgc made an exception for those to be yellow; this was the bagged, black logo Hickman signed Torch death issue & no arrangements were made with cgc to accept them as verified sigs.

As long as there's one verified sig, doesn't it go yellow regardless of whether there's an unverified one to make it green.

(shrug)

It does stay yellow, but other peoples books with unverified sigs were dropped to 7.5 when the unverified sig was considered as a defect.

(shrug)

It does stay yellow, but other peoples books with unverified sigs were dropped to 7.5 when the unverified sig was considered as a defect.

I have no idea what impact an unverified signature has on grade (I think I saw the drop you are referring to here a couple weeks ago) but I think the unverified signature is only a factor when it's a blue label. My understanding is that these yellow or green labels are both 'qualified' grades - meaning they both ignore the signature as a defect.

(shrug)

I have no idea what impact an unverified signature has on grade (I think I saw the drop you are referring to here a couple weeks ago) but I think the unverified signature is only a factor when it's a blue label. My understanding is that these yellow or green labels are both 'qualified' grades - meaning they both ignore the signature as a defect.

You're right that yellow and green labels are both Qualified, and an unverified signature will be ignored on a green label, just like it a verified signature will be ignored on a yellow label book (when it comes to the grade).

An unverified signature on the cover of a yellow label book will not be ignored, however - it's treated as a grade-dropping defect, and should have dropped the grade on this book to 7.5 - 8.0 or so. Just like a missing page on a yellow label book drops the grade to a 0.5 even though the missing page would have been ignored if the holder had been green.

It's a mistake from CGC's side - that's all.

I believe this was the polybag variant that was signed by the artist and randomly inserted.

For an unverified sig on the cover you're talking about a huge grade drop - think 9.8 to 7.5 :thumbsup:

For an unverified sig on the cover you're talking about a huge grade drop - think 9.8 to 7.5 :thumbsup:

That seems excessive. I have a book with one unverified signature and one verified one and it is still a 9.0

i believe the ff#587 regular issues 1st print were all sold polybagged. now a selected few of these were signed before the were bagged. When a customer purchased this book there was no way of knowing if you got a signed or unsigned book because they were all polybagged the same, it was pot luck. if the booked was unbagged right in front of Stan Lee with a CGC witness present maybe they did not give any grade reduction because of this situation.

this may be correct or it may not . it's just a possibility.