• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you remember your first comic book?

24 posts in this topic

Thor 247. I was 7-8 I think. Cover soon came off, and I took an ink pen and traced around the characters, filled in some eyes, etc. It was trashed fast. I remember it had the jagged "Still only 25 cents" price. I was able to figure out the exact issue a few years back. I think my mom bought it for me when we were at the Red Owl. It must have been tossed, cause it didn't make it with the others I still have. That was the only 25 cent book I ever got off the rack. Next ones I bought were 30 centers, I didn't destroy those (read em ragged though).

My first comics were my sister's Archie comics. The one I remember distinctly is Archie Annual #22 so that was around 1971. She stopped reading them shortly thereafter and I never stopped.

Like they always say, "the first one's free."

I don't know what my first comic was, but my earliest comic book memory is circa 1965, sitting in the backseat of my parents' '64 Dodge Dart, reading a Sad Sack comic on a sunny Ohio afternoon, waiting for one or both of them to return to the car. I am five or six.

I pretty much stuck to Sad Sack and other Harvey books until 1968. My mother has taken me and some friends on a picnic by the river, and purchased comic books of our choice. One of my friends, a girl no less, had plucked Captain America 103 from the rack. I am intrigued by the dynamic Kirby artwork and the vague WW2 references. Within a year my loyalty has moved to Marvel.

1971. I am now a "collector" with cabinet full of mostly Marvels, and though I will continue to sporadically collect new and vintage superhero comics and ECs for the next few years, the biggest revelation of that time was discovering a copy of R. Crumb's Head Comix on the coffee table at a hippie friend of my mother's. My interest in other genres may wax and wane over the ensuing decades, but my affection for underground comix has sustained for 40 years.