• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Stan Lee retiring?

43 posts in this topic

I can't read the link. I heard through the grapevine that he was canceling some upcoming show appearances, on the advice of his advisors, and that they were worried about him working too hard.

Damn I guess I will have to send the books off or wait until next year. Glad I got my FF #5 and TTA 27 signed in Pittsburgh.

Ill bring my other keys with me just incase but damn what a bummer.

I agree, this was in the article "While Lieberman died on May 1, Kobayashi said the collective fatigue of multiple appearances tied to “The Avengers” release have made it necessary for Lee to clear his upcoming schedule. Lee will be appearing Saturday at the Dallas Comic-Con but will cut the trip short and will not be at the Texas event on Sunday as previously announced."

Stan needs to cut back some things.

It sounds like Stan cancelled all scheduled appearances. :(

I hope it's not health related, though at his age one has to wonder. I also keep reading about continued legal woes as well, and this would take a toll on anyone.

Best of luck to Stan, whatever the issue is.

I hope it's not health related, though at his age one has to wonder. I also keep reading about continued legal woes as well, and this would take a toll on anyone.

What legal woes?

This is disheartening. I know the various opinions of Stan as both a guest and getting an autograph/photo with him, but Wizard World Chicago in August was going to be the first time I'd ever had the chance to meet "The Man".

It sucks, but I hope whatever he's going through is resolved and he takes as much time as he needs to himself.

I can't read the link. I heard through the grapevine that he was canceling some upcoming show appearances, on the advice of his advisors, and that they were worried about him working too hard.

Stan Lee has canceled his Monday appearance at the 2012 Hero Complex Film Festival, according to Theo Dumont, a spokesman at Lee’s POW Entertainment.

Lee, the 89-year-old comic book icon, was the centerpiece of the final night of the festival, which was also to include video-taped greetings from industry peers and Hollywood elite as well as a screening of “X-Men,” the movie that 12 years ago ushered in the new era of superhero cinema. The festival, in its third year, will now end on Sunday night.

Lee is distraught and depressed about the recent death of business associate Arthur Lieberman, according to Yuka Kobayashi, another staffer at POW Entertainment. While Lieberman died on May 1, Kobayashi said the collective fatigue of multiple appearances tied to “The Avengers” release have made it necessary for Lee to clear his upcoming schedule. Lee will be appearing Saturday at the Dallas Comic-Con but will cut the trip short and will not be at the Texas event on Sunday as previously announced.

Lee will be canceling all other upcoming events on his schedule, according to Kobayashi. Lee himself could not be reached for comment.

POW is also dealing with new legal challenges, according to a story in the Hollywood Reporter.

Ticket holders for the sold-out Monday night event will be contacted directly by email. Single-night ticket holders for Monday’s program will get refunds within the next 24 hours.

Ticket holders who have a Festival Pass will get a voucher for free popcorn and a free soda and also a guaranteed seat at the next edition of the Hero Complex IMAX Screening Series, which features early screenings of Hollywood’s biggest films. Dates, title and location of that screening will be sent via email, when available. The Festival Passes remain valid for the seven other screenings and tie-in programming that runs Friday through Sunday.

– Geoff Boucher

What legal woes?

http://thegaminggang.com/2012/05/more-legal-woes-for-stan-lee/

Stan is overall extremely happy and always has something to look forward to, which are two big factors that help elderly people stay healthy and live long. he also stands and walks a lot, which is another big one. But he overextends himself and hates to say no when people want to give him accolades. I have seen elderly legends do this too much and then ignore the signs they are wearing themselves out until it's too late. Stan has seen that too and tries to be aware of it.

Aside from Arthur's passing there are also the ever-present legal pressures. The con artist, felon and all-around scumbag Peter Paul brought Stan very low some years back and (after getting out prison) has resumed doing all he can to bring Stan down

All the more reason he should take it easy and spread out the commitments a bit more.

Would be sad to see him leave the cons, but he has been touring like crazy and it is understandable at his age.

I'm really glad I sprang to meet him last year. He was extremely nice when I got to meet him.